Hygeine of makeup if someone has hepatitis

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi! i was just wondering if anyone knew much about whether we can infect people with hepatitis if you have used your products on someone who has this and then used them on someone else?????

i know that you have to use disposable brushes on people if they have a stye or a coldsore....but not sure about this?????

i recently did some makeup for a short film and found out after i had done one of the actors makeups that they had hepatitis c.... found out a few days later....and am concerned about my cake eyeliner whether i need to throw it out!!!!! and i had to do her makeup again and brought extra brushes to use on her and did throw out my other cake eyeliner that i used on her and kept all the brushes seperate and threw out mascara wands sponges powder puffs that i used on her - but i have kept the brushes and sterilised them washed them but not sure whether i should bother to keep them or just throw them out... and also the first makeup i did on her should i throw out the eyeshadows that i used on her, her eyes were a nightmare to do as they kept watering all day and she had bad crusty acne which meant there couldve been contamination on my products and tools i used on her face, bad acne....scary day!!!! Does anyone know anything about this?????? help!!!!!
icon_scratch.gif

hi! thanks for that very informative....

i have thrown out anything that i used on her face because as i said she had bad acne and some of them were bleeding!!!!!

and although the article says the virus is found in tears but there has been no documentation of it being spread through tears dosent mean that it cant be just that there is no documentation to prove this as yet....

so thanks for that very informative site.....
satisfied.gif

Hi,

The best advice I can give you is to speak with a medical professional.

Originally Posted by Leza1121 Hi,

Same here.
Though I thought hepatitis was mostly in blood? I could be wrong. Depends what kind of hep it is too. I think hep C can stay alive outside of the body for days?

i definitely agree, to be on the safe side!!

Hi,

I was just thinking that if I would be your next customer and found out that you used the same eyeshadows and brushes on me - after using them on her - I wouldn't like it!

So my advice is to let the old eyeshadows go, along with everything else you used on her. I think it's safer for your other clients.

Hope this helps,

tin :)

I would defently bin whatever you used on the customer, ok you might loose some nice makeup but thats the price you will have to pay
eusa_wall.gif
xxxxxx

I don't know much about Hep C but if it were me I'd just throw it all away. Safer that way and less worry.
icon_confused.gif

If I were you I'd throw the stuff out just to be on the safe side. If by some slim chance it happened to get passed on to someone else that would be terrible since I don't think it is curable.. but, I also agree that you should talk to a medical pro just for info.

If there were any openings on the face and you were applying then reapplying with same brush or whatever, then yes...better to be safe than sorry. Hepatitis lives outside the body for a long time as opposed to HIV which "dies" immed, but unless it has an entry point into something (a cut, scratch, etc) it is difficult to pass along. Example. You use a sponge on someone with HEP. who has an open sore which is maybe bleeding. The HEP virus would live on the sponge a long time. HIV would not. But with disposable stuff, it wouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by kelly1965rn If there were any openings on the face and you were applying then reapplying with same brush or whatever, then yes...better to be safe than sorry. Hepatitis lives outside the body for a long time as opposed to HIV which "dies" immed, but unless it has an entry point into something (a cut, scratch, etc) it is difficult to pass along. Example. You use a sponge on someone with HEP. who has an open sore which is maybe bleeding. The HEP virus would live on the sponge a long time. HIV would not. But with disposable stuff, it wouldn't be an issue. i was hoping you'd answer! thanks for the info
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kelly1965rn If there were any openings on the face and you were applying then reapplying with same brush or whatever, then yes...better to be safe than sorry. Hepatitis lives outside the body for a long time as opposed to HIV which "dies" immed, but unless it has an entry point into something (a cut, scratch, etc) it is difficult to pass along. Example. You use a sponge on someone with HEP. who has an open sore which is maybe bleeding. The HEP virus would live on the sponge a long time. HIV would not. But with disposable stuff, it wouldn't be an issue. Hi Kelly,
Thanks so much for steppiing in to answer this question.

Originally Posted by kelly1965rn If there were any openings on the face and you were applying then reapplying with same brush or whatever, then yes...better to be safe than sorry. Hepatitis lives outside the body for a long time as opposed to HIV which "dies" immed, but unless it has an entry point into something (a cut, scratch, etc) it is difficult to pass along. Example. You use a sponge on someone with HEP. who has an open sore which is maybe bleeding. The HEP virus would live on the sponge a long time. HIV would not. But with disposable stuff, it wouldn't be an issue. hi kellythanks for that information!!! i did read articles about hep once i found out that she had it. and yes kept everything seperate on the day i used on her and threw away anything i used on her face on that day...all my eyeshadows were pigments so i used a spatula to get them out and keep them seperate just in case so there was no transferral...and i bought seperate brushes and threw them out...my problem was that i had done makeup on her before, a week before and had used eyeshadow on her then before i knew about her condition...and then used these on myself...so was really upset that i found out this after...and wasnt able to properly prepare...so just wanted to know what others thought or if they had come across any other articles that i hadnt...which one person had re: tears... thankyou to all who replied to this....i will double check with a doctor though....and i have thrown out my other cake eyeliner and shadows...

another question? what would be proper protocol when doing makeup on someone, as we can see a stye or a coldsore but cant see hep...How do you ask people if they have this....without making people feel uncomfortable???? maybe a short little form would do it but i will check with a doctor first......

anyway just a thought!!!! thanks again to everyone who replied to this!!

shellya x

Hi,

Bfore I start the makeup application, I just ask people (while I'm sanitizing my hands), if they have any allergies or anything else that I need to know.

Bfore I start the makeup application, I just ask people (while I'm sanitizing my hands), if they have any allergies or anything else that I need to know.

hi! leza,thanks for that....so simple and smart to do that and something i hadnt thought of.....great advice...thanks again...

shellya x
laughing.gif

In agreement with Leza about washing hands and asking about allergies and whatnot, another thing you could probably do is only use disposable items for all makeover/facials. I used to sell MK, and that's how it's done there. No "double-dipping" in the mascara or anything... Eye and lip liners are sample sized, which I realize may be harder depending on the circumstances at any given point in time. Although it does help keep it a little more sanitary...

Originally Posted by shellya hi! i was just wondering if anyone knew much about whether we can infect people with hepatitis if you have used your products on someone who has this and then used them on someone else?????i know that you have to use disposable brushes on people if they have a stye or a coldsore....but not sure about this?????

i recently did some makeup for a short film and found out after i had done one of the actors makeups that they had hepatitis c.... found out a few days later....and am concerned about my cake eyeliner whether i need to throw it out!!!!! and i had to do her makeup again and brought extra brushes to use on her and did throw out my other cake eyeliner that i used on her and kept all the brushes seperate and threw out mascara wands sponges powder puffs that i used on her - but i have kept the brushes and sterilised them washed them but not sure whether i should bother to keep them or just throw them out... and also the first makeup i did on her should i throw out the eyeshadows that i used on her, her eyes were a nightmare to do as they kept watering all day and she had bad crusty acne which meant there couldve been contamination on my products and tools i used on her face, bad acne....scary day!!!! Does anyone know anything about this?????? help!!!!!
icon_scratch.gif

Don't worry Shellya. There are 3 main types of viral hepatitis: A, B, and C. Hepatitis C is mainly transmitted via blood (some sexual transmission is possible but not common). Therefore, unless you have an open wound is your skin that got in touch with the person's blood, there is nothing to worry about.

Just for educational purpouses: Hepatitis B can also be transmitted via blood (blood transfusions, etc) and sex. Hepatitis A is transmitted from fecal oral route, meaning you drink or eat liquids/foods that were infected by someone with the virus that touched the food.

There is not such a thing as transmission from skin to skin.
smile.gif
Not even HIv is transmitted that way. So it is fine to keep your eyeliner.
smile.gif

Thais

Ditto that Leza. And also always work from a palette and spatula, that way you never contaminate your makeup.
smile.gif
Cindy

But remember, they might not tell you what they have even if you ask them.

Back