Need help with mascara on asian eyes...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am asian and I recently got laser eye surgery and it has sparked an interest in wearing mascara. Before the surgery, it was impossible to wear mascara because my lashes would always touch the lenses. Now I am free of my glasses but not free of mascara and lash problems. Problem is, I have creaseless droopy lids and this pushes my lashes downwards. I curl them before I put on mascara but what I find annoying is that I can see my own lashes flapping when I blink. I try to curl them longer and put the curler as close to the skin as I can but I can always see my lashes. I love thick dark mascaras(Diorshow) but it makes it worse. I don't have a problem when I don't wear mascara because my lashes are practically invisible and don't notice them in my line of sight. I can fix it by REALLY curling them but then they end up flat against my eyelids and looks like I don't have lashes from the side. Does everyone here notice their lashes in their line of sight when you wear mascara or is it only me??? Any advice?

I think its probably the eye lash curler you are using. Shu Umerura's eye lash curler works great for Asian Eyes. I should know, I am Asian myself and use the curler as well.

I think once u replace your eye lash curler, that problem should be minimalized.

Try also using a curl enhancing mascara. I love Loreal Architect Mascara. A great long lasting and vibrantly black formula.

You can buy the eyelash curler from Sephora. Its kinda pricey tho, around 30 dollars, but will last you a life time. THE CURLER MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE, in the shape of your eye lashes. I've had mine for over two years now. Youll of course have to change the foam applicator thing tho.

Hmmm, it's actually the fashion in Asia to curl your lashes till they stand straight up almost parallel to your lids. It's especially necessary for creaseless eyelids if you want your lashes to be visible from the front, since at least 2mm of lashes near the roots will probably be invisible if you have fatty eyelids. Plus the gradual curve upward will eat away some more precious milimeters in the frontal view. So unless you have very long lashes (longer than 1.5cm), you just have to choose between having visible lashes in the frontal view and having lashes curving out in the sideview but invisible from the front.

I'm Asain too. I don't see my lashes in my line of vision when I curl my lashes and wear mascara. I don't really have a suggestion to your problem, but as ticklishlpgrl said, it might be a curler problem. Maybe you could switch your curler? If it doesn't work, I guess you can still revert back to curling up your lashes till they are really curled so its like 'standing up' and very close to your eyelids. At least then, your vision is not being blocked and also, I think when one's lashes are very curled to the point like they are 'standing up', it makes eyes appear very bright and bigger looking. Makes eyes look more sparkling. I personally prefer my lashes curled this way, but no matter which curler I use, my lashes rarely get very curled up
sleepyhead.gif
One thing you mentioned that bothers you when the lashes are very curled up is that from the side, it looks as if your lashes are nearly non exisitance. To this, I guess its at least at the side, and the side profile, though important, is not as important as the front profile of your eyes.

Thanks for the replies! Yeh I do have fatty eyelids so once I finish curling and open my eyes, my lashes just get pushed downwards and thats why I can see them
frown.gif
. Very annoying! I will give the Shu curler a try. I wanted to try a comb style heated curler but I am afraid it might burn my fatty eyelids and not give me a curl close enough to the lid
bawling.gif

Originally Posted by ticklishlpgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think its probably the eye lash curler you are using. Shu Umerura's eye lash curler works great for Asian Eyes. I should know, I am Asian myself and use the curler as well.
I think once u replace your eye lash curler, that problem should be minimalized.

Try also using a curl enhancing mascara. I love Loreal Architect Mascara. A great long lasting and vibrantly black formula.

You can buy the eyelash curler from Sephora. Its kinda pricey tho, around 30 dollars, but will last you a life time. THE CURLER MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE, in the shape of your eye lashes. I've had mine for over two years now. Youll of course have to change the foam applicator thing tho.

Shu Uemura's eyelash curler is $19.
smile.gif

im asian and this is what i do.

1. tight line ur eyes. ( under the eyelash) to make it look naturally thicker

2. line you eyes ( ontop of lashes)

3. curl ur lashes as high as you can but natually

4. MOST IMPORTANT PART. apply macara only on the tips or mayb a lil more of your lashes. dont apply it on the roots or you can see it when you blink. its ok because ur eyeliners will make your lashes look thick.

I remember yrs back when I knew nothing about MU, someone from a counter put mascara on me from root to tip and double coated it...Not only did it look gunky and gross, but I could see my lashes when I blink as if i'm 1/2 blind! Ick! My lashes are naturally long. They may be a bit sparse, but I always use eyeliner to give it the illusion of thicker lashes. I only put mascara on the tip of my lashes and curling it to give it some "oomph"

That is a good tip..so don't put mascara on the roots. But how does the curl hold if I don't do that, considering my lashes love to straighten out on me. Sorry I would give it a try right now..but I'm nowhere near my make up. Thanks

you can try apply a clear coat of mascara after curling it then apply the black mascara on just not the roots ofcourse.

Back