Kitchen Necessities?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What spices, foods, tools do you think that kitchens should have?

(besides the obvious stuff...)

Getting into cooking, and I need to see if I'm missing anything in my shopping list!

A good basic set of pots and pans, a good set of knives, a basic cookbook. The rest can be purchased as needed. As far as pantry items go, pasta, rice, canned tomatoes, garlic, onions, apple cider vinegar, a good olive oil, flour, sugar. Read recipes and decide what you like and purchase what you need.

garlic powder and garlic salt. and then like multi seasoner that goes well with all kinds of things. just to add a little extra flavor

rice, a little rice cooker (so easy to use!), they sell like easy to make sauces where you just add the packet and water or milk.

One of the best things I bought was a food processor (Kitchen Aid 12 cup), it sure saves time in the kitchen, and slices and dices everything very nicely. Here is a list of spices that I have in my kitchen:

Tones Brand

Onion powder

Dry minced onions

Garlic powder

Lemon pepper

Chili powder

Canadian steak seasoning (this seasoning is awesome, it is the only thing I put on my steak) 5 stars I purchased it from Sams Club. Then again all of them (Tones brand) were purchased from Sams Club

Taco seasoning

Chili powder

Durkee Brand (purchased from Costco)

Grill Seasoning

Chicken and Rib rub

McCormick (purchased from area supermarket)

Corn Starch

Italian seasoning

Oregan leaves

Ground cumin

Ground nutmeg

Tarragon

Parsley flakes

Red pepper

Ground cinnamon

Paprika

Lawrys season salt

Famous Daves steak and burger seasoning (since finding the Canadian steak seasoning I only use this on my burgers)

I also always keep fresh veggies on hand.

Here is a great website (spiceadvice.com) you can find a lot of great spices, and recipes.

Patricia Cornwall has a cook book out. It lists everything that a great cook would ever need, and has alot of helpful info...not just recipes. I love to cook, and I think its a great book.

I'm a knife snob, and German ones are the best, imo. I've had the same Wusthof knives for 15 years now. Some cookbooks to try are "The Joy of Cooking", "Betty Crocker's Cookbook", and any 30 minute meal cookbook by Rachael Ray. My sister swears by Paula Deen, she cooks southern style. A nice, big wood cutting board (not plastic or glass), doesn't mess up your knives. I have non-stick pots and pans right now but plan on switching over to stainless steel (with thick, heavy bottoms) soon. The teflon seems to peel off no matter how expensive the piece is. And teflon accented food can't be good for you, kwim?

Back