Vegan and non vegan

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found an article about makeup info that I didn't know. This is part of it:

Know what gets my knitting needles in a bundle? When people think a company is vegan and it is not! Know what company people spread the vegan-lies about most? MAC! While MAC is the company that most of us crave when it comes to bright colors and glitter, the company is far from vegan-safe. The only product that I use from the line is the StudioFix powder compact. Everything else seems to be coated in carmine. (Carmine is a bright red color derived from the cochineal insect. I bet you don’t want crushed beetles on your face!)

The full article is here:

Many companies are not vegan because they still use beeswax in their products. I love my vegan lipglazes from Monave Minerals, they're a vegan company, btw.

I never thought MAC was vegan just cruelty free.....Its still gross though.

Well, i don't think it's "too" gross... I was reading about it on wikipedia and it's one of the few pigments that is safe for use on cosmetics; if it didn't exist, probably it would be a lot more difficult to have red lipstick and such things *remember that most red pigments - like basic red , from MAC - aren't reccomended for use on the eye - it's because of that

MAC's using insects in their cosmetics doesn't bother me. This is something that's been done down through the ages. Boiled insects are one of the original dyes still being used for many purposes. I remember when there was a great alarm when people realised that "Soup Starter" contained insects, if you read the ingredients on everything that you used on a daily basis, you be surprised! Many of these ingredients are generic given names that we cannot pronounce.
sheep.gif

I for one am a bit grossed out by that. But also note, I have a phobia of bugs. I'm sure there are many things that we don't know.

Heck....there are alot of things I won't eat because of it. Tuna for one....man they just have to make sure to stay under a certain number of insect parts.....ewwweee.....and imagine all the other stuff we eat.....same applies in other food items too.

Really that didn't bother me but it was interesting to know. I don't really care but it would be kinda gross if I were to put that stuff on my mouth.

I undertstand if it doesnt bother some but it still grosses me out I dont care how common it is eww.

Originally Posted by kaeisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif At least they can say it's a natural ingredient...LOL... This is true lmao
laughing.gif

Cochineal has been used for thousands of years. Its one of the oldest fomrs of pigment available. Although it doesn't give MAC the privilege of being "cruelty-free" since the are smashing little bugs. But I have no problem with smearing bug guts on my face personally.

Back