Oily girls:What's the best finishing powder you tried?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those with oily skin and pores, what's the best fiinishing powder you tried, that can really blot?

I tried the April's Mix from Pure Luxe but it ddid nothing plus it has shimmers, which is not good for my oilness LOL

Also the BE Mineral Veil does nothing, actually it makes me more greasy!

Also the simply finishing powder from EDM which I thought it was the best of those I tried!

I also have one from Alima but I haven't try it yet!

This is a great question, I want to know too as I'm new to this and have oily skin. I've already had to blot my Ocean Mist and it's only been two hours

Ive only tried EDM finishing dust. It doesnt control oils at all. Im all shiny only after a few hours.

Absolutely Aubrey Nicole (aubreynicole.com). I don't have to blot at all! The coverage is great and the Mineral Veil is so silky. I use the Linen shade and love it. I've used the Finishing Silk too and really like it as well...but like the Veil better.

Marti

The absolute best is EDM balancing dust. It keeps me free all day long - but it can make you kinda whitish, which is actually why I'm laying off the EDM for awhile.

I kind of feel that way too. But I must admit that the Joppa finishing dust does seem to work a tad bit better than the others I've tried. For the most part though, they do all work about the same.

To be honest all of the mineral based ones pretty much do work with about the same efficiency which if you're oily like I've become lately is a little disappointing. I did buy this BLOT powder though From Sista-Faces which is either owned or partners with Milanminerals. Anyway what I got is awesome and it's as good as MAC's but cheaper. It works perfectly for me and only cost me $11 bucks.

oilcontrol.jpg

Welcome to Sista-Faces.Com is the link and this stuff is really awesome. Doesn't change the color of your foundation at all either.

The Silk Powder from Lumiere is really awesome! It comes in sheer, ivory and sand. I have the sand and it is very lightly tinted, won't change the color of your face at all. This moisturizes your face AND blots oilies at the same time. I don't know how it works, but it is really wonderful stuff. I've used EDM finishing dust and didn't think it did much at all. A larger jar of silk powder is only $10-12 grams in a 30 gram jar. HIGHLY recommend this product!!

I haven't been impressed with finishing dust so I tend to use regular powder with my MMU.

Ohhh that's great, I'm expecting a sample of Silk Powder but I got it in Ivory, now I worry it might be too light!

Don't worry, you should be fine, just don't use a ton of it and you won't look pale!

Hmmm. I've used silk powder from 3 companies so far. Oceanmists, Lumiere's, and EDM's and quite honestly none of them worked any better than regular finishing dust or powder.

It just didn't do it for me so I guess it depends on how oily your skin is or how often you want to blot.

The only one I've tried is EDM's Finishing Dust (back when they just had one formula, not the Balancing Dust or whatever they have now). I thought it did absolutely NOTHING -- it did nothing for my oil and did nothing to set the foundation (EDM is the only foundation I've seen that came off on blotting sheets! it was awful).

Right now I am using Aromaleigh foundation, which is matte and supposed to be a long-lasting formula so you don't need finishing dust. They make shimmer finishing powders to add shimmer, but they're not made for controlling oil. Honestly, since I've never found a makeup (traditional or mineral) that actually made a noticeable difference in my oily skin, I just gave up and keep blotting sheets in my purse! I am in love with my blotting sheets (lol) -- they soak up the oil without messing up my makeup, while finishing dust and powders just turn into a muddy mess as I try to pile on more powder on top of all the oil! The Aromaleigh foundation does seem to last just as long as anything else I've tried as long as I use the blotting sheets.

I have several I like - and one of them is actually PL April's MIx, but then, perhaps it's because my skin isn't that oily, or at least not all over. I also like one I got from MAD minerals and from Larenim.

ok here's my take on the oily skin issue...................oily gals, learn to live withit LMAO ! For SO long I've wanted to totally banish my oily skinand it's just NEVER going to happen at least not for me it isn't. ( anyone find a cure or remedy PLEASE let me know!) as far as MMU goes there are ways to help. I think the main goal ( speaking for myself here!) is to not worry so much about how my face is looking during the day. How can I during an 8 hour day go from blotting my face 4 times down to 2! KWIM?

The starting point needs to be skin care, oily ladies need to use moisturizer to, you can't use a lot of drying products on your skin because you can actually make your skin OVER produce oil!, Find something you like for your skin and use it.You can also use a primer. Oily ladies also should use the sandwich method, get ahold of some silica ( don't use to much or it COULD make you oily!) dust your face with silica, apply your foundation and then dust again with silica.

Kaolin clay is another ingredient you could look for but try to find something with a blend of it because it does have a rough feel to it. All in all i'm just ove the opinion that if you try to work with it you'll feel much better about it.

Think of it like this.....you know your oily skin is actually going to keep your skin looking younger in the long run! lol

I like to use my biore shine free moisturizer after my foundation then I use BE mineral veil. I find if im looking oily, i sweep some on & the oil disappears.

I agree with you about learning to live with oily skin -- I've been much more accepting of my oily skin since I've started using blotting sheets -- if I can't prevent the oil, then at least I can sop it up! lol But I'd still on the lookout for good products for oily skin since I doubt anyone LIKES being greasy all day ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do use a moisturizer that has white clay in it, so it controls oil in two ways (by hydrating your skin so your skin doesn't overcompensate by producing more oil, and by the clay soaking up any extra oil your skin produces). It's actually THE only product that's made ANY difference in my oily skin, even though it still only lasts a few hours. I've heard that kaolin clay can be too harsh for a lot of skin types, but so far this moisturizer seems to work well for me .... (It is CO Bigelow Extra Light Face Lotion if anyone is interested.)

As for oily skin making you look younger, well, it's true that oily skin won't wrinkle as soon as dry skin. However, just like dry skin, oily skin will eventually lose its elasticity -- so as you get older, dry skin will wrinkle but oily skin will start to sag due to the loss of elasticity! I've really noticed that with my dad lately -- he's in his 50's and has had very oily skin his whole life, and while he looked very young up through his 40's, now he's starting to get those saggy "bulldog" cheeks! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So you should still take care of oily skin to prevent signs of aging!

Anyways that might have been a little off-topic since this thread is more about finishing powders than oily skin in general.... but I just thought I'd point a few things out :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back to the topic of mmu, I've heard that Monave mmu works well for most oily-skinned girls (I believe it has clay in it too). However, they had a very small selection of light foundation colors so I didn't even bother to try them -- brands with that few pale colors never have a color that's even close to being pale enough for me!

Back