Wedding Makeup vs. Daily Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So...I'm engaged (yay!) and I've been searching the web for everything wedding-related.  I don't really want to pay someone to do my makeup mostly because I know what works on my skin and what doesn't, but everyone I've talked to says for pictures you want to go more heavy - including foundation.  So I'm not sure what to do.  I'm more of a natural girl (mineral powder minimum coverage makeup) with an oily T-zone and dry cheeks (aka combo skin).  I have some time, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be super grateful!

Congratulations on the engagement! I knew a wedding makeup artist who always told her brides to go all out for their wedding and never for the "natural" look. But yes, for pictures I would say the more coverage, the better. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Practice, practice, practice.

Most women go with either a smokey brown eye or a smokey gray eye for their wedding day. You want to keep the look romantic but it does need to be more bold because your makeup will look washed out in photos if you don't. You'll want to add lashes for your wedding day to help make your eyes pop.

You don't need a darker foundation because if you apply a darker foundation and don't blend it down you'll see a stark contrast between your face, neck and shoulders which will look terrible. Again, practice, practice, practice and have someone take photos of your practice makeup with the flash on both indoors and outside to see what the makeup looks like.

I did my own makeup for my wedding. I don't have a lot of imperfections on my fair skin, so I just used Tarte's tinted moisturizer instead of foundation since I don't wear foundation normally. My pictures look fine without heavy foundation. I didn't go heavy on blush which some people might need to do to make it show in pictures. I blush easily in front of crowds, so I looked like I smacked some blush heavily on my cheeks.

I went heavy on the eye makeup. I did a smokey eye. Though I squint a lot when I smile, so the pictures don't really show it. 

Products I used:

Tarte's tinted moisturizer

Bareminerals concealer

blush (don't remember who)

Tarte Park avenue princess for countour

highlighter (don't remember who)

Urban Decay Setting Spray

Nyx liquid eyeliner

Too Faced Shadow Insurance

Urban Decay Naked palette

Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara

Milani jumbo eyeshadow pencil

Milani lipstick

Milani eyebrows kit

You have got to be the most beautiful woman during that day. I suggest you work with the other facets of the body, as well. Focus on the body and the dress, too. You can add accessories if it that fits you but do not overdo it. 

New question, kinda.  Does anyone have a lipstick brand recommendation?  Something that will stay on and look good in pics?  Thank you!

Quote: Originally Posted by Allison Ryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  New question, kinda.  Does anyone have a lipstick brand recommendation?  Something that will stay on and look good in pics?  Thank you!
That will always depend on the event, and the dress you are wearing. It can also depend on your skin color. This year is the time for “barely there†make-ups. I suggest you go with any brand as long as it is comfortable and it does not irritate you. NYX products are pretty good choices. 

I'm doing the same thing when I get married in May. Weddings are EXPENSIVE so I'm trying to save wherever I can. I'm a big fan of the Mirabella lip sheers. I forgot I had it on before jumping in the shower and it was still there when I got out.

I went to Ulta this weekend and the make-up ladies there said matte makeup is best for black and white photos.  Shine and glitter will overexpose them, so now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do!

So...I'm engaged (yay!) and I've been searching the web for everything wedding-related.  I don't really want to pay someone to do my makeup mostly because I know what works on my skin and what doesn't, but everyone I've talked to says for pictures you want to go more heavy - including foundation.  So I'm not sure what to do.  I'm more of a natural girl (mineral powder minimum coverage makeup) with an oily T-zone and dry cheeks (aka combo skin).  I have some time, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be super grateful!
Congratulations on your engagement! I've done makeup for two of my friends' weddings. In my opinion, blush colors and nude colors work best on a bride. For example, I think that Urban Decay naked 3 palette is the ultimate bridal palette, because of all the rose toned hues. Also in my opinion, I don't think you should so your own makeup for your wedding. It is your day to be pampered and relax while someone else applies your makeup. You don't have to pay someone much, or even at all. You may be able to get someone to do your makeup for free. Think of joining model mayhem and posting a casting notice for a makeup artist who is willing to work for TFP, or Trade for Pics. I have gotten many fabulous head shots this way. You can also find a photographer who is interested in building his wedding portfolio. There are many talented artists on model mayhem and some of the just want more experience and chance to build their work.

Thanks!  I've never heard of Model Mayhem...do you have a link?  I've been toying with the idea of red lips.  I'm Asian so I've been thinking of going semi-geisha makeup-wise.  What do you think? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And thank you for the info!

Go to http://www.modelmayhem.com/  Register. You may have to add a few of your own pictures (they don't have to be professional) in order to be verified.

At the top you'll see tabs, go to Casting/Travel  and you'll see Casting Notice. Click on that and fill out the required information. It will ask you what you are looking for in the scroll down menu and choose Makeup Artist. Then you'll fill out a description of your casting - Wedding, date, time, etc. You can also choose to ask for a photographer. I would suggest filling out a detailed description and when it asks you to choose TF or paid, choose TF. Or you may choose to pay a little, say $50. That is about half what a beginning artist would charge.

Try that and let us know how it goes!

Quote: Originally Posted by Allison Ryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thanks!  I've never heard of Model Mayhem...do you have a link?  I've been toying with the idea of red lips.  I'm Asian so I've been thinking of going semi-geisha makeup-wise.  What do you think? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And thank you for the info!

I mentioned in another thread that I am not a huge fan of red lips for a wedding. I think the color is too "hard" and I like brides to looks soft and pretty rather than striking. I prefer nude or blush tones for a wedding.

However, I might have a different opinion with you since you're Asian. If you have black hair, red lips might suit you for your wedding. I would take into account your "colors" such as your decorations and flowers and see if red lips go with them. If anything, I would say go with a cool-toned red that leans toward berry red rather than a warm-toned red that leans orange. If you post a picture of yourself I would be happy to find a red that I think would suit you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  But if you don't want to you can always pm me.

All in all, remember that it's your wedding and that you can wear red lips if you want to!

Back