Budget Friendly Recomendations?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Beauties!

This year for Christmas I have decided to "adopt" my bestfriend and her little family of 3 beautiful little girls! She has got to be the strongest woman I know, she has been through soooo much while we lost contact for the past 6 years, but now she is back in my life and I want her to feel beautiful!

For the past few days I've been dolling her up (she has never wore makeup before other than mascara here and there), she has absolutely fallen in love with her new glam side and asked me to teach her how to apply makeup! Im super excited!!!

So for Christmas Ive decided that Ill be hooking her up with MAKEUP and beauty tools! Im planning to buy her some of the same items from my collection that I have been using on her BUT I want her to be able to keep up her new looks and I know that she simply cant afford to spend $40 or more on a single beauty product.

So, Im asking for some advice from you Beauties, what are your favorite BUDGET FRIENDLY beauty items and what about primers?

Thanks!!!

I love Milani liquifeye liners- they work just as well for me as high end gel pencils. Their only drawback is the limited colors.

When you think about it, a lot of beauty items last pretty long. It's just that many of us get attracted by the shinies and want to buy more. Eye shadow palettes can last ages - just take a look at the project pan threads. Same with blushes. You generally don't use that much of them, so they end up lasting a while. Foundation will vary depending on type, how thickly it's applied, etc. Eyeliner will depend on type. Pencils last longer, while liquids and gels may dry out sooner. I can't use pencils due to raccoon eye syndrome, so gel liner is repurchased a few times a year. Lipsticks I can see varying a lot more, but that's personal. I think with you helping set her up with a few key items that can cost more, but last a while, supplementing / replacing can be fairly reasonable.

I think what you set her up with will last her a good while. For drugstore items, NYX and ELF provide some good quality, affordable items. Some can be a bit hit or miss, but these stores have great return policies on cosmetics, so no real harm in trying if you're really interested in an item. I personally really love the NYX eyeshadow primer. For me, it works far better than the original UD primer potion. There are some other prestige primers that are better, but the NYX is still real good. It's about $7 and will last a good while. Primers can be rather dependent on personal body chemistry, though.

If you're friend has normal to dry skin, she may consider an unexpected dupe for the original Smashbox Photofinish makeup primer: Monistat Anti-Chafing gel. Do not mistake this for the yeast infection medicine. It's just made by the same company and found in a similar area. If you compare the ingredient list to the Smashbox, they are pretty much the same. This may not be a viable option if she has oilier skin or cannot use silicones. 

Wet n' Wild's quality has come a long way from when many of us were young. Various people like them for a variety of products. I've only experienced their shadows. Some are a miss, but some are great for the price. 

For setting powders, I think some popular options are Rimmel's Stay Matte powder and Essence's (eek, not sure of the name). This both have talc pretty high on the list, so if there are any talc sensitivities, Physician's Formula has a talc-free pressed powder line. They are a bit pricier, but still drugstore pricing, and it lasts a while. I think NYX and ELF have their own HD setting powders that I've been curious about trying. 

I like ELF's HD powder very much, and it's only 6 bucks so you can't go wrong there. Their shadows, however, are kind of a crapshoot, but you can get a big bouquet of brushes for either 1or 3 dollars apiece. If you're going to get your friend an inexpensive shadow palette, get her the Maybelline Nudes set or the Wet n Wild big palettes. They really do blend and wear well, and if you get one neutral set and one crazy one she'll be well set. For powders I like Neutrogena's mattifying powder and I use Neutrogena Mineral Sheers foundation. They are a little more expensive but still drugstore territory, and in my experience they go a very long time before needing a touch-up. Wet n Wild's Fergie eye primer is one of the best I've ever used. For lipsticks, the sky really is the limit, there are so many that are so cheap. Wet n Wild has stepped up their game with the lip colors, and Revlon's basic line (the black tubes, not the crayons) is budget-friendly and has a ton of colors.

I would recommend the Wet N Wild Comfort Zone palette. I use it even more than my UD ones. If you can find a sale on Revlon lipstick they have a great formula and colour range! ELF is good for brushes and I like their moisturizing lipsticks and for the little girls, their lip balm pots (yummy!)

Essence is probably my favourite bargain brand. I like their limited edition stuff the most, but their automatic eyeliners are my tried-and-true.

I second the NYX and Wet N Wild eye primers!!!

n'thing the ELF, NYX and WnW products. A nice palette would last forever, like the CS revealed, then supplement with some non neutrals. The NYX HD eyeshadow base is apparently just as good as Lorac and other high end brands. Their chunky eyeshadow pencil in Milk is also a great base that makes bright colors pop. 

If you wanted to do a nice gift that will give throughout the year, maybe a subscription to Birchbox or similar $10/month subscription? ELF has a beauty bundle for $60 for half a year (I think it's monthly?) that would give her a nice surprise every month. BB is nice because it would introduce her to a variety of new brands and really only costs $5/month because of the points you get from reviewing the items. 

For lip products, I loooovvveee the Wet N Wild Megalast Lipsticks. I think I pretty much have all the shades. The pigmentation is wonderful! They are usually only $1.99 and are on sale at the drugstores and such for 40% off frequently, so I buy most of mine for about $1.19! I also love the Rimmel Show Off Lip Lacquers and the Maybelline Vivids, and pretty much any NYX lip product I've tried has been a win.

I agree with the above people about Wet N Wild eye shadows. They can be hit or miss, but overall,  a really great buy!

Definitely agree on all of these. I nearly fainted last night when I was idly browsing the Coastal Scents site and saw the e/s pots for $1.99 -- whaaaaaaat? Srsly. I had intended to give myself a small treat because we came into a little money, and for $30 with shipping I got a 12-full-sized-shadow palette, 5 full-sized pans, and a blender brush.

Definitely yes to Wet N Wild megalast lipsticks. Those things are wonderful.

Also would recommend ELF lip crayons. Pink Umbrellas is my favorite light pink go-to lipstick, and has been for a couple of years.

Splurging on makeup sometimes is a great idea, especially when it is a product that will last at least a year, but when it comes to juggling a busy schedule and a bunch of kids ... well, I know I lose stuff all the time. If I can find a cheap product that is nearly like an expensive one, I find I end up using and enjoying it more because I can be less cautious about carrying it around or slathering it on. Does that seem strange to anyone else?

Hello. I think that is awesome!

I suggest any drugstore items, specifically the wet and wild, NYX, and Maybelline. I really enjoy those brands. Supposedly the colour pop cosmetics are becoming very popular. I'm eager to try them out myself. Those can only be purchased online though, to my knowledge at https://colourpop.com/. And as far as tools, I use RC Cosmetic makeup brushes and they are such great quality for the price you pay!! Most makeup brush sets run about 80+ dollars. But I got a great set for just around 40. You can find those at http://www.rc-cosmetics.com/. I hope this helps! 

Summer (aka ICraveBeauty)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN_aDCIdOhAfdpcc1DIQVJA

Elf $1 eyeshadow primer works as well for me as Urban Decays primer potion. Also the 3 pan eyeshadow palettes from Wet and Wild are good quality and take the guess work out of what colors to use together. Remmel gloss is nice and have a good amount of colors. 

*also Elf $3 brushes are great

Don't forget you can stretch that $40 with coupons and buy1get1s at places like Walgreens or CVS.

Last edited by a moderator:
ELF is probably my favorite of the more accessible makeup brands. Their stuff is really affordable, and they have a large variety of products. I'd look up some ELF dupes on pinterest and such because a lot of their products are pretty much exact matches for more expensive brands. I have the elf cover everything concealer in corrective yellow and it is an exact match for Benefit Lemon Aid. They also dupe Nars blushes with great success. And the Elf primers for face and eyes are great too.

I also love Hard Candy. They sell through Walmart, and have really cute packaging and fun items. Still pretty affordable too. My holy grail base and concealer are HC. (CC Creme and Glamoflage. Glamoflage is unreal.)

If you want to get a good set of brushes, check out EcoTools. Most of my brushes are EcoTools, and many of them have made it with me all the way from high school without a hitch. Elf has good studio brushes too, and you can also get good deals on Coastal Scents brush sets if you catch them on sale.

Lastly, check out your local TJ Maxx. The ones I've been to sell tons of high end products for steep discounts. Great place to get tools, and other choice goodies for cheap cheap cheap.

Hope that helps. Good luck, and happy shopping!

I love the Wet n Wild eyeshadows and lipsticks! ELF has incredible brushes, the $1 eye primer is my fave, great blushes,lipsticks and jumbo lip pencils.  NYX has great lipsticks, lip butters and eyeshadows. Jordana jumbo eye and lip pencils are a win. Watch Walgreens and CVS sale flyers for great deals.

Check out Big Lots, Dollar Stores, and TJ Maxx for deals as well. Great makeup can definitely be found at bargain prices.

Back