Help me choose a curriculum!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so...i am registering to start college this fall right now but i have NO IDEA what to take!
kopfkratz.gif

i want to get a 4 year degree in something that will allow me to be flexible in my careers so i'll have plenty of job opportunities. the more logical one would be business adminstration but it's soo much math & i just know i am going to HATE it. i'm not good at math at all.
frown.gif

i love liberal arts but it doesn't seem practical because i don't want to teach or anything like that. it's lots of writing & foreign language (what i'm good at!)

some people say i should take general studies but i think that is a waste of time!! what can i do with a 4 year degree of general studies? it seems to me like repeating high school all over again. shouldn't i take more specialized classes for certain jobs?

*i like the idea of writing, graphic designer, advertising, marketing...i dunno but any advice is apperciated because i am lost.

OK, I have an answer for this one. My youngest majored in Spanish and English. Useless right? Nope, it was very, very useful. Both majors helped him to learn to commucate, which is an essential skill. He went to work in a company that develops softwear. He started as an office assistant and is now the top trainer on the system that the company sells. Does he use his majors? Not directly, but the writing and speaking skills he learned are his stock in trade. If you can learn to communicate well you can do anything. Where are you going to school? Why not UVA at Wise?

Does your college require that you declare a major as an incoming freshman? Mostly you wil be just getting generals out of the way for the first few semesters. Try to think about something you are really passionate about and see if you can make a career out of it. Good luck!

When you don't know what to take I think General Studies is a fine place to start. You can always change your major, you don't have to stay in general studies.

I'm a business major and it really isn't that much math, not as much as I thought there would be. I'm in a business statistics class right now and this will be the hardest one. But only you know how you are at different subjects! I suggest staying undecided for awhile if you can and explore classes in different subjects to find out what you like!

thanks for all the advice. i think i'm gonna go ahead & try liberal arts. lisa, i'm going to a community college. UVA is a very nice school, i might transfer there in a few years!

Back