New Counter Manager at Smashbox!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey ladies!

I just accepted an offer from Nordstrom to be the counter manager for Smashbox Cosmetics. I aced the interviews and the offer was phenomenal compared to what I've been making at Sephora. It's a one man counter, however the store I am at is one of the trial stores for the new innovation concept and it's a lot more open selling between brands. So according to my new account exec, my counter is doing quite well compared to the rest of the region. From the time I start, I will have two weeks to train and then begin booking appointments for one of the biggest events in the Nordstrom beauty department.

I'm just looking for the advice of other counter managers, former and current, to help me with the transition. 

Thank so much!

First and foremost, it is important to focus primarily on your brand. Set practical sales goals for the day, so you can make them. You will get a specific quota. It will vary depending on the day. It's higher when there is some sort of event like a GWP.

Study your brand and the products, including the latest products and/or the products your cosmetic manager (usually the AM of the store) will want you to push/market the most. When you sell, you have to know everything about the product. It truly does help when you explain the product to the customer and the sales you will get will show, as a result of this. (For instance; when I worked for Estee Lauder I was hired months before they launched Perfectionist CP+R. I studied the product, so I could explain it to the customer. If a customer gets knowledge of the product, they will give you a sale.)

When you study the products, not only will you have knowledge to garner more sales and reach your goals, but you can win contests too. Especially when it comes time for the class. You will get gratis (free Smashbox cosmetics) however; you can get other things free when the teacher/instructor of the class asks questions, etc. Plus, every store is different, as is every brand, but there is always some sort of contest going on.

When you go to stroll (walk around the store and sometimes the mall, if your AM allows it), take sample cards with you. Try to get at least 1-2 back to the chair a day. Never spray perfume on anyone.

Offer samples to people who inquire about them. They are potential sales you will have in the future. Also, offer samples to those customers that happen to visit frequently.

If another counter needs help, help them. Although you will not make as high of a percentage in commissions as you would with your brand, there are other brands that are busier than others. Clinique and MAC tend to be the most busy in comparison to most.

Keep track of your goals. Set a goal for the day. Then, the next day in the morning before opening the store, divide that goal by the actual sales and see if you made it.

Lastly, if you are having a bad day outside of work, never let others know in the workplace. The key is to remain focused and outgoing, while keeping your composure. Remember, kindness kills negative energy.

Good Luck!

Back