Brow pencil: best ones, and what color should I go with?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals!

I recently got my brows waxed after a while of just leaving them.  Wow, what a difference it made! I feel like my face is more framed and there's more room for eye shadows.  Having smaller eyes like i do, more space for shadows is awesome and I've been having a lot of fun creating new looks.  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

However, I was skyping with some of my friends from college last night, and I realized how sparse my brows looked.  They are naturally thinner near the 'tail' end.  So, today I've been browsing ulta.com for some great brow products.  I have found positive reviews with many products of all price ranges, but I wouldn't be opposed to investing in a product or two that will really help me define my brows and keep them in place.  They tend to love to go astray.  So your suggestions would be awesome!

I'm also having a majorly hard time picking a color.  My hair is between blonde and brown, with redish-brownish-blondeish all thrown together.  It's natural and I've never dyed it. (I'll attach a picture or two below.)  Most of my veins in my wrist appear green, so I have warm undertones with freckles, which makes sense because pink-based foundations look terrible on me. 

Sorry for a ramble, here's a funny picture of me to help you get an idea:

10247437_10203768675276389_2118458103687954918_n.jpg

I'm on the right. This is pre-haircut and pre-brow wax!

1545594_10202932625615670_1401328901_n.jpg

I can't speak highly enough of the Dior. Diorshow Universal Brow Styler pencil. It's a universal color which works great on just about everyone. That said, you and I have extremely similar brow colors and it works excellent on me. I've literally had coworkers ask me how I got my brows to grow in so full, that's how natural it looks. Little do they know I have brows so sparse there are literally holes in some spots of them. It has a very fine tip to it so it makes for an extremely natural look.

I just fill mine in with brown eye shadow- like in my picture. I have Glo Minerals powder for brows, it comes with a light brown and a dark. I used the light one when my hair was blonde and the dark one now. I would try with a light brown and just see how you like it. You don't want to go too dark otherwise it won't look natural. I also like powder over pencils.

I've heard and seen lots of rave reviews for Benefit's Gimme Brow, which fills in and gives some hold at the same time. I've never used it, though. I liked the Benefit Brow Zing kit (powder, wax, and angled brush) except they didn't have a good shade for my nearly-but-not-quite black brows. And my two favorite makeup girls (Lisa Eldridge & Karima from Shameless Fripperies) are devoted to the SUQQU brow pen, but that is not easy to order AND it's pricey.

That wasn't very helpful, was it. Sorry! Good luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

I got the bh cosmetics brow trio a few months ago, and i loooove it! it has two different color powders and a wax for shaping and filling in. you could probably get away with the "light" trio for your lighter complexion and hair color. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Honestly, I've had good luck with super cheap eyebrow pencils. Covergirl has some that are like $2-3 for 2 pencils, and come in really good red and blonde shades, so you could test out a few to figure out what works best. (They are called eyeliners and eyebrow pencils, but they are definitely way too stiff to be used as eyeliner.) I think they work great, personally. But I prefer pencils to powders/gels/waxes, etc. Just faster and look more natural, to me. And then just any clear mascara or eyebrow gel in that sort of tube to hold them in place.

While I do use the Anastasia Brow Wiz pencil, my true love is the Liole Auto Eyebrow pencil, which is my go-to for quick brow fill-ins and a softer look.

When ordering the Lioele Auto Eyebrow, the colors may look really dark, but they're actually very natural looking in person, even with lighter hair colors. I ordered mine from www.prettyandcute.com. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It cosmetics makes a universal brow pencil as well that has great reviews. The color varies by how hard you apply it...lighter touch = lighter color. If you don't want to go with a pencil, laura geller makes a brow marker that you can literally draw brows on with a feather like application so it doesn't look like one big line. Smashbox makes a nice brow product with color stick on one side and a gel to keep it in place. Currently, I'm using Tarte's new Amazonian clay brow product. It's a little wand with color. I brush the color thru and then I take the tip an draw in any sparse areas. It's lasts all day and doesn't flake. There's a lot to chose from so first pick what type of application you want and then go from there. Good luck!

i love the anastasia brow wiz. I've been using it for a long time. it's super easy to use and fills in the brows great. it has a brush as well so you can brush through your brows to make them more soft. i'm not sure what colour you would use, but they do have a good range of colours in my opinion.

hope this helped! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My ultimate favorite brow product is the MUFE Aqua Brow Gel. I bought the kit with a spooly and brush and a travel case. It will take a little getting used to, but it looks fantastic. I can't say enough good things about it. Though it does run a little higher in price, it's well worth it because I've had mine for over a year now and I use it frequently. 

I just recently bought the Dior Universal Brow Pencil and it is also really nice, since I just bought it I'm still figuring out how much I like it compared to other products but so far so good. 

One brow product I hated was Benefit's Brow Zings. The wax was useless to me and the powder was way too warm and it just looked weird. 

Hoped this helped!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really like Hourglass's Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil in Soft Brunette. I got mine from Sephora after seeing a girl on YouTube use it. 

You have brown eye brows or black?

If black go for dark brown + black (mix both)

If brown (white + brown) mix both

I've only recently started playing around with filling in the outer part of my brows and it looks like I have a similar hair color as you.  Like you, mine are sparse on the ends and I've realized when I was trying to "match" my brow color, it looked rather harsh.  Maybe I wasn't used to it, but I prefer colors that are described as either light or medium.  Surprisingly, the Ofra Universal Pencil that was in a recent Ipsy bag seems to be a great match for me.  What I've done is start using light brush strokes starting where things get sparse, then set everything with Great Lash mascara in clear.  It does what brow setting gels do, but has always worked for me for a cheaper price.

You want to go with a color that best matches your hair. For blondes, it's usually a shade or two darker depending on the tone of skin. For brunettes, it's usually a shade lighter or relatively close to the hair color.

If you're looking for something cheap, the Elf Brow Kit is wonderful for $3. You'll need an angled brush though, and Elf sells a pretty good one.

High end - Anastasia Beverly Hills brow wiz and dip brow pomade are AMAZING. Worth the price & I know I couldn't do my makeup without them.

Hi guys and gals!

I recently got my brows waxed after a while of just leaving them.  Wow, what a difference it made! I feel like my face is more framed and there's more room for eye shadows.  Having smaller eyes like i do, more space for shadows is awesome and I've been having a lot of fun creating new looks.  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

However, I was skyping with some of my friends from college last night, and I realized how sparse my brows looked.  They are naturally thinner near the 'tail' end.  So, today I've been browsing ulta.com for some great brow products.  I have found positive reviews with many products of all price ranges, but I wouldn't be opposed to investing in a product or two that will really help me define my brows and keep them in place.  They tend to love to go astray.  So your suggestions would be awesome!

I'm also having a majorly hard time picking a color.  My hair is between blonde and brown, with redish-brownish-blondeish all thrown together.  It's natural and I've never dyed it. (I'll attach a picture or two below.)  Most of my veins in my wrist appear green, so I have warm undertones with freckles, which makes sense because pink-based foundations look terrible on me. 
I have two eye-brow pencils I would recommend for you, although they are from luxury brands, I have never seen a brow pencil that works great from the drug store. A brow pencil is very good for beginners too, as you can put light pressure on it and you will not go overboard on you. I also recommended a brow gel, this is would be great for your brows if you need light-medium coverage. Also, all of these you can find from Sephora, that means if you want to try and see other shades on you, they can fill them into your brows. While you are there, I would talk to the makeup artist and see what colors she would recommend for you, I would make sure you get two shades. Ask her to fill in one eye-brow in one shade, and another in the other shade. If you do this, you can see which one you like better, and you can watch the makeup-artist and see how she fills in your brows. Ask for tips on how to do it, or look up tutorials on Youtube. Here are the products I would recommend: 

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in the shade Caramel or Auburn. 

This pencil is very good if you have good brows like yourself but need a little filling in. You can apply light pressure of a lighter shade, and harder of a darker shade. If your brows are looking a little wild in color or the direction they are in, use the spoolie, this will distribute the color more evenly, and tame your brows in place. 

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo in Caramel (These are rather hard to figure out the shade, but you can use both of the powders in the duo and create your own perfect color).

This is great if you need a natural coverage, and just all around fantastic for a beginner. You can mix the two shades to make your eyebrows be that perfect shade. This does not come with a brush/spoolie, so I would recommend you find both.

Benefit Gimme Brow in Light/Medium, or any other tinted brow gel with fibers. 

These are great for just light-medium coverage. The Benefit one might not suit you well though in color, so I would test it out in store. If it does not, try to find a tinted brow gel with fibers, it can really make a difference for your brows. Using this this of product is the most fastest and easy way to make your brows perfect if you need light-medium coverage. You also don't have to set these with a clear gel, as they already are part-gel!

While you are shopping online don't before afraid to do your research! Also, if you are in store, don't be afraid to test it out! Your brows look so lovely after your brow waxing, just be sure not to over wax or pluck. Set your brows with a clear brow gel if you need to do so. 

Good luck!!  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also recommend Brow Wiz. I think that automatic (twist-up) pencils give a much better result unless you're constantly sharpening your pencils. It comes in a bunch of colors so I'm sure you can find one to match. I also love that it has a spoolie on the other end to soften the look and get your brows going the right direction after you're done. It's super easy to use. 

I've also tried Tarte's EmphasEYES brow pencil and the IT cosmetics version, along with Clinique's Instant Lift for Brows, but I prefer Anastasia's for texture and color options. Now I want to try the Dior version!

Anastasia Brow Wiz is my holy grail!

I would think maybe Auburn would be a good color for you, I could be wrong though

Back