Shipping Rates

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
does anyone else think some of these companies are charging to much for shipping i mean i got a sample baggie (thats all) and they charged me over $ 5 for shipping when there just gonna send it in a envelope i know with the ups charges going up that they have to put it up a little more but over 5 dollers for a sample baggie i think its a little much

Are you aware of the recent USPS raise in charges? About a week ago all rates increased and some of the smaller cheaper envelope/package rates were discontinued. I don't think it's the companies, it's USPS

Also, I think it is because companies can't give everyone a specific shipping rate for each unique order, so it is easier for them to assume that you will order more than one sample and just offer one standard shipping rate for an order of a certain dollar amount. I think the MMU companies usually suggest that you order more than just one sample. For me, I won't place an order for samples until I want enough products so the cost of the samples is more than shipping.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I ordered from a company that sent the baggies in a regular white envelope that costed no more than 20 cents, and it had one 37 cent stamp on it and I paid like 4 bucks for shipping, i was like wtf? I understand high shipping rates for international, but this raise of the stamp by 4 or 5 cents shouldnt cause companies to get over on consumers. Shipping is not that darn high!

I think some of the shipping charges for samples are outrageous. In the past the shipping fees have made me change my decision to sample from certain sites. Thank goodness there are still a couple of good sites that offer free shipping on samples.

I agree with you two. I think they should offer a cheaper mailing alternative if we order samples only.

Originally Posted by lilpinkbunny44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif does anyone else think some of these companies are charging to much for shipping i mean i got a sample baggie (thats all) and they charged me over $ 5 for shipping when there just gonna send it in a envelope i know with the ups charges going up that they have to put it up a little more but over 5 dollers for a sample baggie i think its a little much Based on the new rate schedule (shape-based) the envelope's postal cost should have been about .92cents. Prior to the increase that same envelope would have cost $1.11. I am estimating the total weight of the envelope would be 4 ounces. That may be high or low on the weight, I'm not sure. The point is, the old rate charged .24cents after the first ounce and now it is .17cents after the first ounce.
The charts of First Class and Priority breaks down all the rates in detail.

Originally Posted by lilpinkbunny44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif does anyone else think some of these companies are charging to much for shipping i mean i got a sample baggie (thats all) and they charged me over $ 5 for shipping when there just gonna send it in a envelope i know with the ups charges going up that they have to put it up a little more but over 5 dollers for a sample baggie i think its a little much I agree....there should be a choice of what you want to spend and what service you want,be it priority or first class

Yes, I'm outraged by some of the shipping charges in general, not MMU companies. I don't think companies should charge more than $1-$2 for handling, after deleting the cost of the postage and packaging materials.

I can give both perspectives on this:

As a consumer, I hate shipping costs! So, I price compare when ordering from companies and include shipping in those comparisons. Like books! Since I read so much, I order $25 or more from Barnes & Noble to take advantage of their free shipping. And I will not order from a company if I feel they are charging way too much (i.e. $5 for a stamped envelope).

As a company owner, packaging orders is very time consuming. Shipping/handling rates might include costs for hiring someone to package orders. $1-2 for handling is reasonable in my opinion. Postage, packing materials, gas for the trip to the PO or pick up fees that UPS, DHL, or Fed Ex may charge is probably included in shipping costs. Some companies do charge exact shipping, but sometimes that can be difficult (especially now with the shape based postage) so I think many prefer to do a flat rate.

I was telling a friend that USPS is going to shape based shipping and would soon be like the other shipping companies because many people prefer to pay bills electronically, email is great, and low or no cost long distance is available in many areas. This is probably cutting a big hunk out of profits for the post office. People will always send packages though. Gas prices don't help either.
frown.gif

I did read an article about how postage rates are still below inflation. The article talked about the forever stamp and how it might not be worth it to hoard them since postage was considered to be "low". Haha! Kind of like gas prices a few years ago when they talked about how gas prices didn't keep up with inflation. Well, they're keeping up now! Can you tell I'm not happy about these prices?
wink.gif
The article about the postage was here.

Originally Posted by momokins /img/forum/go_quote.gif Are you aware of the recent USPS raise in charges? About a week ago all rates increased and some of the smaller cheaper envelope/package rates were discontinued. I don't think it's the companies, it's USPS yes but i think they should have a smaller fee for just smaples the samples alone were like $3 (baggies) and then a $5 for shipping is a little much i mean they didnt raise it that much , i ordered from another company also and it was only 4 shipping and i got alot more

I don't like when companies figure shipping cost based on how much I spend. A larger purchase doesn't necessarily mean that I have ordered a large, heavy item. I do not order online as much as I used to, besides not actually touching an item, shipping costs were way out of line. IMHO. I do not feel that MMU companies have jacked the shipping costs to high levels but I've only ordered from maybe 10 different companies.

I can see the point from both perspectives. I hate high shipping charges too, obviously. DH owns his own business, and when USPS increased their rate, they also changed package size standards. Anything thicker than 1/4" has to go flats (about 17c more than letter), and anything thicker than 3/4" has to go parcel now, even if the package weighs 1 oz. So what used to cost him 66c to ship now costs him close to $1.50 just because the parts are a little over 3/4"!!

They also hiked priority flat rate envelopes and boxes.

So if one major manufacturer raises shipping charges, then their customers have to increase the rate, and it keeps going. With raising gas prices, I can totally understand.

But I still hate paying over a few bucks on shipping!!

ETA: You would need a pretty sophisticated, expensive shopping cart programs to do separate shipping cost for samples only.

I wonder whether private shippers (e.g. UPS, FEDEX, DHL) put the pressure on USPS to get their price more in line with them. Note that this is pure heresay on my part.

Originally Posted by dcole710 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think some of the shipping charges for samples are outrageous. In the past the shipping fees have made me change my decision to sample from certain sites. Thank goodness there are still a couple of good sites that offer free shipping on samples. Oh, do tell! Which companies off this?

Most companies seem to charge for shipping based on how much you spend rather than weight. I know there are a few companies that have seperate shipping rates for samples but you can't order anything else but samples.

I'd also like to know these companies that offer free or reduced shipping for samples.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Noor_KSA /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd also like to know these companies that offer free or reduced shipping for samples.
smile.gif
Aromaleigh has free shipping if you only order samples.

Originally Posted by Noor_KSA /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd also like to know these companies that offer free or reduced shipping for samples.
smile.gif
Lumiere for one. The cost of its products include shipping (e.g. $1.25 baggie / $2.25 jar sample per foundation as well as blush).

Back