What recently hyped products have you discovered to be duds?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I figure that Christmas was a few weeks ago, we all probably got a lot of beauty items we were excited about - but did everything live up to your expectations? What recent product have you discovered to be a dud (or at least not measuring up to your expectations?)

For me, it's the Vice 2 palette from Urban Decay. I was SO excited for this one. It looked great online, and once it was in stores I raced to play with it. It was on my Christmas list, but I got really lucky and got it for free a few weeks before Christmas. (My coworker's wife is one of the top buyers for Macy's, and she gets a ton of samples from beauty companies. When my coworker told me he'd bring me stuff she didn't want, I was think the kind of samples we get from Birchbox. Man was I surprised when he brought the Vice 2 and the stila eyeliner holiday set!)

My boyfriend was pretty upset that his Christmas gift had been stolen out from underneath him, but looking back I'm glad he didn't spend money on this palette. It's not that I don't like it - I do - it just didn't live up to my expectations. A lot of the shades have major fall-out, and most of the mico-glitter ones don't actually show the glitter that well. Plus, I've discovered it's hard to have a complete look with just this palette.

Overall, I don't mind having the Vice 2 palette in my arsenal and will probably use it from time to time, but I would never spend money on it, nor would I recommend anyone else do so. It just wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be.

Maybelline Baby Skin Primer....  It's not a dupe for Benefit Porefessional in my opinion.  I went out and bought it after watching a review on Youtube saying it was a dupe but in my experience it is not.  I've thought about taking it back but think I'll go ahead and just use it up, it wasn't that expensive.  I don't see myself repurchasing it though. 

Benefit Pore Professional does nothing for me. I've tried to use it different way.....it did nada for me; but Benefit Stay flawless primer is fantastic!

Too Faced Better than Sex mascara. A lot of people seem to love it, but it didn't do anything special for my lashes and it majorly irritated my eyelids. I couldn't wear any eye makeup for five days until my eyes were healed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bluephoeenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Benefit They're Real mascara. It makes my lashes look like spider legs. Glad I didn't buy it.
I agree with this 100%. It was really really clumpy and made my lashes look terrible. I know it works for a lot of people, but it did not work for me at all. 

I agree with this 100%. It was really really clumpy and made my lashes look terrible. I know it works for a lot of people, but it did not work for me at all. 
I third this. Really unimpressed with this mascara!

I figure that Christmas was a few weeks ago, we all probably got a lot of beauty items we were excited about - but did everything live up to your expectations? What recent product have you discovered to be a dud (or at least not measuring up to your expectations?) For me, it's the Vice 2 palette from Urban Decay. I was SO excited for this one. It looked great online, and once it was in stores I raced to play with it. It was on my Christmas list, but I got really lucky and got it for free a few weeks before Christmas. (My coworker's wife is one of the top buyers for Macy's, and she gets a ton of samples from beauty companies. When my coworker told me he'd bring me stuff she didn't want, I was think the kind of samples we get from Birchbox. Man was I surprised when he brought the Vice 2 and the stila eyeliner holiday set!) My boyfriend was pretty upset that his Christmas gift had been stolen out from underneath him, but looking back I'm glad he didn't spend money on this palette. It's not that I don't like it - I do - it just didn't live up to my expectations. A lot of the shades have major fall-out, and most of the mico-glitter ones don't actually show the glitter that well. Plus, I've discovered it's hard to have a complete look with just this palette. Overall, I don't mind having the Vice 2 palette in my arsenal and will probably use it from time to time, but I would never spend money on it, nor would I recommend anyone else do so. It just wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be.
I actually really like the vice 2 palette. Can't say I've had any issues with the quality of the shadows.....but I did find the palette to be a little unimaginative. Only a handful of shadows really pop out. I wish I had got this before a few of my other more colourful palettes....seems like something for people with a bit of a smaller shadow collection.

Givenchy tent de couture foundation. Way too pricey for kind of meh coverage. Also Guerlain meteorites.....I get it as a collector thing, but I really don't see it showing up much on my skin.

I've recently had some disappointing purchases both high-end snd drugstore. The first is Target's Amazonian Clay Blush (baby doll); I put off buying this for so long and when I finally did I was super bummed out. Unfortunately I do not have a Sephora or an Ulta where I live and I typically wait to buy more expensive products after I have tested them at one of these stores but I ordered it anyway because of such high reviews. I'm not sure if it's just with this color, but I feel like this is hard to work with. I have to build the color up so much in order to show on my cheeks, which is weird because I'm super pale (NW 15 in MAC). I don't agree this is 12 hour wear and I personally find that it fades patchey

Sorry.. wasn't done. I feel that the blush is patchy as it fades. I'm trying to work with it but I'm just not impressed. The other item that I've heard so many good things on is the healthy skin foundation from Neutrogena. I had bought this again after reading and seeing so many high reviews on this foundation. When I used it the first time I felt like it made my skin appear dry and flaky and made my fine lines look more pronounced. I used it a second time with a primer from Lancome and it still looked like crap. I took that back to Walgreens and was able to get two of Rimmel's Matte foundations (which I absolutely love).

Jack Black Lip Balm. Basically, I paid $8+tax for a tiny tube of Vaseline. Yes, it works, but not any better than, oh, say, Vaseline!

Quote: Originally Posted by jellybeanjean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I third this. Really unimpressed with this mascara!
I liked how it applied but I don't know if I'll ever use it again, since it's a pain to remove!

I think my biggest disappointment has been Bioderma. In terms of makeup, the NARS eye primer wasn't as good for me as UDPP ultimately was

Blinc mascara. Unless you're born with perfectly-spaced lashes that never cross one another's path, you will end up with gluey, clustered-up lashes wrapped in micro plastic tubes. I found them a pain in the tuchas to remove!

Not really recent but I can not, for the life of me, get urban decay primer potion to work on my eyelids. I've tried using every amount possible from a tiny tiny bit to slathering it all over. My eyeshadow is gone within 2 hours. Shadow insurance and the nars ones work for me it's just something in primer potion that doesn't jive with my eyelids for some reason.

I'm not a fan of UDPP either. It doesn't perform any better on me than cheaper eye primers I've had before. But I love shadow insurance.

Quote: Originally Posted by blushingsooner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Maybelline Baby Skin Primer....  It's not a dupe for Benefit Porefessional in my opinion.  I went out and bought it after watching a review on Youtube saying it was a dupe but in my experience it is not.  I've thought about taking it back but think I'll go ahead and just use it up, it wasn't that expensive.  I don't see myself repurchasing it though. 
I agree; it's just "eh."  I had the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind primer and it feels and looks exactly the same, except the Baby Skin one is clear and not slightly pinkish.  They both feel a bit greasy to me.

I'm really disappointed in the Naked3 palette. Formula just doesn't compare to previous 2. Lots of fallout and most of the shades aren't very pigmented.

Same here. The Porefessional did nothing for my combination skin. I found NYX's primer actually works a lot better for me and is even less than half the price!

Benefit's "Porefessional" & Bobbi Brown's "Lash Glamour Extreme Lengthening Mascara" were both disappointments for me.

The primer did nothing for me. It also caused my skin to break out.

The mascara was not as bold as they advertise. I will happily stick with my Clinique macara which is alot cheaper.

Back