How do you start a makeup kit? Question about RCMA Shinto Palette

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking into starting a makeup kit, I'm a hairstylist and want to move into the makeup world. 

So where do you start? There was a blog post I read with a good breakdown of things you need, and there's so much it's overwhelming. I don't want to spend toooo much just starting out. 

I'm looking at getting the RCMA Vincent Kehoe Shinto foundation palette. Based on the tutorial I watched for this foundation and the consistency of it, it seems like you only want to use this with other cream products? Has anyone worked with this? If I were to put a powder blush on top of it would it create a disaster? Or does it intermix well with other makeup types? 

What are the basic essentials? I keep getting overwhelmed by all the things I think I need, but if I can get away without some of those things to start that would be ideal.

First, before you venture in the makeup world check with your state and see if you need a licence to practise make up application... some states require certifications/licences/etc.

You may have to take a makeup course or two to satisfy the needs of the health department. 

Either way, to answer your question, the RCMA brand is awesome.  With cream foundations, you just need to set it with a good powder before you can use any other type of powder.  Once you set it with powder tho, you need to know that you cannot go back in with a cream.

Basic rule of thumb:  Cream on cream, powder on powder... cream to powder... never powder to cream.

Hope this helps.

Congrats on wanting to start to build your makeup kit. It can be the most exciting and also confusing processes. I've been a pro makeup artist for several years and I still am working on building my makeup kit. My biggest suggestion would be to buy quality over quantity. I started buying cheap makeup just to have more stuff in my kit but quickly realized that that's the wrong way to go. Especially when clients are paying you to use top brand names or things of quality.

I'd love to help you build your kit and answer any specific questions you have.

As for the RCMA foundations...those are great palettes to start out with. You have a variety of colors to use on all skin tones and they have good coverage too. I still use this foundation for beauty makeup.

Thank you both for the suggestions!

I'm pretty sure there's no license requirement here in Oregon, but I'll double check on that.

Ok so I will pick up a RCMA palette for foundation.

I have a basic CAO makeup kit from beauty school:

liquid foundation in light, med and dark but the lightest is even too dark for my skin, it seems like it wouldn't be good for camera work. Coverage is pretty light.

Concealer palette

Blush palette

Lip gloss palette

Small eyeshadow palette, but not a good color range, so I think I need another eye palette

A couple eye/lip pencils

So I need a good primer/ setting powder, eyeliners, mascara...

Does this pretty much cover the basics for makeup? Am I missing anything? Right off the bat, is it necessary to also have bronzer, corrective concealers (like green/yellow), lipsticks, contouring palette? Contouring's really big right now...

Also, are cream/gel eyeliners the best for using on people? Pencils seem like they never go on very nicely. Should I just get a black and a brown?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back