Sign in to follow this  
Karren

***The Official Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Thread***

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton View Post
Unbelievable!!! I thought he lost!! By 1/100 th of a second!!! Amazing!!!!
I know, holy crap!!! How'd he do that???

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl View Post
I know, holy crap!!! How'd he do that???
Looks like the guy on his left started to coast and Michael power stroked right into the wall.... wow

Hey everybody - Canada now has a bronze, a silver and a gold medal!!!

Two are in women's wrestling and the silver in two men rowing.

Congrats to the Jamaican that smashed the world record and Olympic record in the 100 metre race.

The wrestler that dropped his bronze medal has now lost it due to poor sportsmanship

- can't copy the source, my apologies

Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post

Congrats to the Jamaican that smashed the world record and Olympic record in the 100 metre race.

The wrestler that dropped his bronze medal has now lost it due to poor sportsmanship

Congrats on the gold, silver and bronze for Canada, Carolyn! smile.gif

Yea for Canadia!! smile.gif

Did he drop it on purpose? Didn't hear about that... Was just watching tennis... Swiss vs Sweden... and soccor... Argentina vs Holland.... While I was working on the french doors of coarse!!

Thanks Shaundra - I was starting to get worried about Canada lol

Karren, I was able to copy the source:

Wrestler stripped of bronze after dropping it in protest

Updated Sat. Aug. 16 2008 5:44 AM ET

The Associated Press

BEIJING -- A Swedish wrestler has been disqualified and stripped of his bronze medal for dropping his medal in protest.

The International Olympic Committee says Ara Abrahamian has been kicked out of the Beijing Olympics for violating the spirit of fair play during the medal ceremony.

Abrahamian walked off the medals podium and dropped the medal on the mat after taking third in the Greco-Roman 84-kilogram division Thursday. He became incensed when a disputed penalty call decided his semifinal match against Italian Andrea Minguzzi, who went on to win the gold medal.

The IOC executive board ruled Saturday the wrestler's action amounted to a political demonstration and a mark of disrespect to his fellow athletes.

The IOC says no athlete will receive Abrahamian's medal.

CTV.ca | Wrestler stripped of bronze after dropping it in protest

Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post

He needed to lose it. His behavior was ridicuous after the mat and and the ceremony. He said he didn't care for the bronze when he dropped it, anyway.

Like a stomping, crying brat.

i did see the double skull win the Canadians had. way to go Canada.

I heard Poland won its first medal of the games too in shot put. please about that too.

and the Swedish wrestler. well he deserved to lose it. I saw a replay of the call and sure it was subjective but at that point its over. Now he has nothing.

The water cube is a pretty cool venue for swimming , but have you seen the stadium for track and field, called the Birds Nest.

thebirdsnest.jpg

It is really cool also. Women's marathon coming up tonight! the british favorite had stress fractures 8 weeks ago? we'll see

Anyone read that some of the fireworks that were shown on TV for the opening ceramony were computer generated just for the TV audience??? wtf????

Anyone read that some of the fireworks that were shown on TV for the opening ceramony were computer generated just for the TV audience??? wtf????
I wouldn't doubt it. They were probably concerned that the fireworks wouldn't be visible through the smog...

Yeah, they said the display was too big to be able to show it in it's entirety in the tv alloted time so they had to record part of it and then show it at the same time with what was scheduled to broadcast.

Originally Posted by Darla_G View Post
The water cube is a pretty cool venue for swimming , but have you seen the stadium for track and field, called the Birds Nest.

http://rawartint.files.wordpress.com...ebirdsnest.jpg

It is really cool also. Women's marathon coming up tonight! the british favorite had stress fractures 8 weeks ago? we'll see

Yeah, that thing is crazy- in the opening ceremony when the guys were wearing those light up Riddler suits (they reminded me of Jim Carrey as the Riddler in Batman, lol!) they formed the shape of the Bird's Nest.

That river they built for the white water canoeing and such is awesome!

Hopefully this link will work since it's a slideshow:

2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games | Photos | NBA Finals Party & Swimming Photos | NBC Olympics

awwww Torres misses her gold by 1/100th of a second... same margin that Phelps won yesterday....

Torres is so awesome. another person I am just so impressed with. The diving earlier was pretty cool too.

oly_a_torres_412.jpg

In Baltimore after the Ravens football game they put his race up on the big screen at M&T Bank Stadium. Phelps grew up in Towson that is just north of Baltimore.

oly_phelps_8gold_vtop.jpg

Ok so the big questions is.......... Does Micheal Phelps shave his entire body every day... epilate or get waxed? biggrin.gif

And... Is it just me that finds the fact that the tops that Briazilian women in beach volley ball are wearing with the word BRA accross the front of them.. Is just a bit funny?

Ya know it's just like Christmas - you go to sleep wishing for lots of presnts and you wake up to find three more medals! One gold and two bronze in rowing!

Canada rocks, and not just in curling!

PHelps rules, hands down. It will be a long time until anyone is close to what he did. USA rules

2008 Olympics: Complete Medal Standings As of 8/17, 11:50 PM ET

COUNTRY GOLD-SILVER-BRONZE - TOTAL

United States 19 21 25 65

China 35 13 13 61

Russia 7 12 12 31

Australia 8 10 11 29

Great Britain 11 6 8 25

France 4 9 12 25

South Korea 8 9 5 22

Germany 9 6 6 21

Japan 8 5 7 20

Italy 6 6 6 18