*Posting Reminder* [PLEASE READ]

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Mods and myself have been noticing a lot of bumped older threads, and while we encourage folks to post their hearts away... its causing a problem where newer threads or unanswered ones are being bumped away. If a post has more revelance than "thanks to posting", then that's a-ok
smile.gif

Remember, a lot of members use the "new post" button and it becomes a *slight* problem having 6 out of 8 pages just being older bumped thread.

If you're going to bump, please be selective/choosy in that it was a useful thread for you enough for a proper response besides a thank you and not doing a massive bump in each forum. Bumps here and there everday is fine - just not loads lol.

We know some folks want to up their posting count, but slow and steady is best
wink.gif

This is in no way targeted to anyone in particular. Its a rule that's being overlooked and older and newer members haven't followed it quite yet.

Gracias.

Cel

Sorry if this is written all weird, I'm on my cellphone typing this.

Thanks for the reminder Celly, people, please go ahead and read, and feel free to reply as well, haha
wink.gif

thanks for the update Cellers, and thanks to all our muters who have already been doing this, or those who perhaps didn't know, but will keep it in mind from now on!

muchos Gracias!

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif I seen moderators here bumping up threads like from 2005! Users as well as moderators are allowed to bump threads as old as that as long as they are relevant ongoing threads like this one for example: https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f11...ead-32306.htmlIf it's a thread that contains a joke dated from 2005 and people reply to it by saying just a "lol", or only post a smiley like this
smile.gif
or just to say "thanks" then it becomes obvious that all they want to do is up their post count, this thread is a reminder for those that don't know that bumping of an old thread that isnt relevant anymore just to up their post will result in a warning, and if they continue to do so will result in an infraction as well. It is better to start fresh threads with either questions, topics or just to post in new threads with comments that actually have a meaning to them to up their post count rather than doing all the stuff mentioned above.

Thanks Celly and Nury... there were so many times I clicked on a thread thinking it was new.. only to see a smiley, "lol" or "thanks." Seriously, exactly like you said. Oh, "I agree" is one of them too. It's annoying when they don't post anything important.

Oh course I will bump when I have a question about a topic I already posted a thread about, instead of starting a new one.

The only other comment I have is when people bump sale threads from 2 years ago and say "i'll take _____ pigment, is it still available?" OR when someone bumps a thread to give someone advice, and the thread is two years old. Like say the thread was about having a dilemma at work. The person who bumps the thread now is like (ie.)"I think you should just tell your boss off and quit" Um thanks for the advice... but that was TWO YEARS AGO and the same poster who posted for advice might not even be an active member here anymore. Does that make sense? Just PLEASE check the date before you post something like this.

Anyway, I hope I didn't come off as mean in this post. I understand some posters don't realize right away... when I first joined I posted in a thread and realized I bumped a really old one. I just think what Celly is asking will keep the boards neater.

bella, you've pretty much said exactly what i was thinking, lol.

So we can be mean together if people want to take it in that way!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks Celly and Nury... there were so many times I clicked on a thread thinking it was new.. only to see a smiley, "lol" or "thanks." Seriously, exactly like you said. Oh, "I agree" is one of them too. It's annoying when they don't post anything important.
Oh course I will bump when I have a question about a topic I already posted a thread about, instead of starting a new one.

The only other comment I have is when people bump sale threads from 2 years ago and say "i'll take _____ pigment, is it still available?" OR when someone bumps a thread to give someone advice, and the thread is two years old. Like say the thread was about having a dilemma at work. The person who bumps the thread now is like (ie.)"I think you should just tell your boss off and quit" Um thanks for the advice... but that was TWO YEARS AGO and the same poster who posted for advice might not even be an active member here anymore. Does that make sense? Just PLEASE check the date before you post something like this.

Anyway, I hope I didn't come off as mean in this post. I understand some posters don't realize right away... when I first joined I posted in a thread and realized I bumped a really old one. I just think what Celly is asking will keep the boards neater.

That is one good example of what we are trying to remind users not to do in this thread, thanks Nicole
smile.gif
But it is important that people look at the date of the threads, especially when they are threads like the ones you mentioned, in advice and rants, love and relationships, health and fitness and so on, if they didnt reply updating on how the situation turned out for them, and the thread has been idle for a couple of years then there is no point on replying to it anymore.
smile.gif

And this is just because sometimes there are other new threads that have been posted that get bumped down and forgotten that barely or dont get any answers at all, because people bump old irrelevant ones as well.

Thanks to everyone for understanding
biggrin.gif

I don't think a post count is that important. I hate bumping. But it is annoying.

Originally Posted by daer0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif It is better to start fresh threads with either questions, topics or just to post in new threads with comments that actually have a meaning to them to up their post count rather than doing all the stuff mentioned above. But if we do this, which many have, won't it still bring up old post, to a point? I know when we have a lot of new users asking old questions (ie. monistat anti chafing gel, brush questions, how to get the last bit of udpp,etc) and some of the older users, including myself will try to lead them in the right direction and post links to old threads answering their questions, since a lot of new users aren't aware that they can do a search and therefore they might ask questions on old threads bumping out the newer ones, not realizing that that user may not even be a member any more or how old the thread really is? Whew! I think that was a run on sentence lol.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif But if we do this, which many have, won't it still bring up old post, to a point? I know when we have a lot of new users asking old questions (ie. monistat anti chafing gel, brush questions, how to get the last bit of udpp,etc) and some of the older users, including myself will try to lead them in the right direction and post links to old threads answering their questions, since a lot of new users aren't aware that they can do a search and therefore they might ask questions on old threads bumping out the newer ones, not realizing that that user may not even be a member any more or how old the thread really is? Whew! I think that was a run on sentence lol. Linking to an older thread with useful/pertinent information is okay. We mean bumping threads which no longer have any real relevancy to anything.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Linking to an older thread with useful/pertinent information is okay. We mean bumping threads which no longer have any real relevancy to anything. Oh okay, well that makes more sense. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif But if we do this, which many have, won't it still bring up old post, to a point? I know when we have a lot of new users asking old questions (ie. monistat anti chafing gel, brush questions, how to get the last bit of udpp,etc) and some of the older users, including myself will try to lead them in the right direction and post links to old threads answering their questions, since a lot of new users aren't aware that they can do a search and therefore they might ask questions on old threads bumping out the newer ones, not realizing that that user may not even be a member any more or how old the thread really is? Whew! I think that was a run on sentence lol. I explained this here, maybe you missed that post?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by daer0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif Users as well as moderators are allowed to bump threads as old as that as long as they are relevant ongoing threads like this one for example: https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f11...ead-32306.htmlIf it's a thread that contains a joke dated from 2005 and people reply to it by saying just a "lol", or only post a smiley like this
smile.gif
or just to say "thanks" then it becomes obvious that all they want to do is up their post count, this thread is a reminder for those that don't know that bumping of an old thread that isnt relevant anymore just to up their post will result in a warning, and if they continue to do so will result in an infraction as well. It is better to start fresh threads with either questions, topics or just to post in new threads with comments that actually have a meaning to them to up their post count rather than doing all the stuff mentioned above.

Yeah it's annoying when you make a thread but it gets pushed to 2nd page because of people bumping threads from like 2005! Thanks for posting
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif But if we do this, which many have, won't it still bring up old post, to a point? I know when we have a lot of new users asking old questions (ie. monistat anti chafing gel, brush questions, how to get the last bit of udpp,etc) and some of the older users, including myself will try to lead them in the right direction and post links to old threads answering their questions, since a lot of new users aren't aware that they can do a search and therefore they might ask questions on old threads bumping out the newer ones, not realizing that that user may not even be a member any more or how old the thread really is? Whew! I think that was a run on sentence lol. Users can post in an old thread if they actually have something to add or to ask (if still possible...If the thread is on UPDD, and someone has a relevant question, that's okay. If the thread is on a Outfit of the Day from 2005, don't ask the original poster where they got their shirt from).
But please don't pull up a bunch of threads just to say "thanks for sharing", "thanks", "thanks for posting", "lol". These things are okay if the thread is still new or active, but there's no reason to pull up an old thread just to do this.

i didn't notice this happening that much. everyday, i read a good number of new threads... but ok.

Back