Sparkly mineral makeup :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As far as mineral make-up goes, i've only tried Bare Escentuals. I think i could get into the whole mmu thing - i like the skin-like finish and good coverage it provides, especially with the wet application i learnt about here ...

The only negative was that in certain lighting, i could see my face covered in sparkles, and that's without my applying any shimmer products! Looking at the powder in the container, i didn't see it at all - it was only when applied to my face.

So my question, really, is just whether all mineral foundations have this sort of shimmer or if it is just BE? If so, which ones did you find to be less shimmery? Are there any tips on application, or certain brushes to use that help minimise the sparkle? I read somewhere about using the MAC 180 instead.

I do want a glow, this just wasn't my idea of it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wear BE everyday pretty much, and I've never noticed it being sparkly. Huh...I wonder why?

Well i noticed that BE doesnt look as blah as other mmu. Idk if i would call it sparkly but its definately not ashy to me.

i apply my foundation after eye makeup, the foundation "melts" away any sparkles or specks that land on my cheeks

you can also dust some loose powder under your eyes before shadow, then brush it off after your done

also tap your brush a few times so the brush isnt over loaded with shadow

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think mica adds the shimmer you're seeing. I recently tried Lure minerals, which went on nicely, but since it contains mica (which I didn't know before ordering), I got that same look I got with BE.

Face Value, Lumiere, and a couple of others I've tried provide more of a matte finish, if that's your desired look (it is mine). :)

i think something is getting on your brush. i used to think alot of my powders we're sparkly but then i realized it was the brush that was reallllly clean

No it has nothing to do with eyeshadow getting on your face. I understand what she means and i noticed that too. I think Petitemama might be right about the mica.

I always use apply my make-up with a clean brush, and never dip one into multiple products. The shimmer is definately coming from the foundation.

Oh, thanks! I did read somewhere about there being a specific ingredient that gave that look, but couldn't recall what it was. I'll try some brands that don't have mica listed :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi

Bismuth mkes the BE foundation shinier than the rest. Not all micas are sparkly. Most mica listed in foundations especially if it is the first or up in the top ingredients is secirite, which is white and usually flat, but they are some with some glow to them not sparkle. Mica is the correct labeling name for secirite. But BE shadows and blushes I find are waaay sparklier than the rest

Most foundtions I have tried are matte, Fusion of Color, Lumiere, Meow

T

Both of Aromaleigh's foundations have a matte finish -- they make a separate sparkly finishing powder if you want some shimmer.

Everyday Minerals also makes a matte foundation (though it turned orange on my oily skin).

I was going to say that bismuth is the culprit. Most MMU doesnt have this in it.

Back