Do You Really Need a Makeup Primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Toners. Serums. Topical wrinkle fillers. Of the countless beauty products on the market, which ones will actually work their magic on you?

Do You Really Need Makeup Primer?

What It’s Meant to Do: A primer is designed to temporarily smooth skin on the lips, the eyelids, or the face with silicones and polymers. “Most contain waxes that bond with cosmetics to give them longevity,†says Jim Hammer, a cosmetics chemist at Pharmasol Labs, in Easton, Massachusetts.

So Who Needs It? “Someone with fine lines around her mouth can benefit from a lip primer, since it keeps lip color from feathering,†says Jeannette Graf, an assistant professor of dermatology at New York University Medical Center, in New York City. Women who have trouble with shadow that creases might consider an eye-makeup base. Makeup primers are ideal for those with sunken scars, since they level the skin.

Who Can Skip It: People who are prone to allergies, contact dermatitis, or milia (tiny cysts that form under the eyes). And a primer won’t do much for those with even, velvety complexions.

source

I always use a lip and eye primer, but I don't usually use a primer on the rest of my face.

Personally, I can tell a huge difference when I don't use a primer. My makeup goes on better and looks fresh all day.

I wish my skin was good enough to skip primers, LOL!

Thanks for posting Marisol!

Thanks for posting!! I wish I didn't need primer
smile.gif
But as someone else said, even just applying primer makes my skin look sooo much better!

I just started using a primer... I think my makeup lasted longer but so far I didn't see much of a difference. I am going to keep trying though because I want it to work! LOL!

thanks for the post!

I use a face primer because I have somewhat oily skin and it helps my makeup last longer and one for my eyes to make my eyeshadow not crease.

I don't use primer, because I don't feel like I need to. I don't see the point, I think it's an extra unnecessary step.

I think it isn't worth it either. Just one more expensive product that doesn't seem to do much.

hmm, i might try using a primer since i have deep set eyes and my shadows tend to crease or smudge.

Back