Help with my Foundation PLEASE

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have very oily skin, even acne prone and I used to use Walmart foundation like cover girl. So when I went and got matched with a Clinique acne solutions liquid lipstick and a stay matte powder I had very high expectations seeing that I spent over $50 on just foundation. well it covers really well I don't need concealer but my foundation gets so cakey. it rubs off if someone touches my face I've tried putting moisturizer then a translucent powder then liquid foundation and then my other powder and basically the same results I'm still very optimistic and I'm hoping I can find a solution because I like the foundation juts not the really after wearing it for an hour so please if you have any tips or tricks im willing to try anything

What moisturizer are you using under the foundation? It sounds to me that the moisturizer you are using and the foundation might not be compatible. If the moisturizer is silicone based and the foundation is water based, it will cause the foundation to cake. You can also try a primer under the foundation. Moisturizing the skin before is very important for the foundation to go on smoothly and stay even if you have an oilier skin.

Hi @! I just want to make sure I read that right. You're wearing moisturizer, then a transulcent powder over the moisturizer, and then adding liquid foundation on top of your powder, and then setting it with a different powder? If that's the case, your foundation is caking up most likely bc a liquid over a powder will not work. As a general rule, apply all liquids to your face before you use any powder products. 

Use a moisturizer that is made for your skin. I definitely would suggest an oil-free moisturizer for your oily/acne prone skin. Neutrogena makes a good oil-free moisturizer that won't clog your pores. Wait 2-3 mins for it to dry before applying your primer. I definitely suggest a mattifying primer, or possibly a silicone based primer, although a lot of silicone based primers will clog your pores, so if you do choose one, then make sure you are cleansing and exfoliating really well each night.

Next, choose a foundation that is mattyifing or a satin finish. The Clinique Acne Solutions foundation will probably work just fine, as it is non-comedogenic (meaning it doesn't clog pores) and is a sheer to medium coverage. Then, set it with either a translucent powder, or a tinted powder that specifically says "setting" or "finishing" powder. Alternatively, there are a few light powders at the drugstore that can set your foundation, but won't cake up on the skin. Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Pressed Powder are both good choices. You can use the sponge to blot the powder on any shiny/oily areas, but use a brush to lightly dust a small amount of powder over the rest of your face. You don't need very much powder, since your foundation should be carrying the majority of the weight here, The powder should set your foundation, essentially drying it on your face, so it doesn't transfer. You might also try a mattifying setting spray, to increase the longevity of your makeup, and to keep you matte as well. I like Nyx Cosmetics Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray.

I will let you know that a loose powder is generally suggested for oily skin, bc loose powder soaks up oil more, but you can use a pressed powder if you like and it will get the job done, if maybe not quite as well as a loose powder would have. I would just use your translucent powder to set your foundation, but since you mentioned having some acne issues, you may want a little extra coverage to cover any redness or scarring, since the Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup is a sheer to medium finish. The powders above will give you that. And of course, make sure you are cleansing and removing every bit of makeup each night, and exfoliating at least 3 times a week, to unclog your pores and give your skin a deep clean. I might also suggest a clay or mud mask, to help purify the skin and unclog your pores. Let me know if you'd like me to give more info on that! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Back