Luxx22

Beauteque Beauty Bag: New Korean Cosmetics Subscription *May Contain Spoilers*

Well, just seeing a picture of the items didn't thrill me, but watching that girl's YouTube unbagging made me more excited about everything.  What a cute girl -- her enthusiasm is contagious, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Don't think I'll get my bag 'til next week, though, as I only got the shipping notice a few minutes ago.

• Like 1

Well, just seeing a picture of the items didn't thrill me, but watching that girl's YouTube unbagging made me more excited about everything.  What a cute girl -- her enthusiasm is contagious, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Don't think I'll get my bag 'til next week, though, as I only got the shipping notice a few minutes ago.

I agree, she's cute as can be, and made me smile about the products. :)

Saw an info card for the box. Their prices are insane. Some of the items they claim are $12-15 sell for $2.50-6 on testerkorea. This bag isn't even near the $75 value they claim it is. 

At the prices Memebox is selling their new boxes for, Beauteque is looking better. they both do the price inflation thing but I feel like Memebox is worse.

I calculated a value of $50 for the BB bag this month. Might not be Uber worth it for International but it's not terrible.

• Like 2

At the prices Memebox is selling their new boxes for, Beauteque is looking better. they both do the price inflation thing but I feel like Memebox is worse.

I calculated a value of $50 for the BB bag this month. Might not be Uber worth it for International but it's not terrible.

I calculated about the same value, but I also look at it like this- I get the values of the products from websites all over the internet. If you were to buy each of these items from the same place, the value would probably increase. Not to mention the much higher shipping costs of buying from Korean sites. 

The draw of Beauteque is that you do get a value, and the shipping is STILL less expensive than if you were to buy from Korean sites. It may not always be worth it for every person, but I think regardless, you're still getting a good value and the ability to try a variety of new products. 

• Like 3

I calculated about the same value, but I also look at it like this- I get the values of the products from websites all over the internet. If you were to buy each of these items from the same place, the value would probably increase. Not to mention the much higher shipping costs of buying from Korean sites. 

The draw of Beauteque is that you do get a value, and the shipping is STILL less expensive than if you were to buy from Korean sites. It may not always be worth it for every person, but I think regardless, you're still getting a good value and the ability to try a variety of new products. 

Agreeing with this. And it is that surprise factor of getting a bag of stuff someone picked for us. 

Well, we did get some memeboxes with $50 or less before (RRP) and those were meh. :/

• Like 4

Value is such a hard thing to really calculate, because you can't look at the cost of a product alone.You have to factor in that some of these products aren't readily accessible to us, and if they are, there are typically large shipping fees and long wait times attached.

Plus if I fall in love w/ a $10 product that I never heard of before or can't find anywhere else to buy it, then that product is WORTH a whole lot more to me.

(This has happened several time with some of my memeboxes)

Also we are paying for the discovery factor. The chance to try multiple things and not feel guilty if there are a few we don't love. As opposed to buying them individually and then kicking ourselves for buying them afterwards! So that increases the value for me as well.

Btw, I totally agree w/ @@MissJexie and @@veritazy as well. :)

Edited by LisaLeah
  • Like 4

Beauteque is having a free shipping day (Code: FREE SHIPPING) if anyone is interested! Some leftover bags are worth grabbing imho. And those MBD masks perhaps. :)

• Like 4

Beauteque is having a free shipping day (Code: FREE SHIPPING) if anyone is interested! Some leftover bags are worth grabbing imho. And those MBD masks perhaps. :)

Yes!  I'm buying a box of the MBD Bulgarian Rose masks (they are on sale!) and the Look Back BB bag. 

As to the value factor:  I'm with @@LisaLeah, @MissJexie and @veritazy as well.  I like having bags curated and sent to me, I like discovering new things that I wouldn't necessarily know about or order for myself, and a good $10 item that i LOVE will be of more value to me than an expensive item that I won't use or that doesn't work for me (that effing Mizon foot cream OMG!  Still loving that!).  Of course I would love to be getting $150 value bags for $30, but let's be realistic.  Beauteque's bags have so far exceeded the value I paid for them by a fair amount. (I am not saying Beauteque is perfect and there have been absolutely legitimate issues with CS, with product expirations, etc. and I don't need to rehash that all here.)

Edited by moosie
  • Like 4

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying they have to be $150 bags or crazy high value, I just want some honesty in the value and pricing. I have a problem with them over inflating prices to make people believe that they are getting an amazing deal. I'm not talking the difference of a few dollars either, it's products that sell everywhere for $2-3 that they claim is a $15 product. It's fine if the bag has a $40-50 value, but advertise it that way. Part of the purpose of these bags is to get people to try products then to purchase them at your store. By setting prices that are so high, it doesn't encourage people to purchase from the store but to go elsewhere.

• Like 1

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying they have to be $150 bags or crazy high value, I just want some honesty in the value and pricing. I have a problem with them over inflating prices to make people believe that they are getting an amazing deal. I'm not talking the difference of a few dollars either, it's products that sell everywhere for $2-3 that they claim is a $15 product. It's fine if the bag has a $40-50 value, but advertise it that way. Part of the purpose of these bags is to get people to try products then to purchase them at your store. By setting prices that are so high, it doesn't encourage people to purchase from the store but to go elsewhere.

Ah, OK, gotcha.  I get that, and it was always laughable to me when Meme did it (like, tripling or quadrupling the price of some products, lol).  I think someone explained once that with these bags/boxes (any of them, Ipsy or BB or anyone) they may have to claim suggested retail price of the item, not necessarily what prices can be found through deal hunting or sales or what have you.  I believe that Meme just made prices up half the time, heh, because Meme is shady AF and on a lot of those products, how would any of us know any better?

I know that when I used to sub to Birch Box, I'd rarely buy stuff from their shop unless I had points or couldn't find it elsewhere, because it was usually easy to find stuff cheaper elsewhere. 

I do get what you're saying, though. 

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, which product(s) are you referring to?

I'm not saying they haven't done what you're saying, but they usually put retail values for the products, IE: manufacturers set prices. 

Honestly, If it upsets you, you should absolutely e-mail them and let them know your thoughts. They're very receptive to feedback!

• Like 1

I have emailed them in the past and it went unanswered. This thread is actually getting a bit tiring. I feel like anyone who posts a real concern gets shot down. I honestly never understood the "beauteque can do no wrong" mentality that goes on here - until I read you last unboxing where you said that you work with the company and the Facebook post that just went up where you said they are releasing a bag with your name on it. I guess that explains why you heavily defend any wrong doings. I know I'm not the first to complain about it. It would just be nice to have a place to discuss things that wasn't so biased. Best of luck with your collab.

• Like 1

This thread is actually getting a bit tiring. I feel like anyone who posts a real concern gets shot down.

Sorry that you felt that way, hun... I do think they posted the retail prices from the Korean company site. They definitely would not quote prices we get from TTK/ gmarket/ Lottemall because those are heavily discounted and would pull down the overall value. Also, I think Beauteque bought the stuffs and stock them, so that must have taken some shipping on their side as well. 

Not defending Beauteque or anything here, but I do think I rather get a full-sized $8 toner than a $8 worth of BB cream sample (samples are generally free PR stuff provided by manufacturers). Personal preference thing here. I am glad i subscribed to all the wonderful boxes/bags all year though. :) Got to try all the small things I never would afford to buy myself! :D 

• Like 5

I have emailed them in the past and it went unanswered. This thread is actually getting a bit tiring. I feel like anyone who posts a real concern gets shot down. I honestly never understood the "beauteque can do no wrong" mentality that goes on here - until I read you last unboxing where you said that you work with the company and the Facebook post that just went up where you said they are releasing a bag with your name on it. I guess that explains why you heavily defend any wrong doings. I know I'm not the first to complain about it. It would just be nice to have a place to discuss things that wasn't so biased. Best of luck with your collab.

I am just one person, first of all. I don't decide the tone for everyone in this thread. Everyone has a right to their opinions here, just as I have a right to ask for examples of what you're talking about. I was just interested to see which products you were referring to, I wasn't calling you out in any way.

If you read my blog at all, or know me as a person in the slightest, you would know that I would never throw confetti and get excited over a company that I don't genuinely believe in. I've been working with Memebox for a very long time, and anyone can tell you I've had some NASTY reviews on their boxes, regardless of whether or not it was sent to me, or whether or not I work with them. I wouldn't sacrifice the integrity of my entire blog for k beauty products.

It's personally insulting to me that you would allude to the idea that I praise Beauteque SOLELY because I have worked with them on blog stuff. 

I have also mentioned in the past before this thread got bigger and more active, that they needed to put more accurate pricing on their info cards, and they have, honestly. It may not be the TesterKorea discounted prices, but I don't expect companies to list discounted prices on info cards.

In my most Recent Beauteque review of the Feb BB Bag, I also had no problem saying that the value was actually less than what was cited by the company, overall.

All I was saying, and what other people were saying, is that Beauteque puts retail/manufacturer prices on their cards. They're not going to quote the discounted prices from the discount websites we buy from. 

And then I simply suggested that you give your feedback to the company, because I know they are always open to hearing feedback and they've put customer feedback into practice many, many times. (Perfect example is when they werent' offering a month-to-month option for the BB Bags, and they changed it due to customer feedback)

If you think my simple participation in this thread is bothersome because I've worked with Beauteque, then I'll step out. I was simply trying to have a discussion with you and help you get your issues solved.

• Like 7

Hi ladies :) Since memebox isn't shipping internationally no more, I'm really considering Beauteque. 
But I have some questions..

Does the bag generally always have a low value?
How long does it normally take for it to arrive?

@Theblondeangel   The bag is anywhere between 50-70 dollars retail value, so it will be lower if you use the prices from testerkorea, BNK, or RRS.  I view it to be more on par with yesstyle (which is very expensive compared to those shops).   I do think they put in more items that are useful and they seem to, so far, stick with standard brands, not so much the obscure ones

As far as shipping goes - as I live in the states, once they ship it out, I do get it within a few days.  However, my biggest gripe so far with the monthly bags is the shipping.   I think they have still have some kinks to work out in that regard.  I haven't received a shipping notice yet.

• Like 3

When I calculate prices for boxes for my reviews, I don't take the highest prices (which is what I think companies do- all companies, not just Beauteque) and I don't take the lowest either because a lot of times it's because its on a shady site like that Qo10 or whatever it is.  I also dont use Ebay unless its specifically sold by the company itself. I try to go with a median price.

I have to agree with @@moosie that Memebox just makes their prices up.  I have never seen such ridiculous pricing as Memebox ascribes to their products both in boxes and in shops.

I'm not the biggest Beauteque fan in the world but I like what they're trying to do.  Yes, they have obvious problems which I would guess are pretty normal in a company as young as it is.  And with an 18 year old running it... /sigh

However, I'm hoping they get it together, improve and become awesome in all ways.   Especially in their graphics design.  Can we just talk about that?  Please, Beauteque, fire your "graphics designer" and get a real person to do it.  Everything is so bad, looks cheap and unprofessional and is quite off-putting.  

• Like 5

hello, I initially wasn't going to comment and as much as I agree with everyone else that most companys put retail prices, I must say that memebox does that as well. I'm not a big fan of memebox after all they've done to their customers; however, there wasn't a time in which I've checked the actual price for memebox was there a difference. of course, I don't check that often but when I do, I do see the same price.

I don't buy from beauteque and I'm not stating it to be true for every item they list, but a quick search in comparing memebox and beauteque prices for holika holika items, beauteque inflated their value slightly:

http://www.beauteque.com/look-back-head-to-toe-usa/

(beauteque price for the shower gel)

http://www.holikaholika.ca/products/body-care/aloe-92-shower-gel/

(actual holika pricing for same item)

http://us.memebox.com/usa-shop/aqua-max-ultra-moisture-cream

(memebox pricing for cream)

http://www.holikaholika.ca/products/cream/aqua-max-moisture-cream/

(holika pricing)

• Like 1

hello, I initially wasn't going to comment and as much as I agree with everyone else that most companys put retail prices, I must say that memebox does that as well. I'm not a big fan of memebox after all they've done to their customers; however, there wasn't a time in which I've checked the actual price for memebox was there a difference. of course, I don't check that often but when I do, I do see the same price.

I don't buy from beauteque and I'm not stating it to be true for every item they list, but a quick search in comparing memebox and beauteque prices for holika holika items, beauteque inflated their value slightly:

(holika pricing)

I agree with this for the most part. There was a time very early on in Meme-land where they were putting absolutely absurd prices that were proven to be incorrect on multiple occasions. I have found that for a while now they have been putting manufacturer values on everything though. 

• Like 1

(holika pricing)

Thank you for this!  That's interesting, the shower gel info.

From what I remember, the worst Meme pricing offenses happened on products that came in earlier boxes but that weren't available for purchase on their site, or if they were the only game in town for specific items (i.e. we couldn't go price compare on BNK or TK or wherever).   Like, there were a lot of products we got that were not available anywhere else, and price checking was difficult, so Meme could really just claim whatever the hell they wanted. As their online shop grew, it seemed like the pricing got more competitive/realistic.

• Like 2

@@moosie, no problem. I know what you and @@MissJexie, is speaking of. I actually was with memebox from mid Feb last year so I joined on the bandwagon pretty early, lol. I was also actually referring to earlier box items as well because I was so new to korean cosmetics and I wanted to see how much items actually cost, I just look at the item that I'm interested and went to the website that was on the item boxes. Most of the time, they did list the same prize. Of course, the price was always ridiculously high!

I think for anyone that want to look at any value and see if companys put retail prices, just go the brand's own websites (even if it's in korean) and you'll be able to find it. :) That's what I do when I need an excuse to buy korean items from other stores, always saying it's a great deal! lol.

Edited by catyz
  • Like 4

I've always ignored what anyone, whether it's beauteque or memebox etc, puts as the value. They could price something as being worth 11 billion dollars for all I notice. I take two things into consideration. Do I feel what I spent was worth what I got? And if I paid for all the items myself, what would I have paid compared to what I paid for the box. This is where Beauteque loses me. I think what I pay for the bag is too close (or the same) to what it would cost me to buy the items myself. And yes, I do use RRS or TK to figure that out because that's where I would be buying from. I don't think the bags are terrible, just not enough value for me especially since I'm not interested in the lifestyle items. But, having said that, I haven't ruled out ever getting one of their bags. I'm still on wait and see mode. Maybe once the meme withdrawal hits I'll be all over them. 

Edited by blinded
  • Like 6

I do feel like Memebox might have heard us all when we expressed our distaste for such price inflation.  I mean, of course they can sell things at whatever price they want.  Whether people buy it or not is entirely up to them.  And I have to admit that before I knew as much as I know now, I *did* pay the ridiculous price.  But not anymore.  I know better.

Same goes for Beauteque and their pricing, too, of course.  They can price it at whatever they want.  Peach and Lily is far, far worse with their mark ups, as well.  Not as bad as Memebox has been but bad.

Obviously retailers can put whatever price they want on the product they have.  Value has always been subjective.  Personally, I want the best price and the fastest shipping so I usually go with Amazon.  I could never bring myself to buy something from Peach and Lily (other than their Seoucialite Box) because they're way too expensive and I can get the same thing from KoreaDepart for half the price.  But companies like Peach and Lily and Beauteque and now Memebox are banking on people wanting things shipping from the USA.  They're guessing people wont go to the trouble to hit "translate" on a website or use something like Avecko.  And for the most part, they're right.

Lucky for us, we have each other to talk to, hash things out, find the best prices, etc etc.  And I know that if I have a question about a company, SOMEONE here has used them and has an opinion.  And that's valuable to me (and it saves me money and in the case of bad experiences-money and heartache :D)

• Like 5