Need HELP for moisturizer under mineral makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some moisturizer help. I have an oily T-zone but the rest of my face is normal. No matter what kind of moisturizer or primer or anything I try on my face before putting on mineral makeup, by lunch time my T-zone is oily looking. I have tried Fyrianne rice powder primer that lots of people raved about, tried MAD mineral finishing powder that some people said did not let oil come through, tried various other primers and finishing powders that were supposed to keep oil at bay, but no such luck with me. I wear an oil-free moisturizer - I was wearing Oil of Olay and then switched to Aveeno (both oil-free). I even tried not putting moisturizer on my T-zone and still the oil came through. What do you ladies suggest that I try? I'm at a loss of what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cin

when i first tried fyrinnae rice powder, was appaled that my face looked even more oilier than usual. it turns out (as pointed in another threat) that fyrinnae made my skin so dry so my glands overcompensate it with pumping more oil. and yeah, the texture of my skin is so dry, yet it's so darn oily.

according to an advice here, i put on some natural oil (half spritz of emu oil mixed w/ one spritz of evian brumisateur), wait a bit and start to apply my mmu as usual, fyrinnae et al.

believe it or not, my skin is less oily that way. it's after lunch and my face doesnt need any touch up. magic....

There are lots of possibilities, unfortunately it is trial and error as our skin reacts differently even if we have the same problems.

Silk Naturals oil primer I find to be very good, she uses silk, calcium carbonate and silica as absorbers in place of clay so it is less drying to the skin. Most days my skin is OK but sometimes you just need to have some veil or perfecting powder for touch ups during the day.

I also sometimes use an oil mattafier(?sp?), I currently have a Mary Kay tube but I am sure others make it. This works really well but you need to make sure you only use it on the oily areas and only a little bit because it is very drying.

Good luck!

I've been using Clean and Clear Oil Free Soft Moisturizer with SPF15. I usually use Murad Oil Free Pomegranete, but picked this up when I ran out and so far I really like it. It was only about $7 at Target. I wear it under my Signature Minerals foundie and haven't had any issues.

Thanks, I just placed a sample order from Silk Naturals and ordered a sample of the primer to try. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by mgmsrk /img/forum/go_quote.gif There are lots of possibilities, unfortunately it is trial and error as our skin reacts differently even if we have the same problems.
Silk Naturals oil primer I find to be very good, she uses silk, calcium carbonate and silica as absorbers in place of clay so it is less drying to the skin. Most days my skin is OK but sometimes you just need to have some veil or perfecting powder for touch ups during the day.

I also sometimes use an oil mattafier(?sp?), I currently have a Mary Kay tube but I am sure others make it. This works really well but you need to make sure you only use it on the oily areas and only a little bit because it is very drying.

Good luck!

So, you find you don't get oily when you use the Clean and Clear Oil Free Soft Moisturizer? I am only oily in the T-zone, but I really shine.

Originally Posted by cindyks625 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've been using Clean and Clear Oil Free Soft Moisturizer with SPF15. I usually use Murad Oil Free Pomegranete, but picked this up when I ran out and so far I really like it. It was only about $7 at Target. I wear it under my Signature Minerals foundie and haven't had any issues.

Yesterday when I was out shopping looking for my eye cream I noticed a clear oil control powder, I am pretty sure it was by Clean and Clear. It looked like a little compact, I read the directions out of curiosity and it looks like you would use it under your makeup. I think it was about $5.

I would suggest Weleda's almond hydrating cream which is for combo skins. I only tried samples of it but L'occitane has a moisturizer (based on rice) that is mattifying and it does a great job, so great i would suggest you use it on the oily parts of your face.

I also use Lily Lolo's translucent silk powder, and it does a good job at keeping my face matte. Even when i blow my nose at the end of the day you barely see osme oiliness.

I use a drop of emu oil applied to my damp face every couple of days. I do not moisturize every day, and I let the emu oil soak in for a good half-hour or more before applying makeup.

I do think that many people with oily t-zones just need to accept the fact that you're going to have to powder over it a couple times a day.

I use Clinique Moisture Surge. I have difficult skin though, so I'm not sure if it works for oily skin....

Back