What makes a good hair dryer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen many threads on this site since joining about what is the "best" hair dryer (for example, this recent one). But what makes a good hair dryer? Wouldn't it vary a lot depending on the type of hair the person had and how they styled it? For example, wouldn't a girl with curly hair who used a diffuser to keep the curls have different needs than a girl who blow dries her hair straight each day or a girl who has a wash-and-wear style and simply wants to dry her hair as quickly as possible? So when you girls say that a particular dryer is the "best" dryer, why do you say it's the best? (I am especially curious to hear our local hair expert Janelle's opinion!)

Well, really the things you'd look for in a dryer for someone who does their hair straight is also something you'd want to look for if you had curly hair. Ionic dryers are promoted towards people who want "smooth" straight hair... well, people who have curly hair want their hair smooth too. Nobody wants frizz or static, right? So ... an ionic dryer is good for both. Next, is speed. 1875 watt is plenty enough to dry your hair reasonably quick - for people who just dry to DRY - and not for styling. You don't want something too high in the wattage, because it tends to burn out quicker, and has a tendency to become too hot - which can scorch your hair. Ceramic dryers are nice because they heat evenly - so you don't create hot spots (burns) on your hair. And when you combine that with ionic properties.. like in the CHI one I have, it disperses the water, instead of boiling it off -- so that's why you'll get quicker drying time, and you'll retain the moisture in the hair itself. Diffusers and concentrators are usually just something you can add on - and most dryers come with a concentrating add-on. I've found that ionic dryers are what you mainly want to look for. And if you can find one with ceramic plates (instead of just the regular coils) even better. (But you end up paying more usually). I've gone through so many dryers.. and the best two I've used were the Vidal Sassoon "Ionizer" (the purple & silver one) and the CHI Rocket. One was $25 the other was $130. Big difference. LOL The only differences I see in my hair between the two is the drying time. The CHI does dry a little quicker, & it's somewhat quieter. But then again - if you've got short hair that dries quickly & you don't care about noise, it might not be a good option for you price wise. So all in all, you want something that will dry your hair quickly, will keep away the frizz, and will not fry your hair. Dryers that have these features will usually be known as the 'best' dryers... some features are "good" dryers, and basic 'hot air' ... well - basic dryers. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have to agree again with Janelle on the Vidal Sassoon Ionizer, I have one and I love it. Use it all the darn time! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back