What does "buffing" mean?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pardon my "newbieness" but I've seen and read the term "buffing" when putting on foundation...

I looked up online and never understood...

if anyone can explain it...and what it accomplishes...or even post PICS of what this method is/does it'd be GREAT ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If I am not mistaken, buffing is simply another term used to say "even out" the foundation over the face. For instance, if you put your liquid fondation on with a sponge...you would flip the sponge over to the clean side and gently go over the foundation...thereby removing excess and making sure that it is even all over the face.

Does that make sense? I hope I explained it right...

I don't. I dab it in with my fingers, or i use makup brush doing small strokes, one next to another, then i blend it with fingers (by dabbing) - but i am not sure if this is the best technique. works for me :icon_wink

I've never heard of buffing either, but I found this info:

Continual skin damage application buffing is touted by mineral makeup companies as their exclusive make-up application methods. Our powder cosmetics are easy to apply without the waste or mess caused by other mineral brands.

Research is showing that continual buffing, and pressing of foundation powder make up into facial skin, can tear, rip, and poke thousands of microscopic holes and cracks within the delicate facial area. This can lead to harmful bacteria entering, predisposing skins surface to cystic acne lesions, bacterial infections, redness, rosacea, hypersensitivity, and early wrinkles and lines. Skin can take on a leathery look and feel while repeatedly trying to heal itself from the damage inflicted upon its surface by this unnecessary makeup applying method.

Very interesting! :icon_wink :icon_chee

Source:

http://www.raesinimages.com/foundation%20extraordinary.htm

buffing is when you're working the foundation on your skin so that it's all even and smooth and kind of molds into your skin.

To buff something mean to make the surface smooth to giave a good texture, so in the makeup sense, it means to give an even and smooth surface or whatever you use on the face, weather it be foundation, or powder, or blush...

Yes, this term is very often used with mineral products. It will say to "buff in a circular motion." Most of the time a brush is used.

Yes I've seen this with the bare escentuals mineral veil, that's why I wanted to ask :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So when I apply the mineral veil, should the circles go outward? Small circles or large circles?

Isn't it recommend that foundation be mainly applied in a downwards motion so that it doesn't get caught in small facial hairs on the skin? I don't remember where I heard this but it seems to make sense.

Is it possible to buff in a downwards direction?

i always apply my foundation from the centre of my face outwards... im not sure if thats right but like most ppl here iv found a way that suits me!

Yeah I've always gone outwards lol

So I'm assuming that we'd buff outwards rather than inwards.

Back