Is there ONE perfect match?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK I am getting a little frustrated because every MMU I tried has worked just fine. Maybe I am not doing something right - but 2 shades of EDM work just fine for me, 2-3 shades of Lumiere work good, 1 Oceanmist works fine, about 2 Monave work fine... Today I even realized while I was looking at my Lumiere sample baggies I had been using a foundation as a mineral veil & a mineral veil as a foundation & it STILL worked fine!

I can notice differences in levels of coverage, but it seems like many different shades of the lightest tones work just fine.

Maybe its because my skin tone is quite rosy & when I put on any light tone it automatically kind of neutralizes it, covering the redness - & if I blend well into my jawline/nect it can look just fine?

I have even asked my mom or cousin multiple times if the foundation I am wearing looks OK & they have said it looks fine or just as good as the last one or "even better". I read about people having to try dozens of things before finding something - why is it like everything I try works? Is that normal?
kopfkratz.gif

In a sense, maybe they do work. When we use traditional cosmetics, there are probably only COOL and WARM tones in maybe 3-5 different depths, and they kinda work, even if they do not match your neck exactly. Most likely, people will expect our necks to be a different shade from our faces.

lol well be happy everything is working for you
smile.gif
my first mineral make up is on it's way now and I hope to have the same results as you!

Almost every company I sampled I found a shade match. The only downfall was having to use 2 to 3 layers for coverage. I just couldn't get that one layer coverage with every company. I guess being a neutral made it easier to match my skintone.

I know how you feel. Matching with multiple companies makes it hard to decide on one HG. I went with the two MMUs that offered me complete coverage with one layer. I HAD
ooops.gif
to pick both because there was no way I could have eliminated one of them.
rotfl.gif
I have full sizes of each now!

same here, almost all the light shades from different mmu companies work just as fine on me except the ones for the warm tone. hehe

i was the same way but the formulas are definately different to decide which is better, lumiere is my hg and even though i have color matches in almost every company, i like it best because it feels good and has better coverage and looks just a little bit better than the others.

Sounds like a good problem to have!
wink.gif

I know, however, that it's frustrating just to have so many shades which "work" when you want the one (or in my case, two) which fit JUST right. But hey, if you like them, and they work - stick with 'em!

Originally Posted by entipy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sounds like a good problem to have!
wink.gif
I know, however, that it's frustrating just to have so many shades which "work" when you want the one (or in my case, two) which fit JUST right. But hey, if you like them, and they work - stick with 'em!

I agree

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif Almost every company I sampled I found a shade match. The only downfall was having to use 2 to 3 layers for coverage. I just couldn't get that one layer coverage with every company. I guess being a neutral made it easier to match my skintone.
Yup, I have to usually use 2 generous layers - I can deff notice coverage levels & how they differ brand to brand.

Originally Posted by rizzie_x3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif same here, almost all the light shades from different mmu companies work just as fine on me except the ones for the warm tone. hehe
Altho I've never tried warm tones I'm almost positively sure they wouldn't work for me. All I have ever tried are cool tones.

Maybe that makes a difference - - hmm, maybe it makes a difference if your skin is really fair, it seems even if I go a shade darker as long as I blend well it just looks like I'm a little tanner. If I go way too light I can use blush or bronzer & it can look fine too.

I know it's a good problem to have, lol - it just makes me feel like I'm not doing something right. But I feel for u guys that have to order sample sets after sample sets from tons of companies..
smile.gif

I thought it was just me with this problem!

For example: I can wear Meow in Frisky Mau or Korat, Jlynne in 1.8 & 1.9, Lauress in Soft/Radiant/Pure Gold, Lumiere Light Golden/Med Beige 2.3 - but they all look completely different in their jars but on my face, they all look fine.

So maybe it isn't a bad thing.
smile.gif

I am the exact same way, every mineral sample I have ever tried looks perfect. It's so hard to pick a HG when you have this kind of a "problem"!

I had that problem too, but I realised that from day to day, I forget how the others look like so they all look suitable. Then I started taking photographs after I put on the samples. I take them 15 minutes after application, by the window and without flashes. On my computer screen, I realised they look quite different after all! So even though all of the seem to match, I can compare them side by side and choose one that I like the most. Try that!

I also have the same problem. I have it in my head that I want 'the best' out of all the ones I sample, but day after day, every sample I try I can pretty much get away with. It's quite frustrating.

Especially if I'm going to commit to a full size. I don't want to settle. I want IT. The HG.

Maybe also see if there is a particular formula you like? Are you just looking for colour matches? What about coverage and feel?

I try and do a wish list.

1. It has to match (of course)

2. It doesn't feel tight after a few hours

3. It doesn't change colour on me

4. It looks great in flash photography (I've had a few turn me white)

5. It makes my skin 'pop' - which is harder to tell. I need other people to tell me that one.

I agree with the photographs. I take photos near the window, although I really should get them in full sun. And most days I can tell slight differences.

Don't forget though, as the seasons change your skin can change colour too. ARGH. So don't throw anything away! Who knows when they'll become a match? LOL

Another thing - application matters when it comes to HG. Milan looks terrible on me via a kabuki. But I've seen girls wear it with a fluffy powder brush and it looks perfect. I haven't done extensive 'research' on it yet, but I've tried to branch out a little with the flocked sponge, flat top, etc etc.

Good luck with the search. It's definately exhausting. Some days I just want to throw the towel in. If they all look good, I mean... who cares? LOL. My credit card would love it if I would. But somehow, the addict in me eventually comes out and stomps its foot down. Perfect HG it cries! =/ *suffering sigh*

That has happened to me too. What I do is just mix those 2 shades (per brand) of samples that work well so I make a bigger jar of foundation.

Originally Posted by amethystangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif For example: I can wear Meow in Frisky Mau or Korat. Ooops - I meant Meow instead of Monave. 2 shades EDM, 1 Oceanmist, about 2 Lumiere, & 2 Meow. I swear I have so many samples that I have transferred from baggie to jar or whatever I dont even prob know what I am using anymore..
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by geminisc /img/forum/go_quote.gif Especially if I'm going to commit to a full size. I don't want to settle. I want IT. The HG. Maybe also see if there is a particular formula you like? Are you just looking for colour matches? What about coverage and feel?

I try and do a wish list.

1. It has to match (of course)

2. It doesn't feel tight after a few hours

3. It doesn't change colour on me

4. It looks great in flash photography (I've had a few turn me white)

5. It makes my skin 'pop' - which is harder to tell. I need other people to tell me that one.

Good luck with the search. It's definately exhausting. Some days I just want to throw the towel in. If they all look good, I mean... who cares? LOL. My credit card would love it if I would. But somehow, the addict in me eventually comes out and stomps its foot down. Perfect HG it cries! =/ *suffering sigh*

I got full size EDM's a while ago because altho colors of various brands looked fine on me the one thing that sold me was the coverage of EDM's Intensive. I could put on Lumiere fair or whatever & it looked fine but I wanted a layer of EDM Intensive on top of it & once I did that I thought it looked much better. Even tho I got full sizes I'm not going to stop sampling & searching- I want one that makes me think all the others have just "worked" but my HG doesn't even compare.

As for my credit card ~ I totally try to justify it because I have Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards Card & I am like 1000 points away from being able to get a $100 gift card. And besides Macys & Bath/Body Works who is listed but SEPHORA?!?!

Hahaha..........
laughing.gif

Back