Small companies surviving?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sometimes worry "what if EDM or OM (my 2 fave companies) goes broke & closes shop?"

They seem like small companies to me & their makeup is so affordable & lasts so long that I sometimes worry. Does anyone else worry about this? I am very new to MMU, have any other companies that someone loved already gone under? I wonder how many customers these companies get? I had no clue any of them existed until I came onto this forum, I wonder how many other people have no clue they exist?

I haven't been here long, but the only company I remember closing was because the owner wanted to pursue something else. I think EDM and Oceanmist seem very popular and doesn't look like they will have any problems anytime soon. Don't worry!
smile.gif

Hiya,

Aww, I would say not to worry...most if not all companies must start out small. I believe if their products and customer service are good, people will keep coming back...and use more and more word of mouth advertising. Thus, most will thrive and continue to grow...hope that helps u somewhat ;p

Laura

Forgot to add...the reason they're so much more affordable is because they don't have to pay for advertising and stuff...such as Bare Escentuals for example.

Originally Posted by aplsmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif I haven't been here long, but the only company I remember closing was because the owner wanted to pursue something else. Yup, that company was Twisted Fayte (my fave mmu brand).

I worry about them closing up shop because they are worried about raising prices when they are getting slammed by suppliers and shipping costs. I am willing to pay more for these smaller companies which in my opinion offer better MMU than the big ones that cost so much more.

I feel like a way to promote them is to not complain about every little issue like how fast shipping was or price increases because they are trying to do the best they can and making darn good stuff for us addicts. I sometimes find that we are overly harsh with these issues with the small companies- I think it's because they are small and we want immediate gratification but wouldn't expect immediate attention from big companies. I try to remember that these are usually women like us that are trying to keep lots of MMU addicts happy- I have enough trouble trying to keep my kids and hubby happy. Can you imagine having to deal with the addicts that need their fix now?
add_wegbrech.gif
I applaud them all.

Hoozey

Hi!!!

Well this is the first post I have seem that had some actual common sense behind it, thank you!!! I am sure most of the small companies worry about raising prices and why should they absorb all of the cost increases that are coming at them, so one customer doesn't get ticked off and start talking bad about them.

Thank you so much for this post., I really enjoyed reading it

That is why I am happy to have 2 HGs right now. Its good to keep sampling in case that does happen,I agree with Hoozey though too.

Originally Posted by TDZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif HoozeyHi!!!

Well this is the first post I have seem that had some actual common sense behind it, thank you!!! I am sure most of the small companies worry about raising prices and why should they absorb all of the cost increases that are coming at them, so one customer doesn't get ticked off and start talking bad about them.

Thank you so much for this post., I really enjoyed reading it

Glad that others agree with me. I so love these other companies that I'd hate to see them get wiped out because of costs not being passed on. My hubby is in manufacturing so he is always griping about margins and cost of raw materials and shipping. and it just makes me realize how hard these little companies have it to make a living and make us all happy.

Originally Posted by Hoozey /img/forum/go_quote.gif Glad that others agree with me. I so love these other companies that I'd hate to see them get wiped out because of costs not being passed on. My hubby is in manufacturing so he is always griping about margins and cost of raw materials and shipping. and it just makes me realize how hard these little companies have it to make a living and make us all happy. i totally agree with you Hoozie!
the prices of all the small companies are great. they must mix , sort, post and pack individual orders without machinery or equipment and struggle to put together all the tiny bags of powder- what a nightmare it must be for them. i sincerely hope that they make enough profit to keep going for all our sakes.

i agreed with everything you wrote..
vogel.gif

Samples are a loss-leader, as well. I'm really happy they exist, cos I've gone to department stores and looked at the size (and price!) on some products, and been really put off from buying them - $50 for something I may use once and hate is a bit more than the budget can bear.

But if you like a MMU company, try to buy at least a couple full size things if you've got a lot of samples from them (think how much further that $50 will go with MMU than with the shop stuff). Even if you decide you're not wild about the company, they may have some skincare, brushes, etc., that you can use. That helps, too.

I want to say that Im afraid that corycosmetics will closed. beocuse this is my HG.

I dont think that EDM will closed becuse I assume that the have a lot of costumer that like them.. and I think that there's busness is going pretty well!

(thanks god( :)

I think small mmu companies work very hard to put out quality products for the price they do. A lot of them rely entirely on word of mouth advertising to get new customers.

Of course there is a chance that small companies will close but I'll continue to support as many as possible in my never ending quest for new pigments
rotfl.gif

I think we are supporting the small companies by buying form them and posting reviews, so others can try too.

I think that EDM is quite big company, in comparison to others which are here.

Mineral Make up is quite a good business. In fact if you spend 100$ on the bulk ingredients, you can get a lot of product from this worth 10 times more. Of course I prefer to buy ready products, while I do not have enough space to keep all the bulk ingredients, and this is a bit of a problem to do it for one person only, while MMU lasts a long time.

The only thing i'll do on my own is finishing powder and the oil control powder. However I'll continue to buy Dait Bait and the Perfecting Powder from Silk Naturals, cos I love those products.

There are many small companies there and I hope they will survive. I hope Meow, She Space, Silk Naturals and other small companies will be with us long, cos I love their products. I also like Lumiere but I find it as much bigger company.

EDM I don't think you have to worry about. I think it's probably the biggest non-commercialized MMU company out there. OMC I'm not sure, but it seems to have a decent following here.

I'm more concerned about the pigments companies blinking out of existence. Fyrinnae in particular, since they seem to be having so much trouble keeping up with orders. And the She Space, since it used to be TwistedFayte and it had closed before.

Originally Posted by Gavriela /img/forum/go_quote.gif Samples are a loss-leader, as well. I'm really happy they exist, cos I've gone to department stores and looked at the size (and price!) on some products, and been really put off from buying them - $50 for something I may use once and hate is a bit more than the budget can bear.
But if you like a MMU company, try to buy at least a couple full size things if you've got a lot of samples from them (think how much further that $50 will go with MMU than with the shop stuff). Even if you decide you're not wild about the company, they may have some skincare, brushes, etc., that you can use. That helps, too.

I agree with your philosophy Gav. that if you've bought samples (especially several) from a company that you should return to buy full sizes in some quantity if their products were to your liking.

I often wonder about this, too. I'm glad these small companies exist, though. I feel like they put more attention to quality...

We can always help by giving good word-of-mouth advertising, saying positive things about the MMU companies we love, encouraging friends to try them, and buying several of their products.
smile.gif

I agree with everyone on this thread and I have started recommending bee luscious cosmetics because they gave me the most amazing customer service and quality products I have not had not one complaint. Lets check out this company together and keep them in business too!

Originally Posted by lotusindigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif EDM I don't think you have to worry about. I think it's probably the biggest non-commercialized MMU company out there. OMC I'm not sure, but it seems to have a decent following here.
I'm more concerned about the pigments companies blinking out of existence. Fyrinnae in particular, since they seem to be having so much trouble keeping up with orders. And the She Space, since it used to be TwistedFayte and it had closed before.

I agree with the second paragraph especially. Fryinnae is currently running as per site quote

Current processing time is about 35-45 business days for most purchases. Quote Business days counted as Monday through Friday. While I have a ghost cart lined up, I really don't want to pay for order and not see it for two months.  

There is always a concern with a fairly new company (new in MMU world less than 6 months). I do hope Heather is around for a while.

My suggestion is when you know you like something, especially foundation don't hesitate to order full size. Some companies offer full size and a refill for $10.00 more.

Just a point...the major d/s and dept store manufacturers will stop making a skin care or cosmetic item with no warning! These companies KNOW that this item is phased out but don't tell the general public who would like to stock up on the item! (This has happened to me and others!)

Companies such as EDM that are expanding into other items such as skin care will continue to do well IMO. EDM and lots of others MMU companies that are developing new products and keeping in touch with their customers seem to do well in general.

Back