Glycolic Acid Peel

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to a website today to order some Mineral Makeup samples and saw that they had Glycolic Peel Kits (pre solution, acid and a brush). I really want to do one of these, but not sure doing it at home is 'safe'. It was a 40% pharmaceutical grade kit. Any thoughts? I really want to
smile.gif

Marti

They're safe, just be sure to follow the directions. You might want to start with 30% ga and then later on you can increase it.

Thanks! I didn't see a 30% peel on this site (aubreynicole.com) but I did go ahead and order the 40%. I saw a coupon code on acne.org for 10% off and used that (type in acne.org) and it was a good deal!

Thanks,

Marti

I've never used a peel, but I was advised to start with a lower percentage. Best of luck, and let us know how it works for you!

40% seems a bit agressive to me. have you ever had a glycolic peel before? do you already know how your skin will react? just i few questions i'd ask before going with such a strong percentage. let us know how it works out!

i agree i think u shud start with a lower percentage bcoz u dnt knw hw ur skin will react esp if this is the first time u're doing it it can b a bit tricky u want to apply and remove fast 2 achieve a unform peel and nt burnt in one area and underpeeled in another which will give u an uneven look and that wud defeat the whole purpose but if u do decided to use the 40% becareful hun and best of luck

I agree with everyone else. START AT A LOWER PERCENTAGE. I get glycolic treatments at my dermatologist's office fairly regularly and there have been times when they went a little too strong or didn't wash it off completely and I end up with red, irritated blotches on my face for days. The first time it happened I freaked out because I thought the glycolic acid had burnt my skin. But it just takes a few days for it to peel off. But until it does, you're left with red, flaky blotches that are VERY difficult to cover up with makeup. So definitely start small and let your skin build up a tolerance.

When I was ready to start Glycolic Peels, I called the company to discuss the safest/most effective thing to do, and they told me since my goal was younger looking skin AND getting rid of dark spots, I should start with the milder Lactic Acid Peels before doing Glycolic.

Took their advice, and am very pleased. (Lactic Acid is supposed to be better at getting rid of dark spots.)

hi I am new here But I am pretty up to date with all aspects of the skin care industry. Before you purchase the Glycolic acid peel make sure the ph is at a low level, somewhere btw 2.5 and 3, any ph Higher than 3 will not be as effective. When dealing with beta Hydroxy acids the ph are differnt depending on the strengths. Exfoliants can't penetrate the skins surface if there ph is higher than the ph of the skin itself.

When purchasing any exfoliant you need to follow some simple rules.

Make sure the ph is correct

start with the lowest peel and work your way up to stronger one when your skin can handle it.

Don't over do it you could do more harm than good, such as scaring or permanent discolorations.

Ps The stronger the Glycolic peel the lower the ph needs to be.

Also pre treating the skin with Glycolics or retinoids can give you a better result in the long run. Treat 2 weeks prior to any peel.

start at 30... because lol... even 30 stings like hell.... so 40 would be nuts.

But lactic acid peels at 40% are much gentler... lactic peels actually work better from me.

I agree lactic acid peels are gentler. But it's okay to use glycolic 40% if your skin isn't super sensitive. Just don't leave it on for too long and don't use it too frequently when you first start off.

Back