Question on Protein Powder

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I could ask my dad about this but I wanted other opinions and help on the subject.

Anyone know if adding protein powder will help in weight loss?

I've been making fruit shakes in the morning as my breakfast and was thinking of adding protein powder, but I don't want to bulk my ass up. Ha.

I've been searching a bit but came up with no results. If it does help in weight loss, what type of powder should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance

well the most common protein powders you'll find are for people who want to bulk up. those are to avoid.

there are powders you blend with water or soy milk and shake, but they're sold by special labs. i had some prescribed by my endocrinologist. i was advised to take three baggies per day, two days a week, and all i could eat aside were fruits and veggies. worked well, i lost about 500g a day, but it's very tiring.

If you are lookin to lose weight, protein powder is prob not the "whey" to go. It will help you gain muscle mass after workouts, but it doesnt sound like thats what you are looking for. I would just do some butt kickin cardio and let your body take care of the rest, and dont forget eating healthy is half the battle!

ps- those shakes sound gooooood
smile.gif

Thanks! I just wanted some added nutrition or whatever to my morning smoothies.

I think I've heard of flex seeds... I believe that's what they're called.

And no, I don't wanna go all Arnie and develope muscles. Maybe some but not loads.

If you want to add flax seeds to your diet, you can get them at a health food store. The colour doesn't matter - just make sure they are ground. Eating flax seeds in their shell or casing will just pass through your digestive track - you will get no health benefits.

Eating some protein with every meal can help you lose weight. Your digestive track will slow down a bit and you will not feel as hungry - thus you will not as as much. An easy way to get extra protein in your shake is to add a tablespoon of powdered milk to it.

I tablespoon has 2.2 grams of protein, no fat, 22 calories, and 6% of your daily calcium requirements.

My husband takes protein powder to help with his workouts. He has a friend who worked at GNC for a few years, I'll get Eric to ask him what he recs for you.

Calories in, calories out. Basically just use a bit and you're not going to bulk up or gain weight. You should eat some protein after a workout so your muscles can repair themselves more efficiently. Cardio and strength training is the best thing. Cardio has a bit of an afterburn, but with strength training it's a lot higher even though you burn less calories doing that than cardio.

You could exercise a couple hours a day but if you don't eat well and keep it in a good range then you won't lose the weight you want to lose.

Here's my 2-cents worth!
smile.gif

When I'm working out regularly, I have a protein shake just following a work-out. I usually use a whey protein myself.

However, when I am trying to adjust my diet to decrease caloric intake, I drink the SlimFast shakes (milk chocolate and vanilla are my faves!) with a healthy snack (some of my favorites are: cut fresh fruits and veggies; or a piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter; or pita chips and garlic or sundried tomato basil humus; or sundried tomato tortilla filled with sweet and spicy or herb & garlic tuna {the ones in the packets} with packaged salad mix, cut red and yellow peppers and a honey mustard or vinaigrette dressing). This works well for me to not feel sluggish and it curbs my appetite for a couple of hours.

I also use ground flax seeds. I buy the whole seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder daily (I read they don't stay fresh very long after being ground and this was the suggestion for the best way to keep them fresh). They are a great source of fiber, to aid in elimination (wink, wink), and they also help you feel more full (which is somewhat typical for any fiber source from what I understand).

So, like I said, there's my 2-cents worth! LOL
wink.gif

basically weight loss boils down to this....how many calories going in as opposed to how many are going outbeing used) just be balanced about each of your protein, fatr and carbs. moderation and movement. gotta walk and get that heart pumping just a little bit.

I don't know how you guys can stand protein shakes. Ick, I think they are revolting!

but good luck on your search cellers!

I haven't tried or looked for some. Haha. I see my dad buying it loads and talking to his gym buddies about it (nerds).

I just have my regular morning smoothie of bananna/strawberry and cheerios on the side. Haha, does me fine. After a workout, I either eat a banana or have some fiber cereal with no milk.

Thanks for the tips, ladies!

i used to work at a worlds gym at the juice bar and honey please dont use protein powder unless you want your muscles to look huge. because if you frink just 1 protein drink aday... plus whatever you consume.. it just might be to much. but there is one that isnt too bad .. whey protein. tastes really goooooddddd with lowfat chocolate milk... yummy! all i can say about protein powder is if you wanna develop like a dude.. then hey drink lots of it , if not then use it maybe like 2x week or something like that.! i mean everyone develops differently , me if i use protein and exercise and tone up.. my muscles blowup like a guy... so i can use that crap at all... but you may not develop like so .... just start off slow witht that stuff!

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know how you guys can stand protein shakes. Ick, I think they are revolting!
but good luck on your search cellers!

mine aren't too bad but i had mom test them first and go eww (there was a mushroom shake, just to think about it makes me go eww), "my daughter, get the sweet flavored ones !!". thanks mom
biggrin.gif

lol EWWWW mags, I hate mushroom more than almost any other vegetable apart from Squash and zucchini. GROSSNESS!!!

i only like one type of mushrooms, the little white ones, they're great on a pizza
smile.gif
the others are totally eww.

oh wait, there's the cute red and white ones, but i was so disappointed when mom told me they were poison
frown.gif

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CELLY, NNNNNNOOOOOOO

Protein powders add bulk, mass, weight!!!

I was eating them when I first started my new diet, and wasn't losing anything... I mean I started looking better, but the scale didn't reflect that, it was going UP! I was so sad till I found out that you actually gain with protein...

Back