foundation primer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A face primer can correct coloring and/or smooth out your face and acts as something for your makeup to grab onto and last longer. Similar with eye and lip primers.

I use them, especially living in the heat and humidity, so my makeup doesn't melt off during the day.

I've only used three so far, but it really is a process of trial and error finding the primer right for you, so if you can get them in sample sizes to start, all the better.

I use primers too when I want my makeup to last longer. I even use them when I use BB creams or tinted moisturizers because I like the way they smooth the skin. Application of foundation etc is easier after. It's really a trial and error to find one(s) that work for you. I like Laura Mercier and Jouer primers. I also like Estee Lauder Idealist which is more of a serum being used under a moisturizer but it smooths pores and creates better canvas to work with. Many lines have their own. Elf, Tarte and Too Faced have them too among many other lines. Getting a sample is the best way to try them out as @@Jayderose mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
What purpose does primer serve?

Does anyone use a primer?

What do you recommend?
1) It helps smooth out the skin by minimizing pores and fine lines, and that smooth skin allows your foundation to go on more smoothly, helps it to adhere better and lasts longer without your foundation oxidizing. 

2) We Pro MuA's use primers all the time.

3) I use Smashboxs' Photofinish primer. There are lots of primers on the market and they all do the same thing. 

What are the best high end primers for combination skin?
Try Kryolan's HD Micro Primer...

https://static3.kryolan.com/sites/default/files/product-images/19098_00/19098_00_prod_HD-micro-primer-flat.png

or their Ultra Underbase if you're using a creme based foundation...

https://static3.kryolan.com/sites/default/files/product-images/09099_00/09098_00_prod_ultra-under-base-Plus-geschlossen.png

Most primers on the market work on all skin types including Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer Water...

http://www.smashbox.com/media/images/products/340x527/SB_C23T_SKUC23T01_340.jpg

Hi! When you apply primer before under foundation, your skin will look smoother as it helps to control oil, seal pores and soften skin. Some primers have SPF in it which helps to protect you skin from the sun. Many people also use primer to help their makeup stay on longer. It is good to use a primer if you are going out for a long time with makeup on and you don't want it to smudge. 

Yes, I do use a primer. I started using it this year, I use it everyday after I discovered it because I love what it does to my skin! My skin type is combination, so my T-zone often gets oily and breakouts easily especially after using foundation.  so I actually stopped using foundation before I discovered primers.

I would recommend Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, it has always been my favourite! And it really helps in controlling oil secretion on my T-zone and helps my makeup stay on. It is a product I would definitely repurchase after I finish using it. You can probably get a sample from Mecca to see if it is suitable for your skin. Hope I helped in answering your question!

On an everyday basis, I use Too Faced Hangover primer and it feels hydrating!  If I'm getting fancy, then I'll use Benefit Porefessional and it helps reduce my large pores and keep my skin matte for longer.

What are the best high end primers for combination skin?

Also, in high school when I was on a budget, I would use Monistat and it really does the same thing as Beneit Porefessional or Smashbox Photofinish, minus any color correcting properties.

i have dry skin, so i avoid primers with silicone inside it to prevent further drying of my face

My current fvourite primer is Illamasqua Hydra veil coz it gives moisture to my face before i apply my make up and yet my make up will still stay put the whole day 

Personally, I think avoiding silicone in primers should is a wise idea, regardless of skin type.

Anyone tried mixing primer with cream foundation? It gives a much more translucent look to the finish, gives good coverage, and doesn't look like a plasterer has done the job.

Laura Mercier primer is great! I have been using it for the last year and I don't think anything else helps keep my make-up on as long. I will also sometimes use it for my eyeshadow primer depending on my time. Make sure you place primer and wait 2-3 min before applying foundation for best results. Again Laura Mercier primer is exceptional AND one tube will last you more than several months. Good Luck XOXO

I really like the Laura Mercier primer too. I've used it for years on and off and always come back to it.

Back