Looking for a quality, natural looking concealer. Have some ideas.....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been going all over the internet looking for a good quality concealer. Here are the things it MUST HAVE:

1) It must be able to last through the heat and humidity of a southern summer day (try saying that 3x fast!)

2) It must look as natural as possible after drying. No "cakeiness". My T-zone is quite oily.

3) It must be able to be used by itself (I'm a guy, so I don't want to mess with powder/foundation, etc.)

4) Non-comedogenic

Like I said, I have an oily, acne prone t-zone, which is primarily what this product will be used for (covering acne/acne scars). I have found the following, which both seem quite nice:

1)MAC Pro Longwear Concealer

2) Make Up Forever Full Coverage Concealer

Sorry for the long post. Are these good choices for acne prone skin? Any other suggesions? Price honestly isn't a factor to an extent (i.e. Nothing over $50). I just want these blemishes covered! It is ruining my self confidence :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with makeup forever over mac. I'm using it cosmetics one and like it. I mainly use for dark circles. Sorry you're dealing with skin issues. The perricone nutritive cleanser (citrus wash made it worse) has helped my husband's skin a lot. Before that, proactive did a good job clearing it up.

I would go with makeup forever over mac. I'm using it cosmetics one and like it. I mainly use for dark circles. Sorry you're dealing with skin issues. The perricone nutritive cleanser (citrus wash made it worse) has helped my husband's skin a lot. Before that, proactive did a good job clearing it up.
Thanks! I have finally began actually caring about my facial routine (it's been around 5 months), so it has gotten substantially better. I still have breakout period from time to time though, so I would like something to keep around if/when that does happen.

Hello all,

I have been going all over the internet looking for a good quality concealer. Here are the things it MUST HAVE:

1) It must be able to last through the heat and humidity of a southern summer day (try saying that 3x fast!)

2) It must look as natural as possible after drying. No "cakeiness". My T-zone is quite oily.

3) It must be able to be used by itself (I'm a guy, so I don't want to mess with powder/foundation, etc.)

4) Non-comedogenic

Like I said, I have an oily, acne prone t-zone, which is primarily what this product will be used for (covering acne/acne scars). I have found the following, which both seem quite nice:

1)MAC Pro Longwear Concealer

2) Make Up Forever Full Coverage Concealer

Sorry for the long post. Are these good choices for acne prone skin? Any other suggesions? Price honestly isn't a factor to an extent (i.e. Nothing over $50). I just want these blemishes covered! It is ruining my self confidence :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks!
FACE atelier Ultra Camouflage Duet concealer.

Perricone also just came out with a no concealer concealer...that might be good since it's skin care based. Go to sephora and ask for samples. That way you can try them out.

Concealer tends to be thicker and is more prone to that cakiness so a foundation that you can build up is your best bet.

I use makeup forever HD foundation (Go to your local sephora to try it out) on the daily and people can't tell unless I tell them I have it on. Make sure you use a primer for oily skin though. 

Concealer tends to be thicker and is more prone to that cakiness so a foundation that you can build up is your best bet.

I use makeup forever HD foundation (Go to your local sephora to try it out) on the daily and people can't tell unless I tell them I have it on. Make sure you use a primer for oily skin though. 
So you are saying to skip the concealer and just keep building the foundation until it adequitely covers the blemish? Am I reading that right?

Depending on your skintone, IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness is great for concealing larger areas. I would use that followed by spot concealer on the really bad spots--Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer is the one I've been considering; I have both MUFE and IT Bye Bye Undereye, but they both read a little heavy/cakey to me.

Good luck!

So you are saying to skip the concealer and just keep building the foundation until it adequitely covers the blemish? Am I reading that right?
Yup. I cant really help much more unless I see your skin but a color corrector will also probably work for those really tough blemishes 

That's incorrect. Foundations are red blockers and concealers are blue blockers. 

The dark circles under your eyes are not red, but blue, no matter what skin tone you have.

It all comes down to colour theory, plain and simple.

Coverage (multiple layers) of a foundation, will only create thickness of the product and not colour correct the area. For example, several layers, or a thick layer of foundation will not colour correct the blueness under the eye area, and your under eye area will look thick and cakey with foundation, and you will end up with two results:

1) The blueness will bleed through all those layers

2) You will have reverse raccoon eyes

Concealers on the other hand are engineered to correct blue undertones, that's why you only apply one layer, as the under eye area (orbital socket) has the thinnest skin on the human body.

Regardless if they are liquid or creme based, concealers are typically not thicker than their textured foundation counterparts. There is a reason for this... So it will blend seamlessly into the edge of a foundation layer.

Based on where this thread is going, I am going to add a couple of product definitions before this misinformation gets way out of control.

Eye brighteners like YSL's Tocuhe Eclat, are not concealers, they are designed with light reflecting pigments in it. Thus most people will have reverse raccoon eyes with this product, as most people are applying the product on wrong and too much of it... The secret to eye brighteners is to apply them only in the inner corners of your eyes! 

Correctors are thicker than concealers and foundations... The reason for this is to colour correct skin blemishes and discolourations like vitiligo, port wine stains, tattoos, severe rosacea, aged bruising, pregnancy masks etc. as these discolourations are not blue or red, so they need a different set of colour correcting pigments. That's why using a concealer will not work with most of the conditions I listed above. 

Based on NC919 original post, (what he's looking for... His needs), logic would suggest to use a colour corrector. Yes he could counteract the blueness, but the product is too thick, and it's too thick for the under eye area anyway. Foundations are red blockers, no matter how many layers he put on, the blue undertones will still go through red blockers. Eye brighteners... He will get reverse raccoon eyes, again, too many layers, and the blue will be green coming through. There is a reason why concealers are still being used today for this purpose since 1938.

Remember, less is more. That means let the product work for you. Not you working hard by layering down multiple layers of product. 

I love concealer pencils for ease of application (no brushes required) and portability. I would recommend the 24/7 concealer pencils by Urban Decay, but be sure to get a good color match because they are pretty opaque (there are lots of color options). Also, I find that drier concealer pencils (like the new Pro Pencil by Anastasia or the double-ended concealer pencils by Shu Uemura or Make Up For Ever) are fantastic to cover up a few spots without feeling like you have a face of makeup on, and are less likely to make your face an oil slick or irritate your skin than liquid concealers used over a larger area.

I think that concealer pencils are generally too dry to use to cover up under eye circles (the Urban Decay one is creamier than most), but it sounds like you're more interested in covering blemishes.

That's incorrect. Foundations are red blockers and concealers are blue blockers. 

The dark circles under your eyes are not red, but blue, no matter what skin tone you have.

It all comes down to colour theory, plain and simple.

Coverage (multiple layers) of a foundation, will only create thickness of the product and not colour correct the area. For example, several layers, or a thick layer of foundation will not colour correct the blueness under the eye area, and your under eye area will look thick and cakey with foundation, and you will end up with two results:

1) The blueness will bleed through all those layers

2) You will have reverse raccoon eyes

Concealers on the other hand are engineered to correct blue undertones, that's why you only apply one layer, as the under eye area (orbital socket) has the thinnest skin on the human body.

Regardless if they are liquid or creme based, concealers are typically not thicker than their textured foundation counterparts. There is a reason for this... So it will blend seamlessly into the edge of a foundation layer.

Based on where this thread is going, I am going to add a couple of product definitions before this misinformation gets way out of control.

Eye brighteners like YSL's Tocuhe Eclat, are not concealers, they are designed with light reflecting pigments in it. Thus most people will have reverse raccoon eyes with this product, as most people are applying the product on wrong and too much of it... The secret to eye brighteners is to apply them only in the inner corners of your eyes! 

Correctors are thicker than concealers and foundations... The reason for this is to colour correct skin blemishes and discolourations like vitiligo, port wine stains, tattoos, severe rosacea, aged bruising, pregnancy masks etc. as these discolourations are not blue or red, so they need a different set of colour correcting pigments. That's why using a concealer will not work with most of the conditions I listed above. 

Based on NC919 original post, (what he's looking for... His needs), logic would suggest to use a colour corrector. Yes he could counteract the blueness, but the product is too thick, and it's too thick for the under eye area anyway. Foundations are red blockers, no matter how many layers he put on, the blue undertones will still go through red blockers. Eye brighteners... He will get reverse raccoon eyes, again, too many layers, and the blue will be green coming through. There is a reason why concealers are still being used today for this purpose since 1938.

Remember, less is more. That means let the product work for you. Not you working hard by layering down multiple layers of product. 
This is very interesting information, and explains why I usually have to use a separate concealer for under my eyes from what I can use on other parts of my face. 

The OP was asking for something to use on blemishes, though, not under his eyes. So based on what you've written here, it sounds like a foundation used to conceal spots or corrector would in fact work better than a concealer for his purposes.

This is very interesting information, and explains why I usually have to use a separate concealer for under my eyes from what I can use on other parts of my face. 

The OP was asking for something to use on blemishes, though, not under his eyes. So based on what you've written here, it sounds like a foundation used to conceal spots or corrector would in fact work better than a concealer for his purposes.
Ah Crap... 

You're RIGHT!!!

...  :wacko: How I missed that, and mistake acne for under eye circles?!?! :blink:   was not becoming of a moderator and I am not going to make excuses... I should know better!

@@Xavier Fortuna I deeply apologize for my post. 

For what it's worth, you are correct in applying a corrector first then a perhaps 1 or 2 light layers of foundation on, plus a powder to set it. Again I apologize for my assumption. 

@@NC919 Xavier's solution is correct!

@@lyncaf Thanks for proof reading and catching my mistake!  :blush:

No, I am not going to delete or edit my post (10). Unless I am over ruled by other Moderators. I don't like to back-peddle (hide), It's a reminder to me that we all make mistakes and are accountable for them.

I have used Clinique line filling concealer for decades.  It covered super nasty acne perfectly in my youth!  It is in a long tube like bottle with a wand applicator.  Perfect for dabbing on pimples!  Very rarely would I have to layer it.  Just dab and lightly spread it on the pimple.  And now I use it to cover broken capillaries, ingrown hair pimples and resultant redness on my chin,  But it wasn't so great under the eyes.  Sorta streaky....

This may sound strange, but a moisturizing concealer such as Clinique is crucial to prevent caking and that dried makeup on pimple look.  The color matched my skin pretty well also.

Today, I just got Laura Geller's and it is wonderful under the eyes!  As for pimple coverage, I need to try it some more and compare it to Clinique.  But I have a feeling from my initial impression that the Clinique is hands down the best pimple cover-upper.

Who says that I can't use one product for pimples and another for my black allergic shiners?  

One more thing...  I know you are a guy, but you may want to top of your concealed pimples with a dab of moisturizing face powder.  Loreal Advanced Radiance is excellent!  In my teen years I used the concealer and powder combo on picture days for 100% perfect pictures even with nasty acne!  So there was no need to pay the photographer for acne touch ups.

Tarte's amazonian clay concealer is really good! It's waterproof and sweatproof so it seriously lasts through anything.

In fact, all of tarte's products with the amazonian clay in it are waterproof and have amazing staying power (yeah, I'm kinda obsessed with Tarte...haha)

Latest posts

Back