Makeup Tips and Tricks you swear by

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you come across any awesome makeup tips or tricks that you absolutely love? I have a couple that I recently came across that although they are probably aren't new, they're new to me.

Tip 1-discovered an awesome new brush:

I bought a set of brushes from hautelook and there was this tiny fan brush in the set that I had no idea what it was or how to use it. Its a mascara fan brush. I looked up a tutorial and found out its for applying mascara instead of using the brush in the mascara tube. I absolutely love it. A lot of times the brush in the mascara tube has too much mascara on it and when you try to apply it, it just makes the lashes stick together and look terrible. I was ready to throw away a tube of barely used mascara because of this problem. Using the tiny fan brush you have much more control over the amount of mascara that is applied. If you are a fan of natural looking lashes and often have to comb out all the clumps and such when you use tube brushes, please give the mascara fan brush a try. The one I have is by ESUM. If I use the mascara fan brush, I rarely need to comb my eyelashes afterward (no clumps or lashes sticking together)

Tip 2-a money saver tip on brushes:

I have recently become a BIG fan of Crown brushes, they're cheap but perform very well. I have to look at the handle to know whether I grabbed the crown blending brush or my MAC 217, they're that similar.

Tip 3-a little thing that makes a big difference

Get a good eyelash curler. I never understood why people used these until I saw some before and after pictures of women who have very straight eyelashes. It makes a big difference. I use mine every day. I have Kevyn Aucoin's eyelash curler (it has a super spongey pad), and I love it, much better than the shu umeure, which tends to put a bit crimp line instead of a smooth curl.

Tip 4-less is more:

Use less foundation. I've heard pros say "use half the foundation you're using now" and I have to agree, natural skin showing through looks natural and healthy. I only put foundation on my nose and chin and blend it out just enough to tone down the redness I have there.

Tip 5-say no to too much blush!

Ok this one is more of a pet peeve, but...Always blend out your blush/bronzer/countourer. I use crown brush dupe for becca's "the one" brush after I apply blush with another brush. If I need to apply a bit more blush, I do, but always go over it again with the bare blending brush. Another excellent one is the Hourglass brush the one they marketed for their special lighting powders..I forget what its called, but like that one a lot too. Ladies, streaks of blush or bronzer looks terrible.

OK, I know these are not revolutionary by any means, and probably most of you make up buffs out there already know this stuff, but I can't help myself, when I discover something that I feel really works well, I just naturally want to share it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So what are your tips that you love, new or old, that you swear by?

Tightlining my upper waterline. Another gamechanger for me. Gives you a full look without the heaviness that eyeliner can cause for me.

Back