Making your own Mascara?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, I did do a search for mascara and I went over a LOT of posts and didn't see anything.

So..Does anyone make their own? I saw a lot of threads on all the different brands but I would like to try my hand at making it. Any Suggestions?
kopfkratz.gif

Thanks,

Heidi

That would be really kewl as throwing them away every 3 months becomes costly esp if you have like me a few on the go at once

Originally Posted by hhalliburton /img/forum/go_quote.gif First off, I did do a search for mascara and I went over a LOT of posts and didn't see anything.
So..Does anyone make their own? I saw a lot of threads on all the different brands but I would like to try my hand at making it. Any Suggestions?
kopfkratz.gif

Thanks,

Heidi

Heidi,

Check out this link
smile.gif
Create Your Own Cosmetics, Toiletries, Personal Care Products

I don't think there's a lot of topics because making mascara is quite more complex than other kinds of makeup

Never heard of someone making your own mascara though... Love to try it too but it would have to be really really safe because its so close to your eyes
frown.gif

I actually found that site. But I'm not really sure about all of the ingredients. They are;

This is the only thing I have found;

Phase A For 100g

Distilled Water 68.4 g / 2.4 oz

Xanthan Gum 0.2 g / 1/8 tsp

Provitamin B5 0.5 g / 12 drops

Sorbitol or Glycerin 2 g / 1 tsp

Gum Arabic 2 g / 1 tsp

Phase B

Stearic Acid 5 g / 0.2 oz

Candelilla Wax 1.5 g / 3/4 tsp

Ceteareth-20 1.7 g / 3/4 tsp

Bees Wax 4.5 g / 0.2 oz

Carnauba Wax 2.7 g / 0.1 oz

Phase C

Iron Oxide Black 10 g / 0.35 oz

Dimethicone 0.5 g / 1/4 tsp

Phase D

Paraben-DU 1 g / 22 drops

Yeah, I'm not so keen on all those complex chemical ingredients. I'm sure there must be a recipe with more "natural" ingredients. I'll keep searching
smile.gif

The problem with making mascara is that it's usually a cream so it will need preservatives in to prevent bacterial growth.

I shouldnt be easy to make... especially something that is safe for the eye area...

Hi

I make most of my own cosmetics, and skin care stuff, but mascara is where I draw the line. It's not the ingredients or the techniques involved- it's the fear of making an un-godly mess.

In order to make a mascara you have to make an emulsion of oil and water- it's pretty easy to do if you have a stick blender- but when you're done imagine the bowl, the blender, and your hands completey covered in mascara- and then having to clean it off sharp blender blades.

I would gladly pay someone $10 for a tube of mascara in order to avoid that mess.

I'd rather stick to lip gloss.

Good luck!

I'm an African-American female and I actually don't use mascara. I use castor oil. I have a bottle of castor oil and an old mascara wand that I dip into the bottle every morning. Then, use an eyelash curler. It provides shine and, for those looking for longer lashes, it actually helps the hair grow.

Look it up.

But it depends on what you're looking for out of your mascara. I only want some sheen on my lashes to bring attention to my eyes. You may want something different.

:eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i didn't even know you could do that!

but i could probably imagine it's probably harder than most other types of like, "visible applied" types of makeup? i.e. eyeliner, etc.

interesting. i'd like to try it, but i'm afraid i'd do something stupid and give myself eye problems.

i hear some use black mineral eye shadow and aloe vera mixed in a paste

i'd never try it myself...seems so risky to mess around with the eye area

Some of the girls on here press their own eyeshadow pigments out of loose minerals. Maybe it would be possible to make a cake mascara using this technique that could be moistened with a pigment sealant or water then applied with a spoolie brush. The advantage of this is that it would bypass the need to use chemical preservatives and would reduce mess.

I think I'm happy paying someone else to do it after reading these comments.. it sounds like hard work and alot of mess, LOL. It's interesting, I had no idea how to make it before, it's fun to know facts like that!

Back