Help! Enrichment & Recreational Activities for Kids

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes, I'm stumped on what to do with my 4th grade class (ages from 9-10) who are unmotivated to do anything... bastards. Haha.

I already have planned out to do a small yearbook project and also a talent show. And every Friday, my class does "Team Games" like Kickball, Pictionary, Baseball, etcetera and the winning team gets a prize. But in between those, I would like to do easy projects or games but for older kids.

I go to websites (crayola.com) and all that but haven't found anything worth doing, especially with our limited resource of materials (contruction paper and crayons, basically).

I know there are a lot of parents on these boards and I'm willing to spend SOME cash for projects. Suggestions, please!

Oh, I have a class of 21 students... 10 boys and 11 girls - if that helps?

Thanks.

Quote:
Yes, I'm stumped on what to do with my 4th grade class (ages from 9-10) who are unmotivated to do anything... bastards. Haha. Im wondering are you a teacher or Teachers assistant........cuz i seen your blog & notice little comments like you cant stand kids & all that & if they bother you so much why would you work with kids?? I have two kids & trust they get on my Damn last nerves & I would never work with kids!!!!!

I'm a Recreational Leader for the after school program. I get no assistance or give assistant. Basically, a tutor who's suppose to do crafts and games...

I can't stand OTHER kids in the program, not so much my own class. There are days though, there are them damn days... haha. Where you just want to give them all a round kick to the face...

Oh I know Shit I wanna do that to my own at times..........lol well at least to my attitude giving baby girl!!!..........Anyways Wish I could help out about the activities cant think or remember any that would be suitable for older kids!!!

How about a treasure hunt type of thing? Hide different clues around and the prize at the end is....ummm, I don't know, a pair of movie tickets or something?

Yes' date=' I'm stumped on what to do with my 4th grade class (ages from 9-10) who are unmotivated to do anything... bastards. Haha.quote']
I just had to LMAO when I read that. I remember at that age how our class literally gave our teacher hell on purpose and I guess now I see how we made her feel lol.

Well, I think as long as you don't bring a broken steak knife, a paper weight, duct tape or rope, you should be fine. You know how kids their age can get crazy ideas lol. I'm I don't have many suggestions but I seriously can't remember what I liked to do at that age. How about looking up cheap experiment kits at crafts stores? Stuff that bill the science guy would do? I do remember that entertaining the heck out of us.

Haha yeah, when I was their age - crayons were enough for me. Now with all these technology and gizmo... crayons ain't enough.

The Scavenger Hunt is good one, Kathy. Thanks - I had that thought stashed and keep forgetting to make one. They love those.

we used to LOVE acting games when we were that age.

You could get them to do something like that? or maybe you could teach them funny relaxation techniques. I remember we used to do that with our science teacher, she'd get us all to lie down on the floor and visualise stuff and basically we all fell asleep! it's a good technique for later in life though, knowing how to relax your whole body.

The other thing you could do is get them to listen to a piece of music, (classical is good) and then get them to draw what they imagined when they were listening to it, and everyone gets to explain what they saw.

those are all I can think of right now!

Is there one of those teacher supply stores around you? Maybe they will have some fun and educational games for the kids. My friend teaches 8th grade science, and she always tells me about the awesome projects she does with her class and they love it!! I'll ask her where she finds her ideas.

Back