I think I need to quit my job :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to vent girls, this could be a long one
frown.gif

So, I've been working in this day spa for a little under a year now, I have the most wonderful work mates, and the most gorgeous clients, but I have the nastiest, dodgiest boss ever.

I know in the real world, there are nasty bosses/co-workers, and you won't always have a perfect work environment, but I think what she is doing is unacceptable, actually, I know what she is doing is unacceptable.

a few months of me starting to work there, there have been so many complications with my pay, like not being paid on time, not being paid the right amount, not being paid and then having to ask for it, not being paid and she claims she has, and then says once the money has left her account it's out of her hands, and will try and get out of paying me. She lies, makes lame excuses or tries to avoid you when you confront her about it. I thought it was just me at first, but it appears she does this with all staff members.

I am also the youngest employee working there, and by a lot, I'm 19, almost 20 and the next person closest to my age is 38, and it goes up from there. My co-workers treat me with respect and treat me like an adult, but my boss treats and speaks to me like a child, and she gets me to do jobs that she wouldn't dare ask one of the older co-workers to do.

It's like I'm her personal little slave, if you have ever seen the devil wears prada, my boss is very much like miranda priestly.

I know what she is doing is wrong, and I have spoken to her several times about it, but it never seems to matter, it's always put back on me, and I'm made to look like an idiot.

If I didn't have such wonderful co-workers, or such amazing clients I could guarentee I would have left there already.

It's gotten to the point though, when I wake up in the morning and it's a work day, I feel nauseas, I find it difficult to sleep at night, and then stay asleep, and I'm generally unhappy.

It's hard, I love my job, my clients, my work mates, but the situation with my boss is doing my head in.

I don't know what to do
frown.gif
I know it should be obvious, quit. But I can't really afford to do that at the moment, I am meant to be studying in the latter half of the year, so it seems silly to be to quit and get a new job for a few months and then have to quit that so I can study, I don't want to seem unreliable..I'm torn, I just don't know what to do
frown.gif

What do you girls think? I need some insight from someone on the outside of this situation.

Why dont you look for another job first before quitting? If it makes you physically sick then maybe you should look for another job.

Yeah, I agree with Emily.. Try finding another job before quitting, I surely couldn't stay working in a place like that, especially when she pays you late.. :|

I know it's not as simple as quitting, but at the very least I reckon you should start to look for a new job. Even if you don't find something straight away, applying will give you a sense of acchieving something and make you feel more confident about the future.

Like, what it comes down to, is that you're not working for free. You're working for money. So if she is screwing around with that, then what are you getting out of this deal? not much!

she sounds like a jerk!

Next time she says she's not going to pay you or fix the problem, mention that you might be talking to the labour board about that sort of behavior. That might be enough to scare her into behaving. If you really want to quit though, good for you! No one should put up with that kind of crap, there's not enough money in the world to justify it. Just make sure you have another job lined up first so you aren't left unemployed.

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know what to do
frown.gif
I know it should be obvious, quit. But I can't really afford to do that at the moment, I am meant to be studying in the latter half of the year, so it seems silly to be to quit and get a new job for a few months and then have to quit that so I can study, I don't want to seem unreliable..I'm torn, I just don't know what to do
frown.gif
If you were going to work at this place indefinately, I would be telling you to start handing out resumes asap.
But it sounds like you are not going to be working once you need to focus on studying. If that is only a few months away, my advice it to tolerate the situation. You will need this job as a reference so make sure you get something nice in writing, before you leave.

I would leave because I think its the kind of situation where you're not happy and it just gets worse and worse the longer you stay there and you end up totally miserable. But look for a new job before you leave, could you maybe look around to see if anywhere is taking on summer temps? That way it would be agreed beforehand that you would be leaving after the summer and you won't look unreliable.

Yeah, a temp job would be great for this situation.

I agree with krazykid90 about the Labor Board, but if you do that, don't warn your boss about it first. The Department of Labor is very effective. I had to go there just last week because a job that I had just quit was refusing to pay me for almost an entire month. The Labor Board intervened and I got my money within two hours of leaving there! It was awesome. That and I think it goes in the employer's records. Good luck lady!

Obviously you are in a bad situation. You have identified the problem, that you have a few months to work full time, then you will be studying. If it didn't make you physically sick, I'd say stick it out, but it does. I guess I'm in the get a new job camp. Tell whoever you are interviewing the truth about your studying situation.

I think you should look for another job at another spa. Your boss seems very difficult to handle. It sucks that she is the only reason that you are hating work! I'm sure you could find something somewhere else though that you would enjoy!! It doesn't sound like you are letting this woman push you around though, which I am proud to hear! I'm glad you are confronting her about this. You can only do so much though. If she doesn't change, then it's time to peace out!!

aww i'm sorry what a b*tch...i've had a boss like that before too! look for another job at another spa. it will all work out! people like this are not happy with themselves, or jealous, & they feel like they have to take it out on somebody else. sending you a big HUG!

Without a doubt, you need to leave! Just like everyone else says, in the mean time look for another job.

I'm going to put my studying plans on hold for now and I've decided I just need to leave. The course I want to do is only a 6 monther, so I can do that anytime, right now my sanity is more important.

It's taken me a little while to reply to this thread I started, after re reading my post I was incredibly embarassed about my situation. If it was another MUT member in my position, I would think they were crazy to put up with such crap treatment and urge them to leave. I guess its different when it's actually happening to you.

It'll be really hard, it's a bitter sweet thing. I'll really miss my work mates and clients, I know some clients will follow me if I go, and I'll see my work mates socially, it just won't be the same. I know that I'll be a happier person if I leave though, and when it comes down to it, it has be to right for me, not for everyone else.

I've taken the day off today, and this morning I re wrote my resume and updated it, and started sending it out to different places, both day spas and salons, so fingers crossed I get a few bites
smile.gif

I'm sure you will! who wouldn't want someone as sweet as you working with them?

I think you've made the right decision - even knowing that you have resumes out there will make you more confident and comfortable in your present job - it's like you aren't as worried as you were before because you know you're leaving soon.

I don't think you need to be embarrassed at all - this kind of thing is just like abuse - you're certainly not in the wrong, and you shouldn't feel ashamed that someone unscrupulous has taken advantage of you!

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm going to put my studying plans on hold for now and I've decided I just need to leave. The course I want to do is only a 6 monther, so I can do that anytime, right now my sanity is more important. Hell yes!!!
It's taken me a little while to reply to this thread I started, after re reading my post I was incredibly embarassed about my situation. You shouldn't be. We all need advice sometimes. If it was another MUT member in my position, I would think they were crazy to put up with such crap treatment and urge them to leave. I guess its different when it's actually happening to you. Sometimes you know the answer/decision in your heart, but don't feel like it's the right answer. It was clear from your first post that you knew what to do, but wanted validation. You asked your friends for help in making the decision and of course we validated your decision, because it is the correct one.

I've taken the day off today, and this morning I re wrote my resume and updated it, and started sending it out to different places, both day spas and salons, so fingers crossed I get a few bites
smile.gif
I'm sure you will!

I'm glad you have decided to take action!

Back