Cruelty Free Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for cruelty free makeup- any ideas.  I currently use MAC and love it but then read from several sources that they are no longer cruelty free.  Some sources say that it is because MAC now sells its products in China and they require animal testing. While I am not sure if that is true, I did search MACs Web site and cannot find the their cruelty free statement anywhere. 

Friends told me to try Almay and a few other brands but after researching, I found out that their parent companies indeed test on animals.  I was excited to try Elf but I've search high and low at different stores and can only find eyes hadow and blush.  I hesitate to purchase foundation and powder online. 

Any suggestions??

I don't use MAC because any research that I have found says that they sell in China, and I personally choose not to buy a brand that sells in China since they require testing. I have also heard that Almay is not cruelty free.

PETA, Leaping Bunny, and logicalharmony.net keep lists of cruelty free brands. I think logicalharmony.net focuses on vegan brands mostly. Phyrra is a blogger who also only shows cruelty free items.

Drugstore brands I use Wet n Wild, Physcians Formula, Milani, Jordana, Eco Bella and elf. There's not a lot of drugstore brands that are cruelty free.

High end brands I use are Tarte, Urban Decay, theBalm, Bare Minerals and Too Faced. Of course there are many more high end cruelty free brands.

I don't use many indie brands, but I like Brija too.

http://features.peta.org/cruelty-free-company-search/index.aspx

Here, on the PETA website, you can search for any type of makeup and it lists CF brands or you can see an entire list of cosmetic brands alphabetically. M.A.C./Estee Lauder is listed as a testing cosmetic line. Loreal is also a branch of that company and we all know what Loreal does.... As far as personal favorites: Urban Decay is an amazing CF brand. As is Too Faced and Stila Cosmetics

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  http://features.peta.org/cruelty-free-company-search/index.aspx

Here, on the PETA website, you can search for any type of makeup and it lists CF brands or you can see an entire list of cosmetic brands alphabetically. M.A.C./Estee Lauder is listed as a testing cosmetic line. Loreal is also a branch of that company and we all know what Loreal does.... As far as personal favorites: Urban Decay is an amazing CF brand. As is Too Faced and Stila Cosmetics

Stila started selling in China. http://www.phyrra.net/2013/10/stila-cosmetics-longer-cruelty-free.html :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by eucala08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Stila started selling in China. http://www.phyrra.net/2013/10/stila-cosmetics-longer-cruelty-free.html :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Well, damn. PETA needs to update their website! I was reading a post in the thread...oh gosh I can't remember right now...but someone said that Urban Decay was made in China..is that true?! If I lose UD I'll die.

Well, damn. PETA needs to update their website! I was reading a post in the thread...oh gosh I can't remember right now...but someone said that Urban Decay was made in China..is that true?! If I lose UD I'll die.
I don't know if they make their stuff in China, but as long as it's not sold in China they don't have to test it on animals. elf is made in China, but it is considered cruelty free because of that. Urban Decay did get bought by Loreal last year, but they say that they're maintaining their cruelty free status. I can accept that. I'll buy from brands whose parent company is not cruelty free just because I hope that maybe if they see their cruelty free lines doing well that they'll get the message. Before Urban Decay got bought by Loreal they almost started to sell in China until their customers here fussed about it and started boycotting. So, they backed down and instead sold themselves to Loreal. I've seen on the internet that some people still won't buy from them because their message last year did seem hypocritical that they had a stance against animal cruelty and then decided to sell in China, backed down on it and then sold to Loreal.

Okay..now I'm just straight-up confused. I have never used NARS products, nor do I plan to, because I've always heard they are NOT cruelty free. Well, Phyrra clearly has a recent review over the new NARS collection here:
http://www.phyrra.net/2014/01/nars-spring-gifting-collection.html

But I googled "Is NARS cruelty free" and found this interesting article:
 http://humanelychic.blogspot.com/2013/02/nars-bareminerals.html

Now, I'm just going by what I've been known to be true for years that NARS is not CF. They aren't affiliated with PETA and I figured someone such as Phyrra who prides herself on only using CF brands would know this.....

@KaitlinKolors Bare Minerals and Nars are both owned by Shiseido. Maybe Shiseido doesn't want to do the whole PETA or Leaping Bunny certification. logicalharmony.net lists Nars as being cruelty free too, and the lady who runs logicalharmony.net has always seemed very thorough with her research. I had always went by PETA or Leaping Bunny till I learned that not all companies choose to get certified from those organizations but are still cruelty free.

Edit: Shiseido is not cruelty free which could be why they don't see the point in getting their brands that are cruelty free a label from PETA or Leaping Bunny.

I'm so glad you  made this post!!!!!

Cruelty-free beauty is currently my jam! I'm so into it- this year my #1 resolution is to transition all beauty and household items to cruelty-free versions.

I've spent so much time reading cruelty-free blogs (My Beauty Bunny, Humanely Chic, etc) and scouring the Peta and Leaping Bunny lists for my items this year, and I think I've found some really great products!

Ok, firstly, anything sold in China is mandated to be tested on animals. I heard rumors of them wavering or rethinking this after the European Union came out with that statement about their ban on animal testing on any cosmetics products sold there. I hope hope hope this works out, as this would eliminate the need for probably >70% of companies to test on animals.

Anyway, I kind of agree with MyBeautyBunny's view:

Quote:  We believe that supporting animal-friendly companies goes a long way toward the eventual elimination of animal testing. If the parent companies see the successes of their brands who do not test, it’s a win. It’s also a win for the animal-friendly companies to get larger distribution in mass channels by being involved with huge companies. That’s our personal opinion here at My Beauty Bunny and we invite you to make up your own mind on the matter!

Read more from My Beauty Bunny: http://www.mybeautybunny.com/cruelty-free-brands/#ixzz2qOWLJhd7
So in that vein, I do buy Urban Decay products, and I would buy  bareMinerals, but I wouldn't buy Sheseido products directly- although they are considering changing their stance, I've ready, since the EU ban statement.

You should totally join the Cruelty-free group! It totally needs more activity! I just made a recent post about my cruelty-free beauty routines (makeup, skincare, hair, and body) but no one replied yet.

Anyway, these are my go-to companies:

Dr. Bronner's (soaps)

Tarte (makeup)

Physician's Formula (drugstore)

Elf (drugstore- Walmart, Target)

Wet N Wild (drugstore- Walmart)

Hard Candy (Walmart)

Paula's Choice (proven skincare- online only)

Supergoop (SPF)

NYX (makeup- Ulta, some Targets)

Jane Iredale (online only)

EcoTools (makeup tools and brushes)

Alba (Target, some drugstores- mainly skincare)

Acure Organics (mainly skincare, Target, health food stores)

Burt's Bees (Target, drugstores- makeup and skincare)

Tom's of Maine (Dental hygiene)

Lavanilla (sephora- perfume and deodorant)

If you want to see my routine (it's kind of long because I'm OCD) you can see it here, in the cruelty-free group: https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/140252/share-your-cruelty-free-beauty-routine

Okay..now I'm just straight-up confused. I have never used NARS products, nor do I plan to, because I've always heard they are NOT cruelty free. Well, Phyrra clearly has a recent review over the new NARS collection here: http://www.phyrra.net/2014/01/nars-spring-gifting-collection.html But I googled "Is NARS cruelty free" and found this interesting article:  http://humanelychic.blogspot.com/2013/02/nars-bareminerals.html Now, I'm just going by what I've been known to be true for years that NARS is not CF. They aren't affiliated with PETA and I figured someone such as Phyrra who prides herself on only using CF brands would know this.....  
MyBeautyBunny is posting a bunch of stuff about NARS on Twitter today. I was like... wtf, they're not cruelty-free. So confusing.

Quote: Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MyBeautyBunny is posting a bunch of stuff about NARS on Twitter today. I was like... wtf, they're not cruelty-free. So confusing.
I am slowly going cruelty-free. I've stopped buying big drugstore brands like Loreal and Revlon but it is proving to be harder to truly go CF with the confusion of some of these higher end brands. One website says such and such is CF and another says they're not. I'd hate to be using a brand thinking they don't test on animals and it turns out they do. Or even worse, not using a brand not knowing they truly are CF. So much confusion. 

I read on a cruelty free blog that urban decay is owned by L'oreal (who tests on animals), but PETA is a huge fan of Urban Decay, so I might have to look into it more. This is a great forum as I'm trying to be cruelty free. Edit: L'oreal acquired Urban Decay in 2013, a quick google search can confirm this, and PETA has since stopped supporting the brand.

Can anyone help me find a Fresh dupe for the color Plum? I need a cruelty free brand. I asked in the Sephora forum and received a nasty response calling me names from someone saying they were sick of people talking about China and then my question was deleted and someone suggested I ask in a vegan forum which makes no sense as I am not looking for vegan make-up. It doesn't need to be vegan as I am not vegan. Someone suggested Hurrah Cherry which is a cherry shade? I am looking for a dark purple/plum/blackberry/brownish purple tint/sheer/etc. No lipsticks. I was just never going to post again to avoid nasty responses but I need to post more in order to qualify to sell/trade.

Thanks! Hopefully this doesn't make anyone else angry because i'm a little tired of being insulted/name calling for asking a question.

Quote: Originally Posted by sydneychantelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read on a cruelty free blog that urban decay is owned by L'oreal (who tests on animals), but PETA is a huge fan of Urban Decay, so I might have to look into it more. This is a great forum as I'm trying to be cruelty free.

Edit: L'oreal acquired Urban Decay in 2013, a quick google search can confirm this, and PETA has since stopped supporting the brand.
PETA still supports now them as PETA supports all companies that do not test/sell in China even if the parent company tests. But they also support Smashbox and Stila who recently revealed they test by law (which is what PETA attacked UD for doing initially). I don't trust PETA's stance on companion animals and anti- no-kill stance, but that had nothing to do with their list so I had no issues with it until now- finding out they are selective in who they support regardless of policy.

I also don't trust Paula's Choice who has numerous wrong brands on their list as well. I e-mailed them with links to proof, and they never responded.

I think the safest route is to keep an eye on My Beauty Bunny as they and two others broke the Stila news, and to always always google the company name plus the words "no longer cruelty free" or "tests on animals" or "sold in China" as it will pull those newer updated results. Trying "not tested" can pull info as old as 8 years and incorrect bloggers re-posting old or incorrect info.

When in doubt, contact the company with a list of questions. Some companies don't register with Leaping Bunny and don't want to pay the PETA fees to be listed by them and I can respect that.

As much as I dislike PETA, I contacted both them and Paula's choice with proof links and told/asked them why testing brands were on their lists. PETA was quick to shun UD in literally minutes from their change, but other brands like Smashbox and Stila remain untouched. I got zero response from either, but PETA spammed me nonstop after that and I had to block the domain.

Back