If you have a Neutral Skin Tone and Want a MAC Foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to buy some foundation from MAC, but I have a neutral skin tone. I know MAC has the foundations with pink undertones (NW) and yellow undertones (NC) but what do you do if you are in the middle? I'm very pale also. Should I lean towards NW or NC?

I want to buy some foundation from MAC, but I have a neutral skin tone. I know MAC has the foundations with pink undertones (NW) and yellow undertones (NC) but what do you do if you are in the middle? I'm very pale also. Should I lean towards NW or NC?
This is a tough one, as you have to mix in one of their tints or tones to neutralize a foundation shade up or down in your skin tone in either the NW or NC lines. Also determining your neutral skin tone via a computer monitor is tough as well, too many variables. I suggest going into a MAC Pro store for a consult or attend one of their Pro Mixing Labs they put on twice a year (usually in Spring or Fall which coincides with the seasonal Fashion Weeks).

To continue...

This can be quite tricky as you have to mix every time you put on foundation and getting the right mixture each time is very tricky. 

Or (I am assuming you're using a liquid texture..) you can decant a bottle in a bowl, mix in your tint or tone and then refill the bottle.

Another option is to choose another brand that does carry neutral shades like Ben Nye, Cinema Secrets, Graftobian, Kryolan, and RCMA, which is a lot easier as you don't have to play chemist every time you have to put on your foundation.

Just curious, why does it have to be a MAC foundation? I do understand brand appeal  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />, so besides that...

Last edited by a moderator:
MAC does carry some foundations that are just neutral. They will have just the letter N and a number. MAC Studiofix Powder +Foundation comes in N4, N5, and a couple of other numbers. It's better to get color matched, or try other brands in store to find a perfect match. Be sure to check the color in natural daylight, not just store lighting.

MAC does carry some foundations that are just neutral. They will have just the letter N and a number. MAC Studiofix Powder +Foundation comes in N4, N5, and a couple of other numbers. It's better to get color matched, or try other brands in store to find a perfect match. Be sure to check the color in natural daylight, not just store lighting.
I thought they discontinued that numbering system??? No? I remember the N series years ago... I guess it never left lol. Thanks @@Kristine Walker:p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back