First Apartment

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've started apartment hunting recently, and I've got it narrowed down to 3 places. I requested info from two places I really like, and they both have weight limits of 20lbs for full -grown dogs. The highest weight limit I've seen in this area is 25lbs, even though I've seen people with much bigger dogs at a few apartments. I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi who is about 6 months old and currently weighs 20 lbs. He's the runt of the litter, and these dogs usually don't get over 28 lbs anyway.

So, do you think they'd be willing to compromise? Do most places even ask to see your dog when you move in?

AhHa, I just left a message on your Proifile asking what kind of Corgi you had. Now I know. Rule enforcement varies from complex to complex. I'd be up front. You don't want to be in a postion that you have to choose between your dog and your apartment. If they let you slide, get it in writing. The complex manager that you talk to today may be gone tomorrow. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Those are some excellent tips. I'd be upfront too.

Those limits are really pretty small, corgis are not huge dogs.. best of luck wtih your apartment hunting!

That's a very handsome Corgi you've got there! I'm afraid I know nothing of the rules regarding dogs in aprtments but good luck in finding the right apartment!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by S. Lisa Smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif AhHa, I just left a message on your Proifile asking what kind of Corgi you had. Now I know. Rule enforcement varies from complex to complex. I'd be up front. You don't want to be in a postion that you have to choose between your dog and your apartment. If they let you slide, get it in writing. The complex manager that you talk to today may be gone tomorrow. Always better to be safe than sorry. ITA!

Thanks everyone! I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

I thought that was a really small weight limit, too. It would exclude a lot of dogs that are considered "apartment dogs." Guess I should've gotten a dachshund or chihuahua. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't think they're gonna weigh the dog, the difference between 8 lbs might not even be that obvious.

LOL That's what I was thinking... I'm sure they won't. But then they do ask you for breed information on the application. I don't know if they would, but if they looked it up they'd see that they can get up to 28lbs or more fully grown. I'm paranoid, I guess, but it's like Lisa said... better safe than sorry.

before you say ANYTHING, bring your dog with you, and see how they react, by just his visual stature...

i swear this works as well, dress your dog in a terrible sweater, and be sure you've walked him well, so he's super mellow in the office.

they will ask questions like what's his name, how old, and what not. have your dog win them over first. and the weight issue will probably never come up. if it does, you would have dealt with a mess sooner or later, and that's no fun.

They usually ask for a photo of the pet. When I had an apartment in my college days i had a persian cat adn they kept a picture of him on file in the office. But your dog doesnt look that big ni the photo I think you could get away with it jsut bring a photo of him with you.

Our dog was always slightly over the weight limit, but it didn't matter to our apartments. I think they cared more if it was an aggressive breed and our Meatball definitely isn't. They probably won't care about the extra 8 pounds. Oh, and your dog is ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS! :)

Back