"Crochet" yourself a Plastic Beach Bag

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Make a beach tote from plastic bags.

beachtote2.jpg
It's not exactly a beginner project for newcomer to the world of crochet, but creating a beach-friendly shoulder tote bag—sand falls right through the mesh, while the material is waterproof—both reuses that ball of grocery bags in your broom closet and is a guaranteed brag, err, conversation piece on the sand. Here's some help with making the "fabric" (thanks, KCBlueGal), and here's an overview of how it's done. (Original post)

source

I'm checking this later on, gonna go get busy in a minute, but i'll come back and read again cause this is a cute post and i want to find out how to make one of my own haha.

Thanks for the post Darla =]

Bookmarked. When I go to Walmart tonight I'm gonna grab a M hook and get started. I have seriously a zillion plastic bags in my closet.

Oh bummer, i need to get a hook to make one.

wonder if i could make it with my hands instead lol

It's creative, I'll give it that! lol I'd like to see a finished one..if any of your girls make one, post a pic!

0716081629.jpg

the pattern says to hdc, but I prefer dc. i plan on using it for a daily bag, so I didn't follow the pattern as to how many rows to use, I just stopped where I wanted. And I used a K hook because I didn't want the holes any bigger.

PS, the pattern that you shared is not the one to the pic that you included.

Originally Posted by daer0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh bummer, i need to get a hook to make one.wonder if i could make it with my hands instead lol

You could, but the holes would be pretty big, lol.

Originally Posted by KatJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/kjones1217/0716081629.jpg
the pattern says to hdc, but I prefer dc. i plan on using it for a daily bag, so I didn't follow the pattern as to how many rows to use, I just stopped where I wanted. And I used a K hook because I didn't want the holes any bigger.

so you just made the bag today? very,very cool!
anyway i just copied the article that was in lifehacker so i don't know if the pic matched the pattern or not. but evidently you figured it out and it is cool. so how many bags did that take?

I started on it last night. I have attention issues when it comes to my crafts. If I don't do it really fast, I lose interest and it ends up taking AGES to finish.

It's no problem. The link to the pattern has the right picture, so I wasn't confused until I came back to post my pic here.

Let me think... I know for a fact I used 3 target bags (I do not rec them, they were hard to crochet) probably 5 Walmart bags, about 6 AAFES bags, and 2 smaller 7-eleven bags. So, all in all I would say between 15-17 bags.

Oh, and thanks! I really enjoyed making it. Took much less time than I thought it would.

Originally Posted by KatJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/kjones1217/0716081629.jpg

Is this the one you made Kat?that looks great!

Yup! Thank you <3!!! Thanks to my cell phone I could actually share a pic.

I still have a billion and a half bags leftover, so I'm thinking about coloring some with permanent marker. Gonna have to do a test run to see how messy it will be.

Originally Posted by KatJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yup! Thank you <3!!! Thanks to my cell phone I could actually share a pic.
I still have a billion and a half bags leftover, so I'm thinking about coloring some with permanent marker. Gonna have to do a test run to see how messy it will be.

That is a pretty neat idea, i wish i could have made my own!

Wow that is so cool!

Back