Prepping for Bed

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Prepping for Bed

The key to a good night's sleep is relaxing before bed. How to prep for a good night's sleep.

source

By: Brian Andrew

Do you lie in bed asking yourself when you're going to fall asleep? Few positions are more frustrating. But if you're one of the 20 million Americans who suffer from insomnia, your problems might begin well before you lay your head on the pillow. Forget counting sheep. According to Philip Tucker and colleagues at the University of Wales, the key to a good night's sleep is relaxing before bed. Certain enjoyable pre-bedtime practices can prep the body for sleep by easing the stress ac***ulated throughout the day and restoring depleted resources.

Don't Worry, Be Happy According to a study by Christoph Randler at the University of Heidelberg, early rising is correlated with agreeableness and conscientiousness, while a tendency to stay up late can be a sign of neuroticism. Cultivate cheerfulness, and maybe you'll be inclined to tuck in earlier.

Tune Out You've likely spent all day thinking. So let your mind rest before bed. Evening activities that involve lower mental effort, such as yoga, cooking or listening to calm music, are associated with better-rated sleep, as well as less fatigue the next day.

Leave Work at the Office For most people in the University of Wales study, working in the evening preceded their lowest-rated sleep. Working until bedtime doesn't leave time for your strained mind to recover. And it sparks an ac***ulation of the stress hormone cortisol, which in turn makes falling asleep difficult. (This rule doesn't apply to those rare souls who experience extra work as pleasurable instead of taxing.)

Stay Cool Maximum sleepiness is experienced when your core body temperature is at its lowest. The redistribution of heat from your core to your arms and legs induces relaxation and rapidly lowers the heart rate, prepping the body for sleep. In fact, many types of insomnia are associated with abnormally elevated body temperatures, according to a study from Flinders University in Australia.

For Sleep and Sex Only It's best to keep televisions, computers, and exercise equipment out of your bedroom. Otherwise, your mind and body subconsciously associate the bedroom with non-sleep related activities.

Watch What You Eat Caffeinated drinks taken too close to bedtime block the chemical adenosine from binding to nerve cells, which induces sleepiness. Nicotine, too, can inhibit sleeping by raising the blood pressure and speeding up both your heart rate and your brain waves. In contrast, researchers at the University of Sydney showed that eating carbohydrate-based meals that break down rapidly during digestion—such as baked potatoes, white rice, and white bread—help bring on sleep, especially if you eat them four hours before bedtime.

Protect Your Sleep A stressful or disruptive late-night activity can have dramatic effects on the restorative processes that deep sleep enables. These processes include the activation of your immune system and the synaptic downscaling in your brain that promotes memory and learning. So plan your evenings carefully.

I'm sure glad I fall asleep withing seconds of hitting the pillow.. Even after downing large quantities of caffine.. Playing a couple hours of hockey usually helps.. Lol

Great tips Darla..

Thanks Darla, great tips !

I agree listening to some relaxing music helps, so does a good herbal infusion for me. Or i can lend you some law books, some are so interesting you might print the page on your cheek
lol.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks Darla, great tips !
I agree listening to some relaxing music helps, so does a good herbal infusion for me. Or i can lend you some law books, some are so interesting you might print the page on your cheek
lol.gif

haha i get the picture!

Great tips, I always have problems falling asleep and it has alot to do with a restless mind. I just always have so much going on.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Great tips, I always have problems falling asleep and it has alot to do with a restless mind. I just always have so much going on. Yes! lol
Too much stuff bombards my brain, esp. before I fall asleep...

Seems like I wait all day to do my best thinking in bed..or worst... I have to learn to tune myself out so I can get some zzzz's!!!!

One of my friends who practised yoga told me before bed, he had to count 3 good things that had happened in his life that day, something he did or something like "i manage to take an earlier train", something like that.

Surely if you keep thinkign about the events of the day your mind won't rest, so i think some positive thinking can help.

Back