Greasy brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed when I first washed my kabuki (lumiere synthetic) that when it dried it was extremely 'greasy' looking and feeling..like real hair looks when it's greasy! I figured I didn't wash it out well enough. Well now it happened to my concealer brush (also lumiere synthetic) and I just had to wash that again!! What do you think im doing wrong? Im pretty sure I wash it thoroughly, maybe it's my cleanser im using? It's just an organic one (tangerine dream by rachel perry) made for the face, because I havent boughten anything else yet. What SHOULD I be using? Will it even matter? Will it get rid of the greasy affect? Does anybody else have this problem? Is it because they're synthetic? Am I going crazy? Will I ever stop asking questions? LOL.

I also notice it acts like greasy hair, whenever you touch it it basically bends to how you touched it, does not 'bounce back' like a clean brush.

I use antibacterial hand wash to clean my synthetics. I use a little dab. I lather my hands and wash the brushes under running water.

I think the organic face wash may have something in it that the synthetic is absorbing. It sounds like some kind of wax. I would get some hand soap and rewash them right away. That substance could impede the "grab" of the brush permanently.

I use my Kids Baby Wash and give them a good lather and It rinses out excellent. Must be the type of soap you're using. I'd suggest a different type of soap
smile.gif

It probably is the cleanser, I would notice that some of my soaps, especially the creamier ones would not clean my brushes as well as a plain, unscented soap. The best one I had found was a basic, homemade lard soap with no additives. The Rachel Perry cleanser has lots of additives, including alpha hydroxy acids. Currently, I am using Purity from Philosophy, when it runs out I will try unscented Dr. Bronner's liquid soap.

It could be the cleanser. I'd try using something else to see if that makes a difference.

I use baby shampoo. Sounds like your cleanser has something in it that's leaving your brushes that way. Switching will probably make all the difference.

I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. Ive never had greasy brushes & I have the lumiere synthetic long handled buki.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use antibacterial hand wash to clean my synthetics. I use a little dab. I lather my hands and wash the brushes under running water.
I think the organic face wash may have something in it that the synthetic is absorbing. It sounds like some kind of wax. I would get some hand soap and rewash them right away. That substance could impede the "grab" of the brush permanently.

iagree.gif

Mindy,

Agree that you should use a different kind of soap but also, the synthetic brushes take a lot longer to dry and that may be part of the "greasy" look. It takes about two days for my Lumiere brushes to dry. So I never wash my face ones on the same day. LOL

I use baby shampoo, or just whatever shampoo I have around. Sometimes even handsoap. My brushes have never come out 'greasy' like you describe though, so I'm betting it's the cleanser you're using to wash them. Hope you find something that works!
smile.gif

Hi Mindy!

I agree with the other ladies about changing your brush cleaner. I think the Rachel Perry Tangerine Dream Facial Cleanser may be too gentle and is not removing all the makeup and oil that your brush picks up. I use shampoo and it works very well for both my synthetic and natural hair brushes. Try washing your brushes with your shampoo and see if it gets them clean. HTH and good luck!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Hoozey /img/forum/go_quote.gif Mindy, Agree that you should use a different kind of soap but also, the synthetic brushes take a lot longer to dry and that may be part of the "greasy" look. It takes about two days for my Lumiere brushes to dry. So I never wash my face ones on the same day. LOL

Hey, is that chu, Dayna? Those eyes sure are pretty! Love your new profile pic and background too!
rockwoot.gif

When I washed my brushes once with BBW moisturizing soap they also had a greasy feel so I rewashed them with shampoo and they're okay now.

that has only happend to me when i cleaned my brushes with isopropal murate instead of alcohol. use normal brush cleaner and that should take care of it

thanks for all the advice! ill definately either use handsoap or shampoo next time.

funny thing is i washed all my brushes together, my mac ones..which are natural hair, and those came out fine..it's just the synthetic.

Originally Posted by sat-chit-ananda /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Mindy!

Hey, is that chu, Dayna? Those eyes sure are pretty! Love your new profile pic and background too!
rockwoot.gif

Yep- I only use my own.
laughing.gif
Profile pic is taken in "the spot" according to you. Got a big "X" of duct tape marking it.
moa.gif

a spot?? where is that haha thats funny..must have took you a while to find a SPOT

Originally Posted by MindySue /img/forum/go_quote.gif a spot?? where is that haha thats funny..must have took you a while to find a SPOT On my blog, SCA liked this one day of photos and said I needed to mark that spot with an X and always take photos there. You know how it is Mindy, you got to find the right spot to take the photos and the right pose. I actually found this little secret out- when I take a photo near my bedroom window with the window behind me and the flash on, it takes better photos... less harsh shadows. Of course you don't need these tips because you already got your spot and your perfect pose down... that little pout on your lips... you know we all love it!
11a.gif

Originally Posted by Hoozey /img/forum/go_quote.gif On my blog, SCA liked this one day of photos and said I needed to mark that spot with an X and always take photos there. You know how it is Mindy, you got to find the right spot to take the photos and the right pose. I actually found this little secret out- when I take a photo near my bedroom window with the window behind me and the flash on, it takes better photos... less harsh shadows. Of course you don't need these tips because you already got your spot and your perfect pose down... that little pout on your lips... you know we all love it!
11a.gif
Dayna,
The light from that window just illuminates your face so perfectly, it truly gives you that "heavenly" glow.
6.gif

Mindy,

I hope you solved the "greasy" brush problem.

And don't forget to smile, even when you're feeling down, OK?
1f.gif
hugss.gif

Back