The girl who was allergic to water...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i had to post that. DANG ! talk about stupid allergy. i didn't even know it was possible to be allergic to water.

The Girl Who Was Allergic to Water

“Teenage Girl Allergic to Water.†Sounds like a pretty sensational headline. I mean, can someone really be allergic to water?

Yep, they can. In fact, the unfortunate few people who have this problem can actually risk their lives just by taking a shower.

The allergy is a rare condition called aquagenic urticaria. People who have it develop intensely itchy, even painful hives when their skin comes into contact with water. The itchy wheals or hives develop within minutes of exposure and can persist for hours afterward.
urticaria-hives.jpg

Interestingly, any amount of water can trigger an attack. This means not only a dip in the pool or your morning shower, but also tears, sweat, and even saliva. In severe cases, it can trigger a life-threatening systemic reaction with difficulty breathing and swallowing.

Aquagenic urticaria can sometimes be prevented in these patients by coating their skin with petrolatum (plain vaseline) before exposure to water. It can also been treated with antihistamines such as Benedryl or Zyrtec.

Regular urticaria (hives), in contrast to the aquagenic type, are common. They usually present as very itchy, pink welts that make annular (circle-like) or figurate (number-like) shapes. The rash usually lasts for a few hours and in most people it is temporary. This can be quite difficult to treat and can be an almost unbearable plague for the victim.

Much to my frustration, there are many things that can trigger urticaria in patients, including:

• Medications
  • Foods
  • Food Additives (especially yellow food dye)
  • Infections
  • Emotional stress
  • Menthol
  • Some cancers
  • Airborne elements (pollen, dust mites, aerosols, molds)
  • Alcohol
Some urticarias are caused by physical triggers. They’re called physical urticaria (easy test answer). They include:
  • Dermatographism - physical scratching of the skin that results in welts
  • Cold urticaria - exposed areas of skin, such as hands and face develop hives in cold weather
  • Heat urticaria - occurs within 5 minutes of exposer to high temperatures
  • Solar urticaria - caused by sunlight
  • Pressure urticaria - hives result 3 to 12 hours after prolonged pressure on the skin
  • Exercise urticaria - hives develop 5 to 30 minutes after beginning exercise
  • Vibratory urticaria - just like it sounds.
  • And lastly, aquagenic urticaria
Source

I think I saw this on the news. A girl in australia has it. It would suck sooo badly.

Yep anything is possible. I just cant imagine being allergic to water and then there are people who are allergic to the sunlight. Its really sad because those children cant play out in the sun like all the other kids.

Whoa I've never even thought of being allergic to water! How could this people ever stay clean? I can't even imagine the heat in australia. If she's allergic to water, what can she drink?

Originally Posted by Labrat81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've heard of this before. I actually get cold urticaria. It's always the worst after I come out of a hot shower in the winter. It happens pretty often in the winter actually.....especially if my skin gets wet (shoveling snow makes me insanely itchy). Ironically my fiance gets heat urticaria....he has hives all the time in the summer when it's hot. He went to a doctor freaking out about a really bad outbreak of them....and found out he was "allergic" to heat......really it's not so much an allergy, as just an autoimmune reaction triggered by changes in temperature.

ouch ! that sucks too !

oh shame man, how do they wash them selves, or their hair???

I couldnt go a day without a shower, maybe two days, lol

Wow!! That's insane!! How do you stay clean? Wash your hair? Gross! I feel bad for them...I cannot imagine!

yea as soon as i read that i literally started wondering how they shower. omg i can't think about anything but showering if i go more than a day without showering (plus i feel gross and dirty) i can't imagine being in that predicament!

WOW! thats so sad. My DH is allergic to lots of foods but thank God he's not allergic to water. I really feel bad for these people, drinking and showering must be very hard.

I think my sister has this...Her doctor thought she was allergic to sulfur because she would break out in hives whenever she showered or sweat, but this makes a bit more sense. Hers isn't as bad as those for whom it is lifethreatening, but still really annoying and uncomfortable for her. Thanks for posting this!

the article says that she does shower, but only for one minute and then it takes 2 hours for her hives to go away and that its very painful for her.

How tragic..she's such a pretty girl too. I do know that they have a dry shampoo in hospitals for people who are bed-ridden. Maybe thats how she keeps her hair clean, at least. I wouldnt be surprised if she used an oil of some sort to "wash off" basic dirt.

I'm sorry but if water gave me hives then i'd live on sponge baths and baby wipes!
redface.gif
She's a brave girl!
smile.gif

Back