How Celebrity Makeup Artists Pick The looks for Red Carpet Events

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this interesting article about celebrity makeup artists and how they pick the looks for red carpet events. This is an interview with Kristen Stewart's makeup artist, Beau Nelson. I wanted to share it here in case anyone is interested. Click here for the article.

Good article by Alina. And it's accurate on how we MUA's create looks for events, It's pretty much we work as a team, (H/M/W) and the celebrity's input.

Years ago in the late 90's in Calgary, I worked with Beau Nelson, Hung Van Ngo (Hung Vanngo), and Mary Gordy. All three were well established artists there when I was just first starting out there, Mary took me under her wing, and Beau and Hung were very competitive with everyone, almost hostile, especially with me being the new kid-on-the-block and all. We all did a lot of editorial catalogue, fashion and runway work together and apart. After awhile we became cordial, y'know, professional courtesy.

In the early 2000's we all moved to Toronto at different times (except Mary). I only knew this as we ran into each other at several fashion shows, and we were like reminiscing friends. We all had agents, and of course life happens... They went the celebrity route and I went the film/TV route. All three of us have a healthy respect and admiration for each other when we do run into each other here in Toronto at some event or another.  

It's interesting seeing each other's work in print or in film and seeing how far we've progressed and knowing our signature tricks we used to achieve our respective looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back