Please help ~ How much should I charge to do prom makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so, i will be using all of my own products & i need to now what is a suitable price or how i would go about figuring it up.

i have 5 faces lined up for me to do their makeup for prom. w00!

You're still in high school yourself, right?

Do you have a portfolio of your work set up? Maybe you could do their makeup for free and just ask that you be able to take pictures of your work to set up a portfolio? And if you do a good job, maybe they might be willing to recommend you to friends for other events!

ditto to what Shaundra said, very good advice

you dont want to be charging unless youre a professonal buuuut because youre using your own products, id ask that they just give a small amount once your done just to cover the makeup cost and see if any are getting their pics professionaly done and see if you can score some of the pics
smile.gif

well i already have a growing portfolio & some are just willing to pay before i even mentioned anything. & these girls dont know what they want so i am having to create something that they like & suits their faces. i have 5 faces to do that night.

Well, if you're using your own product then I don't see why you shouldn't charge them money... just as long as you don't charge them the same amount a professional make up artist with charge. Honestly, just see how much your product cost, and estimate. I wouldn't charge them more than 20 dollars though. And YES, do ask if you can take pictures.

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for 10 or 15 dollars a face PLUS the cost of makeup used per person. Maybe you can charge 10 flat if and only if they let you take pics for a portfolio.

it depends a lot on where you are from...

which based on your profile is no where near me...

but i can tell you how much they charge on long island ( a suburb of nyc for peopel who dont know)

they charge about 75 a face here

i would say your best bet is to call some places around you and see what they charge

Well since you don't really do that for a living, I would say around 20 bucks a face would be pretty fair! Post some pictures when you are done!

Well since I'm not a professional Makeup artist, I usually charge 30 bucks, but if they buy/bring their own foundation I charge 20 bucks, since foundation is more expensive. Out here in Los Angeles, if you were to go to a MAC counter they would charge 50 buck, so I figure since all my makeup is MAC I'd knock off 20 bucks, but since it's 5 girls I'll probably charge 20.

Back