Just a little rant. I swear. Ok, that's a Lie!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ARG!!!

I swear, the people at my uni are SO, SO retarded! I just had to let off some steam about this as it's driving me utterly, utterly crazy! GRRR!

Ok, for a start, a while ago I realised that I have completed two thirds of the subjects offered for the coursework component of my degree as undergraduate subjects, which means you can't retake them. So, I'm left with very few subjects to choose from. This is problem #1.

#2 - I decided I'd find out if I could get a language course (for my internship) to count for coursework credit - this would be cheaper for me than private classes, it would mean I'd have more choice for coursework, etc etc, perfect solution right? BUT! my advisor never got back to me. I feel like I ring him once a week! FOOL! anyway, he doesn't know if it's possible, although I really can't see the difficulty, so I'm left ringing around all the departments and stuff myself to see what they think, which I would have done first if I'd known that the people in my department were such fools.

#3. My project supervisor - the one with the museum, not with the uni, has wanted me to work right through. I'm actually on summer break from uni until march. Enrollment only opened on monday! I've tried to explain to him that I can't give him a unit outline with due dates in it, as I'm not able to enroll yet, but he seems incapable of understanding this.

#4 . There are glitches with trying to enroll. I should have been enrolled on monday, but the uni changed all the course codes, and you have to complete one course to be eligible to enroll in the second part of it - for example, MUT101 must be completed before you can do MUT201. But, because of the changing course codes, it won't recognize that I've completed the first component, and no one seems to know who I need to speak to in order to get this fixed. I've left it in the hands of my retarded supervisor who probably won't get back to me in time for me to enroll at all.

and FINALLY (long rant, thanks for reading this far!)

#5. I sent the Museum supervisor guy an email letting him know I'm having difficulty enrolling so I can't give him due dates, but that I'll get back to him as soon as I know what they are, and that I'm available to do some interviews (even though classes havent started yet, and don't start for another 2 months.)

WELL, he KNOWS I'm at work, which is why I sent an email (rather than call) in the first place. But he calls, and I don't answer, since I'm AT WORK, and he leaves this message which is all, we really need to talk about the problems that are going to arise from this, yada yada. Well, hello, I'm on uni break! I can't FORCE anyone to get back to me re: enrollment, and I'm working when I'm not even supposed to be, so you can damn well work around me! GRUMBLE!
pedro.gif

Anyway, thanks for listening (er, reading) I'm just so furious about how incompetent these people are. Like how difficult is it to return calls, know your stuff, or who is the next best person to speak to? it's called being halfway decent at your job!

Rosie,

I am going through similiar things with my Graduate program. It seems like universities don't understand that students have lives outside of school, and we can't spend all of our time dealing with what should be easily solved issues.
pedro.gif

First time Graduate students at my school were not allowed to register until 12/22. School started on 1/6. The whole school was off from 12/24 until 1/5. I was lucky to get registered at all.
kopfkratz.gif

Just remember that it will all be worth it when you have your degree.
rockwoot.gif

thanks Andrea. Its good to be reminded of the positives, since I've been thinking that it's not really worth it -in Oz, you have to pay a LOT in HECs fees (uni payments) that come out of your wages once you earn over a certain margin - surely the lack of money I'm able to earn now as a student, coupled with the uni fees I'll have to pay once I start to work full time.... I would have been significantly better off to stop after my undergraduate degree!

people who do anything higher than me must be a. living in their own little fantasy world or b. absolute saints.

i'm not experienced with the university graduate program. i understand it must be frustrating and i hope things work out for you. hugs.

I totally know the feeling Rosie...Sometimes things like that make me so mad I want to punch someone. lol

I'm having some "issues" with my Uni and apparently late registration is on 1/15. I wasn't able to do early registration in Dec because I owe the school tuition from last yr that carried over. So I finally paid it off which took 2 wks to clear and then they tell me I couldn't get a registration date until I fill out a re-admission form since I took a yr off school. Grrrrrr!

So then I figured why make an extra trip to the school office when they have a fax number. I just printed out the readmission form online and then faxed it to them. I waited a few days and then called the office to see if they received my application. The lady put me on hold for 10 mins trying to look for it and couldn't find it. I told her I faxed it a few days ago and she said that I could ONLY hand it in person OR have it mailed. Which totally makes no damn sense because if I could have it sent snail mail, what difference would it make if it was faxed over??! All they have to do is input my information onto a computer AND give me my registration date for crying out loud! Sometimes I don't understand why the school has to be so freakin complicated! >
frown.gif

Ok, I'm done ranting now....lol

Jeez, seems like everyone's having problems with their schools.
frown.gif
I'm you're having such trouble, Rosie! I hope it works out...maybe there's some research you can do on your own about the credits? Sometimes taking things into your own hands is the best solution.

I'm totally frustrated with my university, too. I just transferred, and I'm totally kicking myself because I don't think it was the right decision after all! Everyone is so unorganized. They've had me running in circles for the past two weeks! The dorm I live in is super far away from everything, so it's even worse. I had to walk across campus to go pick up my u-pass (gives me access to public transportation), but couldn't do so until I registered for classes, I couldn't register for classes until I took some stupid placement tests that didn't even pertain to me or my major, I couldn't take my placement tests until the start of term (Monday!), and that meant I'd have to walk/cab/bus back to that stupid building again! SO FRUSTRATING!

So I finally took the placement tests, but still couldn't register for all my classes because the scores hadn't been uploaded yet, so I went back to the testing center and asked how long it would take, and they looked at me like I was crazy and had no answers for me. So, I called to speak to my advisor, and was told to call back in a few hours after walk-ins were over. I did so, and I got an automated message saying the office was closed and the hours are 8am-5pm. Guess what time I called? 4:15 pm! It's impossible to do much of anything when no one wants to help or even cares! The past few days I've just been showing up to the classes I hope to register in soon. There's no way I'm going to be behind on my school work just because my uni's hired monkeys with poo for brains to run the admin. UGH.

OH! And the wireless doesn't work in my part of the building and the campus service people that are supposed to help me know absolutely nothing about Macs. I'm currently leeching from some unknown place...don't know how long this'll last lol.

Sorry...guess I had a bit of a long rant too, lol.

I could only imagine how frustrating that would be! I know TAFE is very different to uni, but when I was going to tafe I had the same sort of nightmarish problems with enrolling and trying to prove and transfer my modules from previous courses to the new course and not being allowed to enrol until it had been transfered, and of course this all needed to be done BEFORE enrollment even though enrollments weren't open yet. So I can completely understand your frustration! Even though this is painful, it will be sooo worth it in the end, it'll sort itself out, even if you have to deal with incompetant morons!

And you sure have a lot of irons in the fire, Rosie!! How could the university mess up the numbers so bad? That's got to screw up just about everyone I'd think!!

They don't let you take personal calls at work?

Everyone has their own adjenda and its never in line with yours.

that sounds so incredibly annoying, rosie! i'm sorry =( i don't get how such incompetent people get so much power sometimes. i'm still in high school, and the whole tenure system is so stupid. incompetent teachers get their tenure after just 3 years.

Back