How-To: A Driver's License Photo That Doesn't Stink

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
license.gif

Unlike the women on Top Model, you don't get dozens of chances to take the perfect shot. You get one—two, if you're lucky. On top of that, you're likely to be photographed under DMV-standard fluorescent lights, which have the unfortunate effect of zombie-fying just about anybody who enters their cold glare.
But fear not: There are a few pointers for taking good photos. For my list of dos and don'ts, just read more
DO:
  • Wear foundation or a tinted moisturizer. That'll help diffuse the light more evenly, and blemishes won't pop out.
  • Wear blush on your cheeks. I can't stress this one enough. Without a little color in your cheeks, that fluorescent light will make your skin look sallow.
  • Apply neutral eye shadow and mascara to make your eyes stand out. A little black eyeliner on the inner lash line of your top lid will help define them without looking too Amy Winehouse.
  • Wear a flattering, natural lip color. I recommend wearing a rosy pink lipstick with a dab of gloss on the middle of your bottom lip.
  • Groom your brows. It takes five seconds, but you'll be glad you did.
  • Wear your hair in a way that keeps it off of your face. Better to prepare with a style you like than to have an overworked DMV worker insist that you pull your hair back with a rubber band.
DON'T:
  • Go in bare-faced. Seriously, even if you're a sunscreen-and-Chapstick girl, you'll be glad if you use a dab of blush and lipstick just this once.
  • Go overboard with the makeup. Natural is best.
  • Wear a bold lip color like red, unless that's your signature color.
  • Forget to give a little smile. The hint of one—whether on your lips or in your eyes—can keep b***hface at bay.
  • Wear a shirt whose color is close to your skin tone. It'll wash you out.
  • While we're at it, stay away from turtlenecks. (Trust me, I have the horrifying passport photo to prove it.)
  • Change your hairstyle dramatically. If you have naturally curly hair, don't straighten it just for the photo.
  • Freak out too much. It's just a driver license, after all.
Source

this one lady one time at a thrift store i was at was saying how you only get one good d.l. picture in your life. i pretty much agree with it.

thats pretty much what i did for mine (although i used brown liner). the look took me like 1.5 hours to do. i was determined to cover everything up.

honestly its the only and best picture ive gotten for a d.l. ever.

and i like it so much, as stupid as it sounds, im taking my time for finding a new place to live cause i know i'd have to get another one taken and its not gonna look good.

I remember getting mine when I was 17 and it was a long wait on a hot summer at the DMV...I didn't have makeup on, and my d.l. pic looked like I was high or PO'd at someone...lol, not to mention looking 40 when I'm only 24. looks like I need to retake mine :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mine isn't TOO bad, however, the backdrop was white, and I have blonde hair, so my hair "dissapeared" a little.

Those are some good tips though
smile.gif

great tips.... I loved my AZ license but then we moved and I was SO sad but the ark one isnt too bad

Great Tips, Like lisa I don't think the DMT would be too happy with me wearing makeup for my photo lol My current Lic. photo looks really horrible, Ive shown people my licence to friends who have never seen me in boy mode and they are quite shocked lol

Originally Posted by S. Lisa Smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10.gif
Great tips. I didn't do any of them and my license picture makes me look like a man
kopfkratz.gif
We must have had the same photographer?
biggrin.gif

The last time I had my picture taken for a driver's license was when I was 19! 7 years ago! I had a pixie haircut at the time. lol.

The picture didn't turn out too bad, though. My university and intern IDs turned out much worse. lol.

Originally Posted by andrrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for the tips!!! My license is up for renewal this year
smile.gif
Mine, too. I'm dreading the picture.

great tips! even though i could have renewed by mail i went to the dmv and took a new pic. let's just say i feel much better about the new one! lol~

Back