The Best Budget Beauty Ingredient: Epsom Salt

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let's face it, the economy is going through a tough time at the moment. With
the rising prices of gas and food, it's hard to fit $100 or more for a much-needed facial and soothing pedicure into the monthly budget. Here's some great alternatives to those high priced spa treatments. Don't fret - simply DIY with these easy and effective at-home spa recipes using Epsom Salt!

Need to exfoliate?
Mix 2 cups of Epsom Salt with 1/4 cup of petroleum jelly and a
few drops of lavender essential oil. Use the mixture to gently scrub away dry
skin patches.
Give yourself a facial.
Mix 1/2 TSP of Epsom Salt into cleansing cream for a deep-pore
cleansing. Massage on skin. Rinse with cool water. Pat dry.
Relax yourself and soak.
Add two cups of Epsom Salt to the water in a standard-
sized bathtub; soak for at least 12 minutes, three times weekly. For an extra
treat, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil for a refreshing scent.
Make Your own bath crystals.
Mix two cups of Epsom Salt with a few drops of
fragrance to create a custom bath crystal. Add a few drops of food coloring
or 1/2 TSP of glycerin if you like. Store in an air-tight container.
Three things to know about Epsom Salt:
Sometimes the perfect little beauty secret can't be found in a swank
boutique or a fancy department store. Epsom Salt can be found at your local
drugstore, supermarket or hardware store for less than a cup of coffee.
Nothing tops this inexpensive, naturally-occurring product that can improve
dull skin, relax tired muscles, exfoliate feet, remove toxins from the body,
reduce stress and improve overall health. And when you're on a budget and
pressed for time, what's better than an inexpensive, all-in-one product?
Epsom Salt – actually magnesium sulfate – is perfect for those seeking a
versatile health product that's easy to use, easy to afford and easy to find.
Whether you want to slough off rough patches of skin, increase the volume in
your hair or reduce inflammation from too much exercise, Epsom Salt is
inexpensive and effective.
For more information on the beauty benefits of this naturally occurring product, visit
Epsom Salt Industry Council.
Source

that is so neat reading about the common things around that can be used in ways you never imagined.

Thanks for sharing.

I never consider epsom salts as I only shower.

But I like the idea of using them as an inexpensive body rub.

This is great! I thought that epsom salts were only for dealing with sprains and bruises! Thanks!

Yup, I love epsom salt, totally mulitpurpose, you can even use it if you need to peewp
wink.gif

Thanks - another tip for the best natural exfoliant for the hard skin on your feet is a regular walk on the beech (if there is one near you) as sand works miracles!

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif You can even use it if you need to peewp
wink.gif
Originally Posted by beautybytheresa /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks - another tip for the best natural exfoliant for the hard skin on your feet is a regular walk on the beech (if there is one near you) as sand works miracles! That's good to know!

i always used it for baths (i ran out, but im trying to go through all the other bath stuff i have currently).

it didnt dawn on me to use it as a scrub.

I saw on Work Out last night that using like half a box in the bath tub was the best alternative to a massage. I had no idea it was THAT multi-purpose though.

i like Epsom salt !! i actually have bath salts made with regular sea salt and epsom salt, they're great !

i also read somewhere epsom salt have properties (yaddi yadda, lol) that make it ideal for bodyscrub and body care in general.

I can definitely see how it would work as a body scrub, but I'd be concerned to use it on my face. I think the epsom salt crystals are irregularly shaped and could cause some micro tears on your face (ala St Ive's Apricot scrub). Perfectly rounded spheres would be a better choice IMO.

according to a french website selling all kinds of homemade cosmetics supplies(i'm not putting the name as they don't sell much stuff internationally), it can be used to relax muscles, and pure or mixed with regular seasalt in bath salts. which would indicate it's used for bodycare. i wouldn't use it for my face either.

another interesting thing about Epsom salt is it contains lots of magnesium and can be used also as a "green" fertilizer and stimulate the photosynthesis.

I also saw the episode on Work Out about it being great if you can't get a massage. I have been working out really hard and IT WORKS!!!!. I take an epsom salt bath after each run or weight workout. I have not had the sore muscles that I usually have since I have started this. It is amazing. You should try it.

For those who shower - I found this on the website listed above:

"Spa treatment: After showering, massage handfuls of Epsom Salt over wet skin to exfoliate the body. It's the same treatment many upscale spas use, without the upscale price!"

THX for the posts! I'm hosting a surprise Mani/Pedi Margarita & Pina colada Bday party for a close girl friend who's had a ROUGH few months. ANy suggestions are greatly welcomed! THe epsom salt scrub will be great!

I got this recipe for my sister and its amazing. More for relaxation and general wellbeing but i guess that affects your beauty too eh! If I ever feel tired, strung out or ill then I run a bath and put one normal sized tub of bicarbonate of soda ( normally Dr Oetker 200g ) in the bath along with 250g Maldon Sea salt. Brand doesnt matter just as long as it is proper pure salt and not table salt with anti cakeing agents in it! I soak in the bath for about 25 mins. You may feel slightly nauseous but nothing serious. After a few hours you should feel brand new and sparkly!

Have a go! Its not expensive!

Nx

Back