Laurenv78

Sample Society June 2014

OK, you know me. I ask what I am curious about..

WHY are they selling products from over a year ago, and why are y;all buying them? This is makeup, not shoes or jewelry.

It has a shelf life.

An expiration date. And you have NO IDEA how it's been stored- whether it gets really hot or is climate controlled at all times.

Please, tell me why Sample Society is doing this. It doesn't seem responsible or " high end" like they want to be seen, IMO.

I was thinking of joining. Are the boxes going up to $25 a month???

I have another question. They used to send SOME full sized products. Do they only send samples in the current ( not the old) subscription?

I was looking over their FAQ and it seems that they are offering less with membership than they used to.. no magazine, not that I loved it but it was a freebie perk, and now they state " 5 samples".. I remember getting a few full sized lip colors, eyeliners ( prob. black, eww), and nail polishes that were full sized.. It's been a long long time since I bought a box though.

Probably older than the boxes they are now unloading, for sure. :)

Oh, and is the box now red? I just saw a photo on their FAQ, and the box is not the black and silver, but red and says :ALLURE on the top. ( I know the association, of course).

I found this, at http://www.beautybar.com/SampleSociety/JoinNow.qs:

Our editors don't just obsess over beauty products — they uncover the groundbreaking, game-changing formulas making waves throughout the beauty sphere, from hair and makeup to skin care and fragrance.

They do all the legwork so that you can do the fun part: open a glossy red box filled with five hand-picked, editor-tested products every month. Bonus: Allure editor-penned mini-magazine boasting in-depth reviews of each sample.

Here's what's included:
  • Five deluxe-size beauty samples—so you can use each one more than once
  • Curated mix of skin, hair, and makeup products, as well as fragrance
  • Allure mini-mag, packed with in-depth beauty sample product reviews written by Allure editors
  • $10 BeautyBar.com gift card to redeem on any $50 Beauty Bar purchase

Finding your new favorite products couldn't be easier. Subscribe now for a monthly dose of beauty.

$15/mo. + tax paid monthly - cancel anytime

So....price stays the same, now a $10 discount instead of a $15 discount on products.  But they don't specify that you have to use it on brands you sampled. 

And now they're saying it's a 'curated mix', I don't know if they claimed that before.

I don't know, I think I'm going to cancel.  I'm kind of overwhelmed with samples after getting the mystery boxes, I might go back to just getting Birchbox for awhile and see how things shake out in a few months.

• Like 1

I only received two months of SS before canceling this month--I received the April and May boxes. The April box included two full-sized products that I loved: a Butter London brown eyeliner (I use this every day!) and the Tatcha blotting papers. The May box was all skincare samples and 1 haircare sample and I found it disappointing, so I canceled.

I'm excited to get the pack of 5 boxes though!

• Like 1

My 5 box set came!!! Overall I'm really happy. A got a suki face scrub which is completely dried up (like rock hard....no way I can use this) and the Demeter perfume is stinky (no offense if you like it, it's just not for me) but everything else I'm pretty happy with and only got dupes of 1 item. I want to order another set now!!

My 5 box set came!!! Overall I'm really happy. A got a suki face scrub which is completely dried up (like rock hard....no way I can use this) and the Demeter perfume is stinky (no offense if you like it, it's just not for me) but everything else I'm pretty happy with and only got dupes of 1 item. I want to order another set now!!

I got that dried up Suki face scrub too. I moistened it with water and used it as a hand scrub. Smells nice!

My 5 box set (set A) came and I love it! My favorites are the 2 Butter London Horsepowers, 1 Butter London nail polish, and a Stila mini lipstick in "Vivienne"--a perfect color for me. 

I have to say the most fun was just opening it. It felt like Christmas!

• Like 1

My 5 box set (set A) came and I love it! My favorites are the 2 Butter London Horsepowers, 1 Butter London nail polish, and a Stila mini lipstick in "Vivienne"--a perfect color for me. 

I have to say the most fun was just opening it. It felt like Christmas!

Which boxes did you get in your set A? :D 

Which boxes did you get in your set A?  

I got: September Kit A 1 Sample Society January Kit B 1 Sample Society January Kit D 1 Sample Society February Kit D 1 Sample Society May Kit D 1

So much fun to play with all of it!

• Like 1

I got: September Kit A 1 Sample Society January Kit B 1 Sample Society January Kit D 1 Sample Society February Kit D 1 Sample Society May Kit D 1

So much fun to play with all of it!

Oh awesome! :D I got Set A too, but I ordered this week and so I'm only getting three of the boxes you received. 

• Like 1

My Kit B 5 boxes came yesterday. Like several people my favorite items are the Butter products. I got two butter polishes at $15 each and the Butter cuticle oil at $19 plus everything else. I'm super happy with this value.

For people worried about expiration dates.

Most products do say to start counting after you open the product.

Ex. 12 months after opening, etc. it will show that jar symbol.

Unless it lists an actual date the product can't be used past you should be safe. Use these samples first in your sample collection thou.

• Like 1

The "new" box is what I'm staying subscribed for, I'm intrigued with the changes and want to give them a chance before I make my decision.  That being said, I'll give them a month or two and see what the fuss is all about and make a decision after that... overall Sample Society has been great (this month's box is an exception) HOWEVER maybe they were getting rid of the junk before starting up a new box!!  (I'm hoping so anyway.)  

I've order two set of the 5 for $25 sets and I they are indeed wonderful and make me feel like it's my birthday! 

• Like 1

I caved and bought A & C.  The email shows I am getting 4 boxes with 3 variations of the April box.  Not sure I really wanted 4 eyeliners and blotting papers.  Just luck of the draw.

I caved and bought A & C.  The email shows I am getting 4 boxes with 3 variations of the April box.  Not sure I really wanted 4 eyeliners and blotting papers.  Just luck of the draw.

I want 4 eyeliners! Jealous. Are those coming from A or C?

Update...I just checked my order as well (B&C) and I'm getting 4 as well. I guess I just didn't think they'd all be from this year? I'd be super excited if they were though.

It has some crazy lip gloss in it.  I think its called Exude or something and it looks like a tube of lipstick with a clear rubberish top but its lipgloss and it fills up the clear part and wow... oof, too hard to explain.  Its cool!

I got that too, it is cool.  I can't decide if I like the gloss or not, it's got a little bit of milkiness to it and tastes like toothpaste.  

Realized I was looking at April 2014 and the boxes are probably for April 2013.  It will be fun to go through the boxes when they come.

They've rebranded as Allure Sample Society and promised every a Laura Mercier highlighter in July. I've re subscribed. I will give them another shot and see how it goes.