In need of advice for new makeup brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have quite a few brushes, but since they are a bit older they are starting to shed, to see which brushes I have here is a video showing them:

0.jpg

I was wondering what brands are good but not super expensive?

I ordered a bobbi brown brush as a gift to myself but I can't afford too many of them since they are soo expensive (but hopefully worth it) I was wondering if sigma is any good? I have heard a bit about them but not much, they are not expensive which is great, but shipping is a bit high which to me is a downfall :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Any suggestions?

Mod Edit - please be sure to embed all videos, as per our TOS, thank you!

I have never tried any sigma brushes so I am sorry I cannot help with that aspect but I was at TJ Maxx and I found these brushes called Cala the luxury collection, I got each for $2 on sale but they are only around $6 online and I love them. I reach for them more often than I do my MAC brushes. If you have a TJ Maxx near you I would look there for some brushes. I was surprised how many mine has for really good prices.

sadly in Canada there is no TJ maxx, I live close enough to the Niagara falls, NY and buffalo, NY boarders though if I can find one over there

The few elf brushes that I've had have been good and very cheap. Sonia Kasha (sp?) and Eco Tool have some great ones too. I just got a set of Real Technique brushes for Christmas, and I LOVE them. They're my current favorite.

I've seen a lot on Youtube about Sigma brushes and many use them, but I do not have any.

thanks for the advice :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have seen elf around, and I actually just discovered the other day I have a few elf products in my makeup bag ahha my mom got them for me when I was 19 and I didn't know about elf before youtube so I just noticed the other day that I have their liquid liner

I have mini sets of both Cala and EcoTools -- I have a feeling they are manufactured by the same company and then sold under different labels. I use them regularly and like them. I got a few Crown brushes, but find them too scratchy, so I rarely grab for them. I have a Sonia Kashuk #4 that I use for foundation, and I love it. I tried two Makeup Geek shadow brushes, which are good, but I don't gravitate to them when applying my makeup - not really sure why. I have a couple Elf brushes, which work fine, especially for the price, but certainly not my dream brushes. I am super excited to get a set of BDellium brushes in a few weeks at IMATS. It's funny, because I've never tried them, but the reviews are so consistently good, and the pricing is so reasonable, that I'm just going to go for it and buy a set.

I see you live in LA you're so lucky.. the shopping is waaay better there and cheaper than where I live (Toronto, Canada)..I was in LA this summer and I so regret not buying more makeup there! I only had a few days there and I didn't watch youtube or read forums back when I went in August so I really wish I knew more about these things when I went

I live about an hour outside of LA proper (with no traffic) so my actual community has minimal shopping options. We have an Ulta, a very small Sephora inside the JCPenney, and a small Macy's (which does have a decent Mac and Benefit counter). Gas prices being what they are, I don't get to go shopping down in LA proper very often, but if I really wanted to make a day of it, I can. I also go to Vegas several times a year -- and never seem to have time to hit the great stores there because they are always work trips for Kenny (my hubby). Last time we did manage to get to one of the outlets, which didn't have makeup, but did have great fashion opportunities like a pair of jeweled Aldo heels for $10. Have you attended the IMATS in Toronto? You should look into going, especially if you are interested in new brushes. There are several lines that show there, and you can check out the brushes, and get a disccount on any purchases.

ahh vegas you lucky girl...dying to go there, I turned 21 this past September and I really wanna go!! and whats IMATS ?? I have never heard of it

I'm going to slightly amend my previous post -- many vendors offer a discount, so there is a very good chance the brushes you can purchase will be cheaper at the show.

Vegas is fun, but the majority of my trips there are work related (my hubby performs there, and I sell at a specialty convention there as well). I always tell myself that I will do some fun stuff while there, but mostly it doesn't happen, except for attending my hubby's show. IMATS is the International Makeup Artist Trade Show that has 6 shows per year, in various cities, including Toronto. There is a lot of info about it on the web, and some threads and articles here on Makeup Talk that you can check out.

ELF Studio brushes are my favorite inexpensive brushes, I use them alongside my pricier brushes. I'd skip the ELF Essentials brushes though, most of them are terrible. I'm not really a fan of EcoTools or Sigma overall, but they're fine, they each have a couple brushes I like.

ELF has two brush lines, the core line with the white handles, and their Studio line, with the black handles. The Studio ones are amazing, the core ones are meh. Not a big deal since the Studio ones are only a dollar or two more. 

Eco tools has alright face brushes, their eye brushes are horrible, in my experience. They might work for you, though. I need small, precise brushes because I'm short and build small and most things in this world are made for people bigger than me. I'm not a little person, just.. short.

Sonia Kashuik has two brush lines as well, the black-handled ones are somewhat pricey but very good. Her kits are good as well. I don't have many of her brushes because I can get brushes from companies I love for the same price.

Japonesque makes a lot of good brushes that aren't expensive at all. They have a five-piece travel set that's only $20, with a powder/blush brush, a small eye brush, a larger eye brush, a lip brush, and a concealer brush (that can be used as an additional eye brush). They also have a four-piece eye travel set that's $16.50, and contains short-handled versions of all of their amazing eye brushes. There are very few angled liner brushes out there that stay as precise through use and washings, and none this cheap. If you want long-handled versions, they have those as well, but not in a kit. 

Sephora's house brand, Sephora Collection, has a huge array of brushes, and they have a Canadian site. The ones in kits are the way to go, and there's always a decent choice of different kits. They're very good, sold singly or in kits, but they're much more affordable in the kits. They have their own five-piece eye travel set for C$26, there's a full set on sale for C$29 that contains a flat powder brush, a domed powder brush, a shadow brush, an angled liner brush (the angled liners that come in Sephora kits are my absolute favorites, I have at least five of them), and a smudger brush. The Canadian site has 26 different brush sets right now, worth taking a look.

Tarte, Sigma, and Illamasqua make my favorite face brushes, but those are all rather expensive, even in kits. Sigma brushes are often faked, so I wouldn't advise anyone to purchase them from Ebay, but Tarte has flooded the market with both their discontinued purple-handled brushes and their newer bamboo-handled brushes, knocking the prices down so low no one has bothered to counterfeit them (yet, anyway). Ebay is full of them, both the American and the Canadian sites. You can pick up a fantastic foundation brush for C$13.56 shipped, for example. There's also a single listing from one seller with nearly all of the good brushes, most of them at the lowest 'Buy It Now' price. The purple-handled blush brush is the same as the bamboo-handled blush brush, people just want more for the bamboo one because it's newer. You can probably get all of those cheaper if you're willing to bid, as well. Some of the brushes are mislabeled, so if you want to check on a brush based on the picture, use this page.

Sorry for all the words! I really love brushes, have waaaay too many even though I just gave 20+ to a friend as part of a starter kit for getting into cosmetics, and figured the links would be helpful. Hope you find some awesome deals and brushes you love.

The more I become experienced with my makeup, the more I'm really finding myself prefer a higher quality brush. For the longest time I threw my money away purchasing cheaper brushes, only to have them constantly shed and break on me. It just seems a better policy to invest a little more on the front end and to have them be more durable and well made. You get what you pay for sometimes. I am good about cleaning my brushes: I keep an old coffee mug labeled, "dirty brushes" and put the ones I use in there and wash them often with a gentle cleanser. Once my brushes are clean, I store them in large apothecary type jars with lids on them to keep dust and grime off of them. For most of my brushes, I wash them and use brush guards on them for drying. (Brush guards don't work well on densely packed brushes like large kabuki brushes so I skip them with those since they take too long to dry.) Here's a quick review on the brushes I currently own. I hope it helps! If you're just starting out, I'd really recommend some Real Techniques brushes: This happened to one of my elf studio brushes this morning. This is the fifth time I've had an elf brush break on me. I won't be repurchasing them again because they just don't last. Instead of throwing away money here and there on cheaper brushes, I'm seeing it would be a better investment to maybe spend a bit more up front for better quality ones that will hold up well with good care.
I've also had issues with the Eco Tools brushes shedding on me. Their domed bronzing brush was horrible, and took so long to dry after cleaning that it started to develop a musty/mold smell because the fibers were so dense and it wasn't drying quickly enough to prevent it from developing that smell. (This was without a brush guard on it, I had gently wrung it out, and laid flat to dry; it took several days and smelled so awful I had to wash it again. It is just not a good brush. Since I have smaller hands, I also find it difficult to really grip and work with. I don't care for the other brushes I own from that line either. I like that they are Eco-friendly, but the quality is just horrible. As far as Sonia Kashuk goes, I really enjoy her black line of brushes and own several of them; I like her blush brush and her eye shadow brushes. I use them daily! I will say this however, her special edition Kabuki brush with the cute colors is one of the most horrific brushes I've ever owned! It sheds worse than my pets do! It just isn't even usable because of that. So, I wouldn't purchase her colorful/special edition brushes, but I would repurchase from her black line of brushes. I do think they're a little overpriced though. Target occasionally puts out coupons, so check for those! As far as MAC goes, once again, I wouldn't purchase their special brush kits. They're not the best quality and tend to shed. Their individual brushes however are worth the splurge and made better in my opinion! I especially like their brush for Creme Blush and their flat foundation brush (not sure what the numbers are.) Mary Kay: Back in 08' I bought a kit from them and to this day I still use and enjoy them. They've held up very well! The only thing I dislike is the brush material can be a little rough and will shed on occasion, but it's so minimal that it isn't bothersome. I feel like a lot of people don't mention those brushes, but they do last! Urban Decay: I own two of their eyeshadow brushes that came with Naked 2 and Naked 3. I love them! They never shed and apply well. The only thing I dislike is that they are double sided and I prefer individual brushes, but it really isn't a big deal! Sephora and Ulta both sell nice brushes from their store brand lines that I like. I do think that they are overpriced however, but I am happy with the quality of the ones I own. I would wait for a F&F sale or a coupon to purchase them. BH cosmetics has a few nice brushes that I like. I especially love their large fan brush; it doesn't shed and is lovely to work with! They are inexpensive and hold up well. They also do promo codes and sales. Laura Mercier: the only brush I own from her line is her Tightline brush, and I adore it! Real Techniques: this entire line is affordable and terrific! If you buy them at Ulta with a coupon, they are even more affordable! I love this line and think it's well made. My brushes are easy to clean, apply makeup well, and do not shed. I'm very happy with that line and have bought several individual brushes and kits and the consistency and quality is the same. Sigma: Sigmax line: these are my absolute favorite brushes. Hands down! I use them every single day! I enjoy both the face and eye brushes. I also found their customer service to be really nice too. I'd sign up for their mailing list and wait until a sale or coupon code, then order a few or a Sigmax kit! Wayne Goss brushes: I ordered two off of Beautylish and they came in the mail yesterday. So while it's soon to give a review on them because I haven't had the chance to use the much yet, I'm already impressed with them! (They may wind up passing the Sigmax line as a favorite but only time will tell!). They are soft, very well made, apply makeup flawlessly, and the quality is terrific! Beautylish staff is very kind and the shipping was very fast! I absolutely plan to order a few more eventually! I feel like these are worth the investment! If you're on the fence with the cost, maybe just try one or two starting out. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks for all your advice, I have a lot of brushes from different places but I am addicted to shopping lol...I am going to ulta for my first time today :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />,can't wait to go to the states

My friend just picked up great set of essential makeup brushes in a set she got on Amazon. Their really soft and haven't been shedding at all. After shipping they were still priced lower than store bought brands like Sigma and Elf. i can't remember the brand name but she said she found them by searching for "designer makeup brush kit"

good luck!
sunshine.gif

thanks!! I went to ulta yesterday and bare minerals, got 6 amazing brushes for only $35...I am so happy amazing deals!

Back