Testing the Men's Holiday High End Skincare Sets

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went with my best friend, Tim, to check out all the skincare sets for men. We spent a good 3 hours checking out as many as possible.

Here's our results:

FAVORITE:

the Jack Black Jet Set Traveler Set- $32

P197801_hero.jpg

This is the "Every Man" skincare line, and the Jet Set are the essentials. It has a look that feels like Grandpa could have used it back in the day, but the ingredients are definitely today. EVERYTHING was usable and top quality, but the standout product is definitely the Face Buff and Supreme Cream. They had another set, but as Tim said, "all the other stuff is just crap to get lost in a drawer."

This is value / aesthetics / quality.

Tim left with this, plus a sample of their eye treatment (I told Tim he's looking tired around the eyes). he also bought one as a gift for my husband as well. My husband and my best friend are dating behind my back, hehehe. Tim hates when I say that.

MADE FOR THE YOUNG METRO CLUB GUY:

Anthony Logistics For Men The Perfect Shave Kit- $50

P20343_hero.jpg

I find this funny, since I buy my husband this brand (I am switching though to the Jack Black). Down to the Mesh bag, this sort of screams "I club and wan to impress the girls (or guys)"... The winning product is definitely the Glycolic Cleanser. But we thought the Pre-Shave Oil was really lame... I mean, what man really does that? Plus it smelled weird.

IF YOUR MAN IS INTO GERMAN AUTOMOTIVES...

Zirh Starter Kit- $59

P5890_hero.jpg

I bought the scrub from this line for Tim last year for his birthday... it was good... he liked the packaging the most... but he used to have an Audi TT and now owns a Porshe Cayenne, so he really just liked the packaging. He thinks the Jack Black Buff is better. This package does not have the scrub though. This is for the SERIOUS hardcore dirty greasy guy, because we thought the cleanser and the shave gel left the skin REALLY dry and the Protect didnt seem moisturizing enough. The Correct was the best product, but left a slight film on the skin.

DEFINITELY SOMETHING UP WITH THAT SMELL

Origins One of the Guys Set- $34.50

org_0CXGX7_gift_lrg.jpg

"is this line for hippies and stuff?" that's the only thing Tim had to say about this. and he thought it smelled medicinal. Oh- he hates how the Moisturizer is called "Save the Male", he says a woman made this. A couple of husbands and boyfriends standing around agreed.

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY- THIS STUFF IS FOR CHICKS

The Entire Clarins Men Line (no package sets)

We tested a few products, and Tim hated everything about it. He thought the packaging had no thought, looked very drugstore in his eyes, products overpriced, and felt like they "chick" products in disguise. No interest at all.

NO HOLIDAY SETS BUT THESE PRODUCTS ROCK

Tim (and surprisingly, my father-in-law) say that these are the tried and true men's products... and when al the other fads dissappear or become hard to find- you can always count on Clinique Skin Supplies for Men.

Face Soap- $10.50

P122714_hero.jpg

Men Like Bars. And this bar is non-drying and surprisingly gentle to the skin, but if you are a greasy kind of guy, they have an extra strength bar. Tim says "it smells clean".

Face Scrub- $15.50

P122665_hero.jpg

"Like Sand mixed with lotion mixed with cleanser". It's the extra fine grain that is the super selling point. Tim says this is his staple, and says my husband used to ask to use it all the time. He says the only thing so far comparable is the Jack Black, but since we only put this stuff on our hands, he won't really know until he's given it a couple days.

Until then- this is the Man Scrub to beat.

very nice list! thanks for the rec brewgrl. tell us more about the jack black face buff and supreme creme. i'm thinking my hubby could use both. i take it that the face buff is a scrub and the supreme creme is a moisturizer?

The Face Buff is a scrub... a VERY fine grain with menthol, two things that men love seeing they do not have the patience for chemical exfoliation like alpha hydroxies and salicylics. men like to FEEL the dead skin come off.. same with the tingle of menthol.

the Supreme Cream is actually a shave cream. it lathers really well, and has the extra benefit of being pumped up by some serious fatty emollients such as macadamia oil and glycerin to do some serious razor burn prevention. At $22 for a full size, this isn't your everyday shave gel, but more for important events, like going out to dinner, or a party.

Cool, thanks Jen. This thread got me to thinking, my bf really has NO skincare regime. He shaves with gillette, and moisturizes with whatever I am using.. be it olay, mario badescu, whatever. If he can't find any of that it's plain baby lotion. Thanks for the recs. He definitely needs something more.

Thanks alot for these reviews, Jenuary. I'm surprised Jack Black came out on top, only because he is such a goof! LOL!! It IS the same Jack Black, right?

Actually this line was started by TWO WOMEN from Texas! both who used to work in the marketing department for Mary Kay.

My husband loves the Jack Black stuff. I bought a few extras for Christmas. By far the best he has tried.

Back