Do you pay attention to expiry dates on make-up?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 The only thing I am strict about is mascara. Unless something changes texture or gets funky I keep it.

Honestly, no. I usually throw out items that have changed colors, textures, or have dried out.,

I care the most about mascara and liquid foundation/cream type things. I care the least about nail polish (until it starts getting gloopy and gross) and eye shadow.

I do not, neither. But as soon as I get rashes or irritation, I'll toss them out right away.

definitely not with powders and as to my foundations I try to use them up quickly but as long as I dont break out and the smell is ok I continue using it 

Nope.  Unless they start to change scent/texture/smell, I consider them fine.  My bb cream isn't around long enough to go bad or expire, though (I open one tube at a time, use it until it's gone, and don't even keep a backup on hand until I'm almost out.  And the risk of contamination is low with this stuff since it's in a pump dispenser), and I don't wear mascara or liquid liner.

(I also completely disregarded this past Friday's boil-drinking-water-due-to-e.coli citywide alert.  I figured that it had started three days earlier, and I had been drinking the water that whole time to no ill effect, so I would be fine.  And the alert was lifted less than twenty-four hours later, and, yup, I'm fine.)

I do for cream products and mascara. Powders I only toss if they look weird or there's an expiration date on the SPF in it. 

I probably should. But I don't. I go through so much mascara and foundation that it doesn't even have time to go bad! The stuff I mainly keep is eye shadows.

I only pay attention to smell and texture with the exception of SPF products. There isn't much purpose in using sun protection if they are no longer effective.

I can't even imagine throwing out an eyeshadow that I'd owned for less than ten years, unless it was crap to start with. As someone who collects makeup as well as wears it, I tend to keep products after they've gone bad but I keep them separate from the stuff that I know is good to wear. I don't wear foundation and heck, I don't have enough self-preservation to change up my mascaras. I buy a new one every three months, but I keep using the old ones unless they dry out...

I have some lipsticks that have definitely turned, without a doubt, but I keep them ... I'm a collector, not a hoarder, I swear.

Only for mascara, I don't want an eye infection! Also if you start getting red marks or spots, might be time to start looking at your foundation/concealer/powder expiry dates...

Daisy xxx

If it smells weird typically but I'll throw out mascara sooner than later. I hate when the texture gets all clumpy.

Back