Ipod in the Washing Machine

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know what's wrong with my brain lately. Normally I check all my pockets before putting my clothes in the washing.

For some reason I didn't the other day.

At the same time I noticed my ipod was missing, I turned everything in my bedroom upside down looking for it. I checked college to see if they'd had an ipod handed into lost property or anything.

It turned up this morning in the washing machine. It had been in my pocket, I'd forgot to check my pockets.

Ugh
frown.gif

And now after its little swimming trip it looks like my ipod is no more. No signs of life at all, I've put it on the radiator to dry out but I'm not hopeful.

I'm so annoyed now.
icon8.gif
The only time I didn't check my pockets. Arghhh.

Awwwww.... I usually just loose coins.... and had a flash drive go through the wash and it survived... Guess you had better ask Santa for a new one for the holidays?

Let it continue to dry out. Depending on the ipod, allot of solid state electronics can "dry out" after time. Some can and some cannot. If it has a hard drive, then you're prolly way out of luck

Here are some vids to possibly help:

maybe not all is lost. My son's new camera went in the swimming pool and i managed to rescue it!. See my thread here for tips. I would say the big thing is to get it open! hard to do for iPods.

Time is of the essence! the sooner you take action the more likelihood it will be fixed. Do not apply power or attempt to turn untill you are reasonablely sure you got the water out!

Thanks for the vids T!
smile.gif

I'm gunna try the rice thing that the guy suggests in the first video because that's the same ipod as I have.

It's an ipod nano. I was going to try and get the back off it like your other thread said but as far as I know the back doesn't come off (unless I'm not doing it right...)

is that a new Nano or i assume from the pic its the last generation. the only one I've disassembled (and successfully reassembled btw) was the original iPod. They make it tricky on purpose and the battery hard to replace because they want you to think of them as disposible. once the battery goes replace them.

if you shake real hard does any water come out from what you tell? if you can't get it apart the key will be to find the smallest opening on the unit and have it sealed to a vacuum cleaner hose. Then you can Gently heat with a hair dryer. the reason for the vacuum is that even with just heat applied the water in there will vaporize but will stay in the iPod when the heat is removed . even a slight vacuum will get that water vapor out. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Yeah it's the last generation one. They make them so you can't take the back off and then if it breaks you have to buy a new one.

No water came out when I shook it. I left it on the radiator for a while then blow dryed it with a hairdryer for about 20 mins and now it's in a cup of rice. I've just had a look and the water that was in the screen has gone so I'm gunna leave it until late tonight or tomorrow morning and see it it works.

i mentioned the vacuum because what would happen in the water would vaporize when heat would be applied, but never left the case of the camera. In my case i could actually see water drops in the lens. there were a lot less but they were still there.

looking for helpful links to open 3rd Gen iPod

5-1.jpg

I think that picture tells the story. the case is all metal so you can really hurt it. get a real small flat head screw driver and pry away gently. the last set of instructions show where all the tabs are at.

Aw that's so annoying! the most i've ever done was dropping my ipod on my driveway. Made it through with a couple of chips but none all that noticeable thank god.

Hope the ricee thinig work out!

Oh lord, I've done the same thing and had to buy a new one. I hope airing it out works for you!

Aww sweetie we're just having bad luck aren't we!! Same thing happened to my phone, except it was a toilet, lol. After a few days it kind acts like it wants to turn on, it lights up but then goes right back off. Maybe after a few days or something it'll start working. Maybe your IPOD will.

Oh my, hope it will work again or maybe you can include an ipod on your wishlist this holiday.

Back