The mineral makeup myth

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, mineral makeup actually has been around for years. People are now discovering its wonderful qualities. I prefer it to liquid for sure and for obvious reasons. First off minerals will stay all day. Liquid doesn't. I have a friend who just recently tried minerals and was amazed that she spent the day crying and thought she must look horrible and went to the mirror and to her suprise the makeup was still in place! She says that her husband loves her new minerals because she wears makeup to work and he loves when she wears makeup. Before minerals she never wore makeup to work because it just smeared and ran when she got sweaty. But not a problem any more.

hmm...I'd like to read that but need 7 more posts to do so!
bawling.gif

Minerals have been worn since Cleopatra. Many mainstream companies are jumping on the band wagon because women have become aware of the chemical dangers.

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Minerals have been worn since Cleopatra. Many mainstream companies are jumping on the band wagon because women have become aware of the chemical dangers. Yes, but the point of this article isn't just that minerals are nothing new, it's also that mineral makeup is made of exactly the same thing as regular makeup, just marketed differently. Similar, I suppose, to how one mascara is marketed as lengthening and one as curling, but they both contain basically exactly the same things. They're just trying to sell them to different customers!

I wonder if the 'marketing' behind the article is to get women to go back to liquid foundation?

3 more posts to go!

She does have a point that its nothing new but saying that the powder that you have already will just work like a mineral powder is BS! It doesnt cover the same cos its got fillers and its not meant for coverage but to reduce shine or set liquid foundations. I also find it a lacking article that she didnt mention why women thought it was benefiting their skin because all the ingredients in liquid that can be clogging or irritating have been eliminated.

Not saying minerals wont irritate someone but its a smaller list of ingredients to react to. Also yes, minerals are nothing new but they have been available for women to try only recently. Its dandy that Cleopatra used it thousands of years ago but I dont see it out there for me to find til the last few years.

Apparently, one of the original mineral makeups is Indian Earth but I have never seen it been sold and I live in a major city. Its a matter of availability and yes marketing.

It seems to me this article is lopsided and missing some info.

You are quite correct in that mineral makeup is made from some of the same ingredients. However if you look on the lists for the liquid makeup you will see some pretty nasty ingredients that are not in mineral makeup. I know because I make minerals. I wanted to get away from the chemical icky stuff and the oils and preservatives, parabens, and all of this sort of mumbo jumbo. You see mineral makeup is actually a much cleaner makeup with very few ingredients like serecite, micas, iron oxide, boron nitride is also a mineral and even talc. Rose talc and french talc are actually natural miinerals. Some folks are opposed to talcs and I myself don't use it on a regular basis just because I use other ingredients. I do like talc though. It is so silky. I hope I don't get into trouble with the moderators for this reply. I just wanted to pass along my knowlege of minerals and since I do make my own personal stuff I deffinitely know what is in it and what is not in it. In my opinion minerals are the better choice. But each will have to decide for themselves.
smile.gif

That's the thing Kim, I'm certain there are good mineral products out there (as you know because you make one) as well as 'lesser quality' minerals that perhaps this article is referring too...so it can be easy for these company's to sway the general public into which ones they 'should' be using.

That's why it's up to us...the consumer...to stay smart and informed about what is in our products and to choose wisely
smile.gif

but talc is in most MMUs, too. and you will find a whole lot of fillers and bad stuff when you look at what most of the MMUs that are out there. There are only a few companies who offer almost pure MMU

^ Exactly. And as the article points out, most MMU's contain silica which is PART of talc. And plenty of liquid foundations are quite pure and good for your skin and not marketed as mineral makeup, although these days they almost have to be or people won't believe it could be good for your skin. It's just marketing trends, in essence.

I never knew that silica is part of talc. Go figure. I use EDM, though... and it doesn't contain talc (or silica) in its ingredients. But I know other companies use it. I would challenge the idea that there are "plenty of liquid foundations" that are as pure as mineral makeup. Could you name any, just out of curiosity?

Well, this is obviously written by a woman who loves her liquid foundation. There's really nothing wrong with that I think but for those of us, like me, who can't wear liquid foundation (or other mainstream powder foundation) MMU is like a godsend! I love MMU because it doesn't break me out! I like that it's 'natural' and all that jazz but that isn't why I buy MMU. I do tend to believe that MMU is a bit of a healthier option but of course it isn't perfect. When liquid foundation no longer makes me break out like crazy I will then believe that it is as good for you as mineral makeup :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i agree. i guess in the end it's just a matter of formula, each one of us knows what works best for her own skin.

I've always known mmu is nothing "new", it's just being marketed more. I don't like liquid foundation and I love my mmu.

Sure, the marketing for MMU is off the charts right now. That (like minerals in make-up, I guess) is nothing new for products. Companies gotsta make monies, right?

What I dislike about this particular blog entry referring to an article is the fact that, sure, ALL make-ups have these base ingredients, however, most mineral lines now DISPERSE with all the added ingredients which make the majority of liquid foundations bad for people with skin problems. The basic makeup of make-ups (snicker, tee hee) is the same, but minerals lack the nasties.

putting the 'better for your skin' thing aside for a minute....mmu just LOOKS better, imo. After trying a batch for the first time and running out, I reached for my old foundation that day and I just looked like I was wearing a MASK compared to the mmu.

For that reason alone I'll never go back to liquid.
eusa_snooty.gif

Back